Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32

Author Topic: Gap between seat and tanK?  (Read 84452 times)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
Re: Gap between seat and tanK?
« Reply #195 on: February 18, 2010, 06:49:03 PM »

Depending on how harde the rubber bumpers are, I don't see any reason why you can't use both. I haven't pulled my seat to see if the mount point is recessed or not (it should be).

I read through the install intructions and didn't see a statement that the "fix" is not compatible with the saddlebag guards.
Did I miss it?
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #196 on: February 18, 2010, 07:17:38 PM »

Depending on how harde the rubber bumpers are, I don't see any reason why you can't use both. I haven't pulled my seat to see if the mount point is recessed or not (it should be).

I read through the install intructions and didn't see a statement that the "fix" is not compatible with the saddlebag guards.
Did I miss it?

Yup, you missed it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »

Yup, you missed it.

Jerry

I'm not old enough for "cheaters".
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Thanks for making sure I didn't miss the fact that I missed it  :)
I'm not gonna mess with it... a different seat for me. Still sux though.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2010, 07:57:49 PM »

No,  I had the seat problem with the rear saddlebag guards installed. So, you choose: take the fix and don't get saddlebag guards or buy a Corbin or C&C seat. It's a shame the HD is taking the cheap way out on such an expensive bike. The seat pan was manufactured weak and sags. The right thing to do is manufacture a seat with a new pan and exchange the faulty seat.

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

As I've noted many times on this site, the right thing to do is usually the last thing Harley considers.  And yet people keep begging them to take their money for this kind of crap. :nixweiss: 

BTW, I think I remember suggesting way back that the fix would probably wind up being some kind of bumper between the frame and seat pan.  Unlike some on this site, I'm totally aware of the way H-D management deals with their screwups.  First deny any problem, then claim to be working on it even though it isn't really a problem, then drag it out and hope people go away, and if they don't go away come out with a mickey mouse, cheapest thing possible "fix" that applies a bandaid to the real problem.  Ask the guys with the 2007 CVO110 engines if that statement is wrong.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sun Devil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Rum
« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2010, 08:53:09 PM »

RE: Depending on how hard the rubber bumpers are, I don't see any reason why you can't use both. I haven't pulled my seat to see if the mount point is recessed or not (it should be).

The bumpers are not rubber. They are a hard plastic. Perhaps a grove could be milled (drummel). I'm have them installed tomorrow. I'll take pictures and see if there is any room to alter to allow the saddelbags guards.
“They don’t know that we know they know we know.”

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2010, 08:59:23 PM »

RE: Depending on how hard the rubber bumpers are, I don't see any reason why you can't use both. I haven't pulled my seat to see if the mount point is recessed or not (it should be).

The bumpers are not rubber. They are a hard plastic. Perhaps a grove could be milled (drummel). I'm have them installed tomorrow. I'll take pictures and see if there is any room to alter to allow the saddelbags guards.
:jack:...
Not sure if you just prefer "quoting" by putting the text in your post and changing the color or you're not aware of the way the software does it. If the latter is the case take a look at picture below and when you wish to quote a post just click on the button the red arrow is pointing to.

End of :jack:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Sun Devil

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2010, 09:11:47 PM »

:jack:...
Not sure if you just prefer "quoting" by putting the text in your post and changing the color or you're not aware of the way the software does it. If the latter is the case take a look at picture below and when you wish to quote a post just click on the button the red arrow is pointing to.

End of :jack:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Wow, Thanks for the tip. I had a tough time this afternoon figuring out how to scan the Instructions for the Seat Bumper kit and then save to a memory stick and open and save to my desktop and the attach to my post. Thanks again for the quote tip.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2010, 09:13:35 PM »

That looks like a fix that was the result of a 10 2 minute hallway meeting....

"Why don't we just...."  

"Yeah, o.k., whatever you think"

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »

Wow, Thanks for the tip. I had a tough time this afternoon figuring out how to scan the Instructions for the Seat Bumper kit and then save to a memory stick and open and save to my desktop and the attach to my post. Thanks again for the quote tip.
You're welcome. :2vrolijk_21: Just remember when you do that to make sure you don't type/put your post inside of the quoted post. Look for [/quote] and type after that.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2010, 09:54:38 PM »

That looks like a fix that was the result of a 10 2 minute hallway meeting....

"Why don't we just...."  

"Yeah, o.k., whatever you think"

Scott, I think this "fix" was the result of a 10 second meeting between bean counting upper management and the engineer tasked with coming up with a fix.  Been there, done that, bean counters tended to win about 99.8% of the time with no further discussion tolerated.  Ask the folks at Toyota about that method, btw.  It seems to be working really well for them lately (not).

I'll guess that, assuming H-D continues with the same seat design, you will see a running change in the seat pan with two stand-offs molded into the plastic that will contact the frame.  Much cheaper in production than adding a couple bumpers and a couple bolts.  Also much cheaper than a redesign of the pan to eliminate all the flexing.

Jerry

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2010, 10:42:02 PM »

Scott, I think this "fix" was the result of a 10 second meeting between bean counting upper management and the engineer tasked with coming up with a fix.  Been there, done that, bean counters tended to win about 99.8% of the time with no further discussion tolerated.  Ask the folks at Toyota about that method, btw.  It seems to be working really well for them lately (not).

I'll guess that, assuming H-D continues with the same seat design, you will see a running change in the seat pan with two stand-offs molded into the plastic that will contact the frame.  Much cheaper in production than adding a couple bumpers and a couple bolts.  Also much cheaper than a redesign of the pan to eliminate all the flexing.

Jerry
Don't forget the drafting of the instructions on how to mount the bumpers  :2vrolijk_21:
Hawg

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2010, 11:11:19 PM »

Fortunately, I'm not one of those "I told you so" type of people.  Read my post #168 and you'll see I predicted, just like Jerry did, what the MoCo would do for a "fix".  When the accountants run the asylum, the practical and realistic solution will never be made at the expense of profit.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

ScreaminStreetGlide

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE in Candy Concord
« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2010, 02:09:26 AM »

If it gets rid of the gap I am happy.  Now I have to buy saddlebag guards so I can figure out how to make both work together.  It can't be that complicated.
"Don't blame me....I didn't vote for him!"

Sun Devil

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2010, 02:42:18 PM »

Here is a picture of the Seat Bumper Kit # 54396-10. Note: This kit is NOT compatible with saddlebag guard rails. I call HD customer service and was told this is the only kit available to "fix" the seat. I'm sure one of you guys will machine this or make a better bumper. Please let us know.

Sun Devil

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »

Here is the side view.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 25 queries.