Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Quality Control  (Read 6260 times)

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: Quality Control
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 11:12:45 AM »

As a customer, I know that I was EXTREMELY PLEASED with Steve's attention to detail. He even buffed some scratches that he found on a side cover!!

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 12:11:10 PM »

Dick measuring aside, what the photo shows is how Harley increases profits while not caring about their customers.  After machining and deburring of the parts they need to be ran through a cleaning operation.  I cannot imagine anyone allowing things to be assembled and shipped like this.

Thank you for documenting what we are getting for our money from Harley.  I for one appreciate a shop that takes the time to document issues they find on customers bikes.

Good job guys.  :2vrolijk_21:

Couldn't agree more.  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

tysndys

• Full CVO Member
    • UT

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 (sold)
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 01:19:19 PM »

Is this type of debris, the stuff they figure should be caught in the filter ? Are there passages and flows that never get filtered?
Tires just don't last long enough

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 01:28:24 PM »

Thank you Steve. Guess that explains some of the other clearance problems found in these motors! HD designed the clearances in them so wide that they feel this type of trash will go right through and never touch a thing......forget quality control....
Most great stores start with a bad decision

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 01:32:57 PM »

Yes the filter would trap these pieces . However first they will need to drop down through the engine into the bottom of the crank case or cam chest , then the pump has to suck them through the return side of the pump( grinding them up as it goes)  into the oil pan. Then the pump will pull them back into the pressure side of the pump ( more grinding of aluminum) , into crank feed through cam plate and if the oil is up to temp and the pressure relief is allowing oil into the filter then yes it will get filtered..  Some may get bypassed and go into the lifters feed and then into the piston jet oilers. :2vrolijk_21:
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »

Nice catch GMR!!  I like that you put it out here for everyone to see!
With the superb (their claim) quality of the HD products, I'm a little surprised that HD hasn't included a screen on the return oil to the pump to catch the bigger chunks returning to the pump.
I simply can't believe that a company that continousy brags about it heritage and quality to the extent Harley does builds such a poor product.
As stated, the Harley followers just buys another one, either not knowing or not caring its a POS. Then all you hear is the problems HD has created thru issues like this.
I can't imagine Ford, Chevy, or Chrysler staying in business very long if their quality dropped steadily for years. My brother in law owned Chevy's all his life until he bought 2 pickups in a row that had quality control/cheap part issues back in 03/05. He has never bought a Chevy since, if fact owns a Ford truck and two Japanese cars, al of which have been 100% troublefree. At 30-50K for some of the new HD's, they should be the same, and the very best. Its really sad that the public accepts this quality without questioning the honesty and sincereity of HD.
I love my 01 Dyna but will never buy another HD product, or enter a HD dealership to be blindsided by boutique type settings and bullchit service hiding behind a warranty that really doesn't cover anything. Buffalo

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 03:36:11 PM »

Yes the filter would trap these pieces . However first they will need to drop down through the engine into the bottom of the crank case or cam chest , then the pump has to suck them through the return side of the pump( grinding them up as it goes)  into the oil pan. Then the pump will pull them back into the pressure side of the pump ( more grinding of aluminum) , into crank feed through cam plate and if the oil is up to temp and the pressure relief is allowing oil into the filter then yes it will get filtered..  Some may get bypassed and go into the lifters feed and then into the piston jet oilers. :2vrolijk_21:

Perhaps they should incorporate a hybrid system, with an EVO style filter on the return side to go along with the Twin Cam style filter on the feed side.  Too bad aluminum isn't magnetic, they could just mount a big azzed magnet in the sump to collect all the machining debris, broken pieces, and parts that have fallen off, before they run through the pump and tear it up.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 05:19:16 PM »

That is terrible. How can they get all away with this. They built their rep on this :nixweiss:

I've seen worse than this in a new 350 Chevy (late 80s).

Must have been a Tuesday motor (after a long holiday weekend :drink:)

It does make me wonder what kind of morons are putting the HDs together???

With today's technology, pictures / email / texts are much more efficient for everybody. If I had the (boat repair) Shop that I had in 80's / 90's today, I'd be running the whole thing off of a Tablet, instead of a legal pad.

Any fuzz on the CPS???
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 06:11:18 PM »

I had a new 1973 AMF pos that they forgot to put all four piston pin clips in. For nice vertical scores inside each cylinder.   
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.063 seconds with 25 queries.