Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: LA Choppers 10" Twin Peaks  (Read 14008 times)

Kodas

• Close to the Dragon, Cherohala, and BRP
    • TN

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Black Licorice
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 (sold)
    • CVO3: 2012 BBP Street Glide gone
LA Choppers 10" Twin Peaks
« on: January 08, 2016, 03:54:46 PM »

Finished installing 10" LA Choppers Twin Peak bars today. Added the HD poly bushings and heated grips. Just waiting on the mirrors that should be here on Monday. Used the Namz 8" extensions for the switches and made my own extensions for the heated grips. Everything else was good as is. Followed the advice on the forum and went pretty smooth, just have to have patience when pulling the wires.
Screw it let's ride

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
    • CVO3: 2018 CVO Road Glide
Re: LA Choppers 10" Twin Peaks
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 07:30:26 PM »

Looking good Kodas!

Can you tell me is the pull back on those bars more than stock, less or the same?
I want to get more pull back on my stock bars, so looking to change , 2" higher and 2" more pull back would be ideal for me!, cheers :)
Ride free brothers!

Kodas

• Close to the Dragon, Cherohala, and BRP
    • TN

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Black Licorice
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 (sold)
    • CVO3: 2012 BBP Street Glide gone
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 09:13:51 PM »

They are 35" wide with 6" of pullback. They sit about 2" higher than stock. The wrist angle is much better for me a little more straight on. Biggest improvement is my upper back does not feel pinched with the flatter wrist angle and more upright arm position.  I am 6 foot and have them rolled forward a little.
Screw it let's ride

RedNose44

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO SG Carbon Crystal / Phantom Flames
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 12:23:10 AM »

Looks good. My bike is getting some 10" Yaffe's this coming week. I can't stand the stock bars (also killing my back). I had taller apes on my Fat Boy, but I decided to go with 10's to stay behind the fairing as much as possible.

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 04:29:33 AM »

They are 35" wide with 6" of pullback. They sit about 2" higher than stock. The wrist angle is much better for me a little more straight on. Biggest improvement is my upper back does not feel pinched with the flatter wrist angle and more upright arm position.  I am 6 foot and have them rolled forward a little.

Thanks , I'm not sure how much pull back the stock bars have compared to yours ,all i know it's not enough!
Looking to change my bars, just like the look of those bars as well as the yaffe's. Hmmmm ::)
Ride free brothers!

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 04:41:28 AM »

Looks good. My bike is getting some 10" Yaffe's this coming week. I can't stand the stock bars (also killing my back). I had taller apes on my Fat Boy, but I decided to go with 10's to stay behind the fairing as much as possible.

Pictures please Red nose when it's done,
 I too don't want to go any higher than 10" or else it brings yours hands above fairing and into the cold wind, kinda defeats my heated grips then! I've had tall 14" apes before and they are great,just don't want them on this bike, I think also 10" bars will allow you to reuse stock cables and the stock mirrors.... Am I correct in saying that to those folks who've dunnit already ?
I just want 2" more rise and 2" more pull back than stock, anyone whose got 10" yaffes fitted I'd sure appreciate your views...Ride free brothers !
Ride free brothers!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 10:19:08 AM »

Looking good Kodas!

Can you tell me is the pull back on those bars more than stock, less or the same?
I want to get more pull back on my stock bars, so looking to change , 2" higher and 2" more pull back would be ideal for me!, cheers :)

Many of the larger dealerships now have a mock set up where you can sit on a seat and try different bars there in the dealership.  The MoCo use to have a set of bars that was 2"up and 2" back....that were called "Touring Pullback bars".  I looked on the HD web site the other day for guy riding a SEEG and I don't see them anymore.  They do show a set that's 2" back but they don't say if they're 2" up. 

There are several aftermarket mfg. that make them 2" up and 2" back (or at least there was in mid 2000.  A couple actually claimed 2 1/2" back but I've never heard of a bar 6" back....that would be a pretty deformed looking set of bars.  Maybe do a google search for Harley close reach bars.....see what pops up.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RedNose44

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 04:14:23 PM »

I too don't want to go any higher than 10" or else it brings yours hands above fairing and into the cold wind, kinda defeats my heated grips then! I've had tall 14" apes before and they are great,just don't want them on this bike, I think also 10" bars will allow you to reuse stock cables and the stock mirrors.... Am I correct in saying that to those folks who've dunnit already ?
I just want 2" more rise and 2" more pull back than stock, anyone whose got 10" yaffes fitted I'd sure appreciate your views...Ride free brothers !

Will do. The stock cables will work with the 10" bars (a couple friends have Yaffe 12" with stock cables). The stock mirrors will not work with the 10" Yaffe's though. I already have a set of Performance Machine mirrors that are going on, and I am using LA Choppers plugs to fill the holes where the stock mirrors are now.

Wild Hog 4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 07:06:15 PM »

Many of the larger dealerships now have a mock set up where you can sit on a seat and try different bars there in the dealership.  The MoCo use to have a set of bars that was 2"up and 2" back....that were called "Touring Pullback bars".  I looked on the HD web site the other day for guy riding a SEEG and I don't see them anymore.  They do show a set that's 2" back but they don't say if they're 2" up. 

There are several aftermarket mfg. that make them 2" up and 2" back (or at least there was in mid 2000.  A couple actually claimed 2 1/2" back but I've never heard of a bar 6" back....that would be a pretty deformed looking set of bars.  Maybe do a google search for Harley close reach bars.....see what pops up.

Yeah thanks, only probs is those touring bars you mention are not as good looking as other aftermarket bars like the yaffees with the nice "mitred weld", and as you say the Harley touring bars do give you 2" pull back but there is no extra rise on them ,a friend of mine had them and wished he got wild 1 bars instead,
Unfortunately all the "fit shop" bikes over here in UK are softail fat boys with limited handlebar selection, so not much good really!.... Still Ive narrowed it down to a couple of manufacturers ,just want to be double sure before I move on it, cheers anyway  ::)

Ride free brothers!

RedNose44

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 10:42:10 PM »

^^^ I have a brand new set of HD 12" touring apes, and I don't like them as much as the Yaffe's (Or Wild One Chubby's I had on the bike I just sold). I got them from a friend and had them powder coated black, but after riding my friend's SGS with Yaffe 12's I decided to go that direction. The wrist angle and pull back felt better on the Yaffe's (they also look better IMO).

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 11:14:32 PM »

Hey Wild Hog. I have the 12" Yaffe with heated grips, and although I wouldn't change a thing... I love the looks and comfort. You are dead right as far as your concern with cold. I was already aware of this since I had them on my old street glide. I just wore heated gloves on that bike. This bike I get by with good gloves and the heated grips. They do get a bit cold still. I have recently gone on a few 3 to 5 hour rides where the temp has remained below or at freezing. The sun was out though so we were riding!!
Good luck with your choice.
BTW. Just remembered. I had both of my bars powder coated to match, but interestingly the pair I bought about four years ago was black. When I brought them in to get powder coated, they tested them and they were just painted black, NOT powder coat! Just something to keep in mind. They were advertised black powder coat on Yaffe site! It actually made it easier for them (and cheaper for me) since paint is easier to remove than powder, so I did not care. You have to love it!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 11:22:42 PM »

I've got the 12 inch Yaffe bars in mine with the heated grips. As long as you have a good pair of gloves I'm fine with not getting cold. The thing I like the most is not having the pain in my neck back and shoulders like I did with stock bars.  Now I can ride all day long cross country were before the pain set in around 100 miles.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

RedNose44

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 11:28:39 PM »

Hey Wild Hog. I have the 12" Yaffe with heated grips, and although I wouldn't change a thing... I love the looks and comfort. You are dead right as far as your concern with cold. I was already aware of this since I had them on my old street glide. I just wore heated gloves on that bike. This bike I get by with good gloves and the heated grips. They do get a bit cold still. I have recently gone on a few 3 to 5 hour rides where the temp has remained below or at freezing. The sun was out though so we were riding!!
Good luck with your choice.
BTW. Just remembered. I had both of my bars powder coated to match, but interestingly the pair I bought about four years ago was black. When I brought them in to get powder coated, they tested them and they were just painted black, NOT powder coat! Just something to keep in mind. They were advertised black powder coat on Yaffe site! It actually made it easier for them (and cheaper for me) since paint is easier to remove than powder, so I did not care. You have to love it!

That's interesting about the powder coat. Yaffe did not wrap the bars I ordered and they were damaged during shipping. I had them powder coated and Yaffe reimbursed me $60.00. Maybe it was actually not powder coat? Hmmm...

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 11:54:10 PM »

I've got the 12 inch Yaffe bars in mine with the heated grips. As long as you have a good pair of gloves I'm fine with not getting cold. The thing I like the most is not having the pain in my neck back and shoulders like I did with stock bars.  Now I can ride all day long cross country were before the pain set in around 100 miles.
I hear ya Chains! For me stock bars put me in a "head leaning forward" position which kills my neck, and always fighting the burning in the shoulders. I installed them on my old bike, and that's why I had them installed on this bike before I even took delivery! It is a pain though to pull those wires through that sharp point... you know the one that looks so good. 

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 06:31:44 PM »

Finished installing 10" LA Choppers Twin Peak bars today. Added the HD poly bushings and heated grips. Just waiting on the mirrors that should be here on Monday. Used the Namz 8" extensions for the switches and made my own extensions for the heated grips. Everything else was good as is. Followed the advice on the forum and went pretty smooth, just have to have patience when pulling the wires.
Looks like the wrist angle is flatter. I have the WO Chubbys and my right wrist starts aching after a couple hours so maybe the wrist angle on those are my problem. :nixweiss: Does anyone know if the Yaffe 10's have a flatter wrist angle.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 24 queries.