Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CVO Breakout 2013 Liquid Sun paint damage  (Read 4312 times)

Xaffievh

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

CVO Breakout 2013 Liquid Sun paint damage
« on: February 02, 2023, 11:23:00 AM »

Hi,

I am new to this forum as I just purchased a CVO Breakout form 2013 with the Liquid Sun color.
It seems that, about an inch from the filler cap, there is (I can not describe it in antoher way) a brownish structure present in the paintwork. It is not a superficial damage. As it is disturbing me I was wondering if anyobody else encountered something similar. In this case I think a new gas tank, if still available, is an option, but might grinding and application of new lacquer be an option here? I think this might be very difficult or even impossible without ruining the rest of the paintwork.

Thanks for any ideas an greetings from Belgium!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: CVO Breakout 2013 Liquid Sun paint damage
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 03:39:46 PM »

Pictures would be very helpful to get you the best answer / suggestions but from what you say, it sounds like gas fumes or spills have contaminated the paint. I suggest a consultation with a good painter. Best of luck!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 12:06:08 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Xaffievh

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 06:40:36 AM »

I will post some detailed pictures as soon as I have collected the bike.

Thanks!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 09:14:13 PM »

I only assume you use the word "Lacquer" as a description for paint. I am not aware of anything that has had lacquer paint for over 40 years. Whatever is the problem with your tank paint is probably repairable, not cheap but much cheaper than a new tank, if you could find one. Post a photo, maybe one of us can offer an educated solution, maybe.

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: CVO Road King 2014 (FLHRSE6) sold
    • CVO2: CVO Street Glide 2021 (FLHXSE)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 03:28:03 AM »

Hi,

I am new to this forum as I just purchased a CVO Breakout form 2013 with the Liquid Sun color.
It seems that, about an inch from the filler cap, there is (I can not describe it in antoher way) a brownish structure present in the paintwork. It is not a superficial damage. As it is disturbing me I was wondering if anyobody else encountered something similar. In this case I think a new gas tank, if still available, is an option, but might grinding and application of new lacquer be an option here? I think this might be very difficult or even impossible without ruining the rest of the paintwork.

I would take it to an experienced painter and have it checked out. Maybe then you can judge it better.

Cheers

CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Sunset Orange & Sunset Black Fade
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
http://jekillandhyde.com/en_US/our-technique
131cui

Xaffievh

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 11:22:47 AM »

Hi,

I collected the bike a day ago. Hete is a picture of what I was talking about. A local dealer says it is oxidation. Strange thing is that there isno damage to be felt in the paint. So my question here is: can this be repared (any names / adresses) or should I just buy a new fuel tank?

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 05:47:23 PM »

I don't own one, but I have seen a few post about CVO Breakout tanks rusting from the inside, you could probably find something on here about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 09:34:37 AM »

I had a 2013 CVO Breakout in Diamon black/silver. This same type of under paint corrosion happened to mine around the seat mounting bolt.

I would have called it underpaint/clear spidering. My bike was under a year old at the time and I got a new rear fender from HD under warranty.

I kept the original fender on the bike as I did not want to risk scratching or scuffing the new fender, and the spidering never got any worse.

I sold the bike eventually, and the buyer negociated too hard (and I had to sell at the time) so I never volunteered the "new in the box" fender to him.

Sold the fender separately later to another CVO owner here in Western Australia as his fender had started spidering in a similar fashion.

I had it on the forum here for months before it sold about 100 K's away from me (around 65 miles !)

At the time the fenders were a stupid new price, done by Gunslinger paint shop I seem to remember ?

From memory a fair few of the 2013's had this problem. There were photos here on the CVO forum from back then.

I would reckon the OEM paint would be hard to replicate without complete respray, and "patching" as you asked impossible.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 09:38:55 AM by gmeikle »
No illegitimi carborundum

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 25 queries.