Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New gas tank . . . Harley comes thru!  (Read 2512 times)

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
New gas tank . . . Harley comes thru!
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:05:02 AM »

Two weeks ago I notified my dealer of rust under the clearcoat of my black n silver Breakout.   No questions asked, the new tank arrived today.  I expect the same results with my rear fender.  Rust spot was about 1/8" long.  So the question now is . . . with the tank off, are there any mods that should be considered?  When my rear fender comes, I'll be sure to have them remove the dang rear reflector.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
Re: New gas tank . . . Harley comes thru!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:51:39 AM »

That's is great news!  Make sure they put the trim ring on correctly!

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:58:48 AM »

hey speedy,

since you have the 2-1 VH exhaust, I assume you already have fueler, but I did have the guys at my dealership raise up the tank to run the Powervision ECU cable under it so I could mount the unit on the handlebars....That's the only tank related item I have come across that required it to be off...

this is great to hear....they replace my front fender also with no questions asked....
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 07:14:06 PM »

That's is great news!  Make sure they put the trim ring on correctly!
Nick, you mean around the fuel cap?  What should i be on the lookout for?
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 07:16:26 PM »

hey speedy,

since you have the 2-1 VH exhaust, I assume you already have fueler, but I did have the guys at my dealership raise up the tank to run the Powervision ECU cable under it so I could mount the unit on the handlebars....That's the only tank related item I have come across that required it to be off...

this is great to hear....they replace my front fender also with no questions asked....
you too?  Looks like its something we all should monitor except the crimson red Breakouts

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 12:02:06 AM »

Nick, you mean around the fuel cap?  What should i be on the lookout for?

Yes....the trim ring is just a double sided tape ring.  The ring has to go with the flow of the tank.....meaning it can be put on wrong.  I had my tank replaced before I finalized my deal.  The trim ring was put on a little off....it is lifted a little on about 1/8 of the way around because it needs to be turned about 1/4".  It's not a big deal and I do have a replacement one, but I don't wanna mess with it unless it falls off or it gets worse.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 04:39:25 AM »

Yes....the trim ring is just a double sided tape ring.  The ring has to go with the flow of the tank.....meaning it can be put on wrong.  I had my tank replaced before I finalized my deal.  The trim ring was put on a little off....it is lifted a little on about 1/8 of the way around because it needs to be turned about 1/4".  It's not a big deal and I do have a replacement one, but I don't wanna mess with it unless it falls off or it gets worse.
Thanks for the heads up.  My dealer informed me today they ordered a new rear fender.  I'm a happy man.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 10:22:57 AM »

absolutely true.  I had the flush cap on my 2008 Softail, and it took be a few "dry runs" to get the ring turned just the right way to lay exactly flat to the curvature of the tank before taping it down permanently....No doubt there are probably many HD techs out there that have to clue about that and will put it on wrong....
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.