Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a wider engine guard available that would protect the fairing?  (Read 2450 times)

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic

Just wondering . . .
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Is there a wider engine guard available that would protect the fairing?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »

No,...and that's for a reason.

Any wider and it becomes a liability. Too wide and it might start snagging on things,...like the bike next to you, car bumpers and so on. What you are probably concerned about is not just a tip over,...but a tip ALL THE WAY over. Those are what scuff up the edges of the Bat Wing. I have, sad to say, experienced an all the way over tip over, and that usually happens on uneven ground where gravity pulls the bike all the way over.

What you may want to do is consider installing Highway Foot Pegs, and place them up a bit higher. These might act as a higher "stop" to keep the bike from going all the way over. But remember to fold them up when manuvering in tight quarters as they too might snag.

But I could be wrong.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
Re: Is there a wider engine guard available that would protect the fairing?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 07:28:30 AM »

No,...and that's for a reason.

Any wider and it becomes a liability. Too wide and it might start snagging on things,...like the bike next to you, car bumpers and so on. What you are probably concerned about is not just a tip over,...but a tip ALL THE WAY over. Those are what scuff up the edges of the Bat Wing. I have, sad to say, experienced an all the way over tip over, and that usually happens on uneven ground where gravity pulls the bike all the way over.

What you may want to do is consider installing Highway Foot Pegs, and place them up a bit higher. These might act as a higher "stop" to keep the bike from going all the way over. But remember to fold them up when manuvering in tight quarters as they too might snag.

But I could be wrong.
Good thinking, thank you!
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.