Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Breakout for long distance touring???  (Read 21553 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Re: Breakout for long distance touring???
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 08:22:04 PM »

Start out with a new tire....and go 200 miles a day and have great time :2vrolijk_21:

JakeB

• Full CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2014 SERK
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »

I had a 2005 deuce.  I rode that bad boy 1900 miles from Washington to SE Iowa in 2 days.  Spent 5 days and then turned around and came home in 2 days.  I was by myself though and I wasn't sight seeing.  I was on a mission!  I remember when I got there I felt like I was strung out on drugs!  Best thing I ever did though.  Hell people used to ride horses all day through the country side and they lived.  Enjoy your trip brother, and remember those that came before you that explored their world with only the minimum required to get by!
Jake

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 07:45:11 AM »

I road a Softail to Sturgis and back in the mid-90's (1000 miles one way).  It about killed my back.  Exhausting experience.  My SEUC is like a lazy boy on wheels in comparison...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 08:40:18 AM »

5,000 miles in 2.5 weeks is only about 300 miles a day. You should easily do that average on any MC. I would personally put on a small windshield, make sure the sadle is comfortable for you. (Never had a MC I kept the stock seat on, most of mine have got a Corbin attached)

Then a set of highway pegs and you are good to go.

Snapperkid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »

Long distance!? Oh hell no!
2015 Road Glide Special
2014 Honda Goldwing (When moma rides!)
2013 Breakout CVO (Bar Hopper)
2013 Road King CVO (Sold)
2009 Ultra CVO (Sold)
2011 Road King Custom (Sold)
2012 Road Glide CVO (Sold)
2012 Street Glide CVO (Sold)
2011 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Road Glide (Sold)
2002 Road King (Sold)
1994 Softtail Springer (Sold)
1972 Harley (Can't Remember)

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSBSE - Red ones go faster!
    • Rockhampton HOG
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 09:14:28 AM »

Go for it!  :drink:

But if you intend on doing long days in the saddle then Bike Fitness is the key. Get out on the bike as often as you can and for as long as you can prior to the trip.

If I ride out to work for the week (1200km round trip) and I haven't been on the bike much then I really feel it but if I have been getting plenty of rides in then I feel fine. And this is with 2 inches dropped out of the rear suspension!

We just did 3500km for a long weekend to the 23rd National HOG Rally here in Australia, I had been riding out to work and doing plenty of short trips prior. Not once did I feel sore other than the odd bone jarring bump in the road.
Cheers
Brett

2013 FXSBSE with ProCharger - Giddy Up!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 10:10:03 AM »

No reason not to ride long distance. Most of us have before we got spoiled with our road couches.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 12:15:28 PM »

Of course horses didn't go 70mph on an interstate ;D

I had a 2005 deuce.  I rode that bad boy 1900 miles from Washington to SE Iowa in 2 days.  Spent 5 days and then turned around and came home in 2 days.  I was by myself though and I wasn't sight seeing.  I was on a mission!  I remember when I got there I felt like I was strung out on drugs!  Best thing I ever did though.  Hell people used to ride horses all day through the country side and they lived.  Enjoy your trip brother, and remember those that came before you that explored their world with only the minimum required to get by!

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 11:49:25 PM »

Go for it, very comfortable ride!
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 08:10:53 PM »

1100 miles in 3 days on the CVO BO, no issues whatsoever. OK, I have the Shotgun shock and Danny Gray solo seat, so maybe I cheated a little.

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 07:29:55 PM »

Wow,  I only have 8K on mine. I have taken a few 1K+ trips over 3 days and haven't had any issues yet. I prefer the winding roads though so I usually only average 50 mph. I feel like the interstates wear me out way faster. I think you have enough to know you can do it. If you make it to the East Coast we can meet up for a beer!

BreakoutCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 06:07:29 AM »

Maybe its just me and I've only had my CVO BO for a couple months, it rides much smoother than my 05 Fatboy, maybe that fat tire has a little more cushion going on. With a windshield I don't get nearly as fatigued as I did on the FB.
I've never been skydiving, but I have zoomed-in on Google Earth really really fast.

gaturg

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 08:03:53 PM »

Had no problem on mine, rode over 1700 miles in four days. My friend on the other, that's a different story. He was on his vrod. He looked like an old man after that ride.

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 10:48:02 AM »

Ok, so you're worried about taking a new Breakout for long distance touring. Well check this out from the Harley Davidson Museum. Happened a hundred years ago this very month! Then get on your pony and ride!
JULY 29, 1914
Always fond of travel, Della Crewe was determined to see the world. Contemplating what mode of travel would be best suited to sightseeing, Crewe’s nephew joked that she should ride a motorcycle all over. Thorough investigation convinced her that the Harley-Davidson motorcycle was the sturdiest and most dependable machine for her around-the-world trip. Crewe, originally from Racine, WI, set out from her home in Waco, TX on July 24. Throughout the journey – accompanied in the sidecar by her companion dog, Trouble – she made a point to stop at farm houses, visit with locals, and even joined a parade. On July 29, she arrived in Milwaukee, having travelled 2,147 miles on this first leg of the trip. “It was a great trip with miles of smiles,” she said, “and all of them Harley-Davidson smiles. Much of this happiness was showered upon me by the big Harley-Davidson family-dealers and riders-along the way. They were a princely lot of fellows and added many a link to the unbreakable chain of happy remembrances. Everywhere the glad hand was extended to me.” Continuing eastward, Crewe arrived in NYC in December, reportedly wearing four coats, four pairs of stockings, and heavy sheepskin shoes. Trouble braved the wintry blasts clad in a special, made-to-order sweater. “The Gray Fellow,” she wrote in an article for H-D Dealer, “kept a cheerful humming regardless of roads and weather. Thaws and slush, fresh gravel, ice and snow made little difference to my motor.” At the completion of her journey, this endurance rider had traveled 5,378 miles and covered 10 states. “Never for a moment have I regretted adopting the motorcycle and side-car as my mode of travel,and in my future articles on countries which I visit I confidently expect to be able to say that my motorcycle journeying are always enjoyable.”
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 09:19:34 PM »

[/quote]  Cool Road Dawg, thanks for the post!
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 24 queries.