Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Trailering a 2016 SERG Ultra  (Read 3505 times)

BingoBob

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

Trailering a 2016 SERG Ultra
« on: January 26, 2019, 10:02:45 AM »

I'm wondering if any other members have found a good way to strap down their 2016 SERG Ultra on a trailer? The brackets made by HD don't fit this model as I guess they don't clear the fairing. What options do I have that will safely hold my bike in a friends trailer to Daytona and Sturgis? I can't attach anything (as in a chock, etc) in his trailer. Any suggestions?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Trailering a 2016 SERG Ultra
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 10:06:22 AM »

You may want to take a look at this thread - Tying down a 2019 CVO Road Glide for transport?… not an Ultra but it is a Road Glide.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »

Hopefully the trailer has some kind of a chock, maybe not a drive-in step-off but something? Recently saw a bike at the local dealer where the guy set it in front of a U-Haul truck on the kick-stand, strapped it down and away he went. Kick-stand bracket bent, straps go loose and bike fell over. Rode that way, on it's side for an undisclosed length of time, Pretty nasty damage.
I use Kiwi-Indian manufactured front Tie-down mount and Yelvington Rear tie-down brackets, all pulled to the front with the bike in a Condor. Have towed same way using a Pingel. Secure as I can get it. Used to tow for a living and I appreciate the fact you are searching out the correct method. Lots of bad info out there, be wary.

30glock

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 07:22:46 PM »

I'm wondering if any other members have found a good way to strap down their 2016 SERG Ultra on a trailer? The brackets made by HD don't fit this model as I guess they don't clear the fairing. What options do I have that will safely hold my bike in a friends trailer to Daytona and Sturgis? I can't attach anything (as in a chock, etc) in his trailer. Any suggestions?

Have you considered riding it to these destination ?

fastboatnut

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 10:41:22 AM »

I use a condor and tie downs on the crash bar, never a problem 1,400 miles one way from Michigan to Daytona

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 05:49:50 PM »

I’m no tie down expert but have had good success with a condor chock, one set of straps with soft ties to front fork fender mounts and a second set of straps to rear wheel.  Just for piece of mind I usually put a third set of straps from front fairing underneath braces just snugged down to help stabilize bike from rocking side to side as much.  All my straps have safety clips to keep them from coming loose if a sudden bump causes slack.  I’ve only trailered a few times as I prefer to ride it unless wife is going riding passenger. I used to tie down rear to rear bag guards but was warned that can cause damage.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 05:55:18 PM by TNCarters »
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 09:19:28 AM »

Condor video.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 10:29:18 AM »

The B&W Biker Bar is the fastest, easiest and most secure way to trailer a bike.....no wheel chock and no straps needed!   

I"ve hauled ocean to ocean twice and it's the way that most full time RVers (there's thousands out there living this life style) haul their Harleys.  Also several threads in this forum about the Biker Bar.....use the search feature.

This video shows the guy kneeling beside his bike to put the bar on the bike.  However, after you've done it a few times....I ride my bike in my toyhauler and then just lean over and put the bar on my bike while I'm still sitting on my seat.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:32:44 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 11:07:26 AM »

The B&W Biker Bar is the fastest, easiest and most secure way to trailer a bike.....no wheel chock and no straps needed!   

I"ve hauled ocean to ocean twice and it's the way that most full time RVers (there's thousands out there living this life style) haul their Harleys.  Also several threads in this forum about the Biker Bar.....use the search feature.

This video shows the guy kneeling beside his bike to put the bar on the bike.  However, after you've done it a few times....I ride my bike in my toyhauler and then just lean over and put the bar on my bike while I'm still sitting on my seat.

Fit bikes with a center stand?

They make them for all models of Harley not sure if you have an aftermarket center stand.  You wouldn't be able to (or need to) use the center stand with the Biker Bar.  Give them a call.....they're very helpful.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 02:46:16 PM by JCZ »
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »

Fit bikes with a center stand?

They make them for all models of Harley not sure if you have an aftermarket center stand.  You wouldn't be able to (or need to) use the center stand with the Biker Bar.  Give them a call.....they're very helpful.

They make them for all models of Harley.  However, I'm not sure with an aftermarket center stand.  Might want to give them a call.   You would not be able to use the center stand (or need to) with the Biker Bar.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Cooch366

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 06:32:09 PM »

So please excuse me if this question is redundant, but in reading here and other sites I’d like to comfirm/understand what I think I’m reading.

So with the Biker Bar, NO straps are needed? At all, ever? Just lock it in and that’s it?

And

With the Condor, straps (2?) are needed after locking it into the chock?

Thanks for clearing this up for me...  I’m sure it will help me decide which one to buy.

DOCGSS

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2020 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 07:59:00 PM »

I have used the Biker Bar for several years. NO STRAPS are needed. Once you try it you will never settle for any other system. Just as important as the ease in use the bike is riding on its suspension as it was intended. With straps you preload the suspension and can damage the seals.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 09:12:18 PM »

I have used the Biker Bar for several years. NO STRAPS are needed. Once you try it you will never settle for any other system. Just as important as the ease in use the bike is riding on its suspension as it was intended. With straps you preload the suspension and can damage the seals.
Depends on where you strap the bike.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 01:01:08 AM »

Bingobob said in his initial post that he cannot attach anything to his friends trailer. So that rules out chocks and Biker Bars.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 04:00:54 AM »

I use a condor and tie downs on the crash bar, never a problem 1,400 miles one way from Michigan to Daytona

I used this approach for a short time until I hit a pot hole and the engine guard broke from the frame and hit and bent the fender. That engine guard is not very thick and check out how it connected to the frame.   Scary

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.