Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: '09 SE Roadglide  (Read 9983 times)

Harleyjohn59

Re: '09 SE Roadglide
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 02:44:56 AM »

WOW, thanks for the responses.  On the way home I had 30# in the shocks, it was better but it was still extremely firm.  MikeD, can't imagine how it didn't rattle your eye-teeth with the two of you on the bike.  I was riding two up and my passenger didn't notice it as much as I did which leads me to believe the seat had a lot to do with the transfer of the vibrations.  I did look at the Arnott shocks, a very interesting option. 
Don't get me wrong, I love the bike and I love the way it handles but as far as the total comfort on the road, gotta give it a low grade.  Who was it that made the comparison that it was like going from a sedan to a corvette, that is a great comparison.  By the way, I changed the wind deflector, I put an 8" Klock Werks wind deflector on it........don't do it guys, it didn't work.  I think I have permanent hearing damage from the ride home.  The air hit me right on the top and side of my head, right in the ears and it hurt. 
I did talk to the dealer today, they are checking things out but I think it's evident that I'm going to have to change a few things in order to get this bike road ready. 

MikeD

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 06:29:12 AM »

WOW, thanks for the responses.  On the way home I had 30# in the shocks, it was better but it was still extremely firm.  MikeD, can't imagine how it didn't rattle your eye-teeth with the two of you on the bike.  I was riding two up and my passenger didn't notice it as much as I did which leads me to believe the seat had a lot to do with the transfer of the vibrations.  I did look at the Arnott shocks, a very interesting option. 
Don't get me wrong, I love the bike and I love the way it handles but as far as the total comfort on the road, gotta give it a low grade.  Who was it that made the comparison that it was like going from a sedan to a corvette, that is a great comparison.  By the way, I changed the wind deflector, I put an 8" Klock Werks wind deflector on it........don't do it guys, it didn't work.  I think I have permanent hearing damage from the ride home.  The air hit me right on the top and side of my head, right in the ears and it hurt. 
I did talk to the dealer today, they are checking things out but I think it's evident that I'm going to have to change a few things in order to get this bike road ready. 

Yea the 8" pretty much sux!  I ordered the 12" and TDowell I think reported that he had the 12 on there and it did well.  I will let  you know soon. 

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC 8
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 02:19:02 PM »

12" KW windshield does okay.  It sends the wind up over me but does go past the ears pretty hard.  It looks great and It's not a miserable ride so will probably leave that one on for a while.  Girlfriend rides with her head out to side and she said it was like not having a sheild at all.   Sherry from Danny Gray seats emailed me back that 08 seats and 09 seats will work.  I might try a different seat but I've got to get the mufflers sounding better first.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 02:28:38 PM »

how's the heat ?, i hope it's better
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 02:50:45 PM »

Want to trade it for a 2008 Rocker C?   ;D
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

MikeD

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 05:52:47 PM »

12" KW windshield does okay.  It sends the wind up over me but does go past the ears pretty hard.  It looks great and It's not a miserable ride so will probably leave that one on for a while.  Girlfriend rides with her head out to side and she said it was like not having a sheild at all.   Sherry from Danny Gray seats emailed me back that 08 seats and 09 seats will work.  I might try a different seat but I've got to get the mufflers sounding better first.

AMEN BROTHER!

2-oranges

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 10:18:41 PM »

I would check the air pressure in the shocks. I have never been on a smoother ride then my new 09 SERG. I have about 10 PSI in mine and it rides like a dream.

Harleyjohn59

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 11:30:25 PM »

Welp, did a little riding around town today after I picked my SERG up from the dealer for it's 1000 mile.  The Service Mgr. said that they looked at the suspension and everything is OK so it looks like I will either have to make some changes or live with it.
Before I left the dealer I put 30lbs of air in the shocks, seemed to be OK but still stiff, I guess I will get use to it.  I'm looking at a Sundowner seat, had one on my '07 FLTR and really liked the feel.  I think that it may add just enough cushion to take some of that "bite" out.
Tonight I rode my bike to a local "Bike Night" at one of the bars.  It usually draws about 3 to 4 hundred bikes, a pretty good gathering.  Wow, I sure got a lot of attention tonight.  I parked the bike and it immediately drew a crowd. I did a lot of talking tonight and some explaining, a lot of people didn't know what it was, go figure and this is mostly a Harley crowd.
Got lots of praise, everyone liked it and thought it was a great looking bike.  I think the thing that they liked most about the bike was the rear end, the fat fender and the lights.
Still don't have my old windshield back, anyone seen the UPS truck?

MikeD

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 06:30:16 AM »

Glad to see you enjoying it more John.  What kind of windshield did you end up with?

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »

I test drove the 09 orange and black at the 105th and liked it (not the price tag without lowers and tour pak).  Rides much smoother than my 04 flhtcse and has more pull (that may be due to lack of passenger).  Stock windshield and handle bars would have to be changed.  The fairing seems to set out further that the ultra, cant see in front. But riding on the local roads which were a killer on my bike were actually comfortable.  My 2 cents!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 03:34:05 PM »

Not sure if they changed the pressure in the rear shockd but 30psi is way too much for an older model.  I thought over 20 and you would start blowing seals.  I run 8-10 solo and 14 with passenger and luggage on my 06.  Everyone is complaining about the handlebars..are they that bad a position?  Had abuddy that did not like his 06 bars and used Heritage bars.  I rode it and did not like the bars so close.  Felt really awkward in the turns.
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC 8
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 06:15:20 PM »

I'm actually pretty happy with the handle bars.  Makes for a great cornering bike.   

Harleyjohn59

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 06:42:50 PM »

MikeD, have the 8" Klock Werks on it right now, just waiting for my original windshield to show up and it will go right back on for around town.  I have an extra stock FLTR windshield that I might cut down a bit and put some tint on it for the road. 

I have a question.  I got on HD to look at the Tour Paks, the chopped box.  I noticed that they were $1,195.00, kinda hard not to notice don't you think?  Anyway, when I was in Sturgis I talked to an Engineer who worked on the RG and I asked him about the Tour Paks for the bike, he told me that they were having some difficulty with the docking systems but that he was confident that they would have all that worked out shortly.  Anyway, my question is, why so much?  I think the guy told me that the Tour Paks were coming as a kit, with backrest, docking hardware and mounting bracket.  Does anyone know the facts?  Let me know.  The guy at the parts counter didn't know jack!

weamdog

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4
    • Virtual Garage
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 08:01:50 PM »

I put an 8" Klock Werks wind deflector on it........don't do it guys, it didn't work.  I think I have permanent hearing damage from the ride home.  
Thanks for the feedback on the klock werks, i've been looking at them so I guess i can stop now.  I checked my air pressure in mine and it is set at 20lbs which is a couple lbs more then what it should be, but then again the temp was hotter also.  I remember back when the vetts came out with the new magnetic shocks the cars were shipped with shims in the shocks to keep them from being damaged during transport.  Several of the dealers were forgetting to take these things out and people were complaining about very rough rides (remember steel rollerskates?).  This shouldn't be the case, but I wonder if they changed the shocks due to the wheel/frame change and now the air pressure needs to be lowered.  Going through the manual the pressures don't appear to have changed so i guess i'll try lowering it to 15 and then 10 to see how things feel.  My lower back is hurting just thinking about this subject.
'00 FLSTS
'09 FLHTCUSE4 (Autumn Haze/Octane Orange)

MikeD

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »

MikeD, have the 8" Klock Werks on it right now, just waiting for my original windshield to show up and it will go right back on for around town.  I have an extra stock FLTR windshield that I might cut down a bit and put some tint on it for the road. 

I have a question.  I got on HD to look at the Tour Paks, the chopped box.  I noticed that they were $1,195.00, kinda hard not to notice don't you think?  Anyway, when I was in Sturgis I talked to an Engineer who worked on the RG and I asked him about the Tour Paks for the bike, he told me that they were having some difficulty with the docking systems but that he was confident that they would have all that worked out shortly.  Anyway, my question is, why so much?  I think the guy told me that the Tour Paks were coming as a kit, with backrest, docking hardware and mounting bracket.  Does anyone know the facts?  Let me know.  The guy at the parts counter didn't know jack!

Hey John,
I had heard that the paint is the reason why it's so expensive.  Someone on the site mentioned that it's an 11 stage painting process.  I don't know what it is for the standard or pearl sets.  But my theory is, some bean counter in the back corner office is saying the following, "hey, these people are paying a boat load for their bikes, lets offer them matching accessories at an increase of 43%." 

I dont know if it's 43%, I made that up, and I don't now if the bean counters have corner offices'.  But I did order a chopped tour pack, and matching wing with leds. The docking hardware is sitting in my garage.  Along with the highway peg brackets, they waiting on the matching passenger floor boards to be released so I can move the pegs from the back to the front and put the matching floor boards on the rear for my wife.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 24 queries.