Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Scratches and paint maintenance  (Read 7201 times)

stumom

Scratches and paint maintenance
« on: March 18, 2007, 01:04:42 AM »

What are some of the way's to get rid of those nasty scratches on the tops of the bags and keep your paint lookin new?Thank's for the input........

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
Re: Scratches and paint maintenance
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 01:07:47 AM »

Try the Glare products in the detailing thread :2vrolijk_21:
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

BADBUD

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Lucy, 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: Lilly, 1962 Triumph Bonneville
    • Screw with me and you screw with the WHOLE trailer park
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 07:00:51 AM »

I had same problem, girlfriend drags foot across regularly. I use Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #2 fine cut cleaner, and it works great.
Bud
I hate drunks when I'm sober----------
and sobers when I'm drunk.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 07:04:26 AM »

I had same problem, girlfriend drags foot across regularly. I use Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #2 fine cut cleaner, and it works great.
Bud

Ooooh bad bad. New girlfriend?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 09:19:19 AM »

Ooooh bad bad. New girlfriend?

To remove existing scratches, I use a random orbital buffer with a VERY fine compound and then work my way up to a good polish. Choose the product you are most comfortable with.

To prevent future scratches, I'm going to be having the tops of my bags covered with 3M paint protection film, the same stuff that is put on the hood of cars to prevent rock chips.

Chief

Jester_Red07

• http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/VROCKSE/RedJester034.jpg
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE 2 VRSCSE
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 11:04:58 AM »

To remove existing scratches, I use a random orbital buffer with a VERY fine compound and then work my way up to a good polish. Choose the product you are most comfortable with.

To prevent future scratches, I'm going to be having the tops of my bags covered with 3M paint protection film, the same stuff that is put on the hood of cars to prevent rock chips.

Chief

Hey Chief,
  Let us know how that 3M clear film works out. And especially how it looks. I had thought about putting some on my fairing and lowers. For Bug protection!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 11:06:47 AM »

Chief

Can't beat an orbital buffer and Chief, I hope to have the 3M stuff on the SEUC this week as well.  I will do the front fender, lowers, fairing and top of bags.

Pictures as soon as it's done and hopefully during application as well.

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 12:03:18 PM »

Can't beat an orbital buffer and Chief, I hope to have the 3M stuff on the SEUC this week as well.  I will do the front fender, lowers, fairing and top of bags.

Pictures as soon as it's done and hopefully during application as well.

Rog

I know that they make pre-cut kits for cars (my wife has it on her Volvo).  Do they make a kit for bikes or are you going to cut it yourself?

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 12:52:12 PM »

Rog
I know that they make pre-cut kits for cars (my wife has it on her Volvo).  Do they make a kit for bikes or are you going to cut it yourself?
Dan

My installer was in last week doing a car and I asked if he had the pattern.  He does and was going to give me a call when he could do it.  I told him the pieces I was interested in (above) so I expect he'll be doing it this week.  I am sure it will be more acceptable than a bunch of scratches and chips but it won't be as nice as the naked paint.

Just a trade off against screwing up a good paint job.  If I don't like it a hair dryer and some 3M adhesive remover will take it off.

I figure with the number of people I have installing it on $100 plus thousand dollar Porsche's and living with it, it can't look too bad on the bike.

Bagger

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 11:08:48 PM »

Renea will occasionally drag her foot across a saddlebag.  Normally I can get out any scuffs with Glare Spider.  That stuff WORKS.  The surface looks good as new when I'm finished.  It also works on the fuel tank where my legs rub on the fuel tank...........especially when I'm wearing chaps.  I've had occasion to use the Glare Micro once, followed by Spider, and then Pro Polish.  I have nothing bu great things to say about Glare.  Great stuff.  much better than anything I've ever used............including RejeX.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 09:31:59 PM »

Chief

Darn good idea - well worth copying.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 01:33:58 PM »

Harley Swirl and Scratch remover... :bananarock:

Awsome stuff.
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 03:10:51 PM »

If there fine scratches and for swirl marks, Meguiar's ScratchX, or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.

Sit in the shade, with a beer and watch the girlfriend buff them out!  :bananarock:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:12:26 PM by Talon »

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »

If there fine scratches and for swirl marks, Meguiar's ScratchX, or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.

Sit in the shade, with a beer and watch the girlfriend buff them out!  :bananarock:

Does she have a sister?

Mark

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 12:21:56 AM »

Meguires scatch X does work geat, especially if worked by hand as its not overly abrasive.
Each time you do this, your removing a tiny layer of clear, so be carefull if repeated use is needed in the same area of paint, especially if the scratch is significant, you may only get one good chance to retain an intact clearcoat finish. My feeling is if you want to preserve your finish long term in areas where you seem to get continued scuffing from boots hitting the tops or edges of the hard bags, then maybe the 3M would work great even if this one small area.

REGGAB

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 09:13:08 AM »

I'll back ESJ Jester on this one.  Glare Spider of the swirls and light scratches, and Glare Micro for the deeper scratches.  The stuff works, and it is so easy to use.  And man does it make the scooter glow when you finish.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 24 queries.