Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel Gauge Not Working at all Now  (Read 2899 times)

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
Fuel Gauge Not Working at all Now
« on: March 23, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »

Had the tank full and some seafoam as stabilizer in for the winter.  After putting about 50 miles on yesterday and today the fuel gauge hasn't moved at all.  I also flashed the ecm with the new tune from dyno vision.  Don't know if the new flash of the ecm is cuasing the problem, cold weather, or bad gauge.  The guage did have the problem of not reading correctly when it got low (said I had about 35 miles left when I was starting to lose power).  Any suggestions??  I know I will end up taking it to the dealer eventually, but is it possible that the power vision flash did this to the fuel gauge?

UPDATE:  After going 70 miles, one bar fell off the guage- I have got to get this thing calibrated properly- no way I should be able to go 70 miles and have 3/4 of a tank left.  So, just like a sportster i will keep an eye on my mileage and refill accordingly.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:29:11 PM by Dobeman2000 »

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Fuel Gauge Not Working at all Now
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »

Maybe 50 miles isn't enough to get a line down...?

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »

On my SG, yesterday, over 100 km before it went down one light.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:01:48 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:44:29 PM »

Nicky,

It's interesting you bring this up.  When I got out today, my fuel light came on and R32 popped up.  i was on the interstate, and the bike died twice on me....at 70mph!

I got off the next ramp and was having all kinds of trouble keeping it running to get to a gas station.  After going through 2 tanks of gas(filling up each time when the guage is no lower than half), no problems at all.

I am wondering if these bikes have a crappy fuel pickup in the tank.  This is my 5 HD, and I have never had this problem.  I can run down to R10 or so on the others and never have an issue...

this is very strange....not exactly like your problem on this thread, but you mention you lose power at about R 35....so it's similar to my issue....crazy...
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Ronhend

• Junior CVO Member
  • [IMG]http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss321/ronh

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 10:02:28 PM »

I've also had this happen to me at R 35. >:(
Now, I just keep a close eye on the odometer.
I'm not sure what the problem is, never have this happe with my Ultra.

Ron

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 11:09:25 PM »

I've also had this happen to me at R 35. >:(
Now, I just keep a close eye on the odometer.
I'm not sure what the problem is, never have this happe with my Ultra.

Ron
Ah, ok, so we have a trend here...recall!  recall !   :P

I will definintely be heading to my dealer with this.

It sucks loosing fire when you are hurtling down the expressway in the passing lane...

Thanks for the heads up Ron and Dobe.

Sorry for semi-hijacking the thread dude...
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »

Ah, ok, so we have a trend here...recall!  recall !   :P

I will definintely be heading to my dealer with this.

It sucks loosing fire when you are hurtling down the expressway in the passing lane...

Thanks for the heads up Ron and Dobe.

Sorry for semi-hijacking the thread dude...

There's another thread in the Breakout section with plenty of folks commenting on the same issues.  The low fuel light comes on and almost immediately the engine starts missing (fuel starvation).  While some seem to accept this behavior, I believe this is something everyone should be reporting to H-D and the NHTSA.  If the bike stalls in traffic because it isn't getting fuel even though the gauge says you have plenty of fuel, that is a safety related defect, plain and simple. 

There may be multiple problems involved.  One person said it took nearly 5.0 gallons to fill up when his did this.  That sounds like the gauge is just reading high.  Others have indicated they thought they still had a half gallon of fuel in the tank when the engine started missing.  That sounds like a fuel pickup issue.  Either way, or both ways, it's a problem that needs to be addressed.  Stopping to fill up every 100 miles or when the gauge reaches the halfway mark isn't the answer.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »

I will ride a bit more and see if it goes down (can't now after the snow last night), but will asap and report back.  Regardless, I will be calling the dealer up and getting that fuel gauge calibrated correctly so it doesn't run out of gas when it says it has 30 miles left.  Right now I'm more concerned that the gauge reads at all.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »

There's another thread in the Breakout section with plenty of folks commenting on the same issues.  The low fuel light comes on and almost immediately the engine starts missing (fuel starvation).  While some seem to accept this behavior, I believe this is something everyone should be reporting to H-D and the NHTSA.  If the bike stalls in traffic because it isn't getting fuel even though the gauge says you have plenty of fuel, that is a safety related defect, plain and simple. 

There may be multiple problems involved.  One person said it took nearly 5.0 gallons to fill up when his did this.  That sounds like the gauge is just reading high.  Others have indicated they thought they still had a half gallon of fuel in the tank when the engine started missing.  That sounds like a fuel pickup issue.  Either way, or both ways, it's a problem that needs to be addressed.  Stopping to fill up every 100 miles or when the gauge reaches the halfway mark isn't the answer.

Jerry

Couldn't agree more GRC.  I found the thread you mentioned and at least I'm glad it's not just me.  I'm wondering if I am going to have to run the bike down to where the fuel light comes on, THEN take it to the dealer.  You know how that goes, if it's not acting up when they check it, there's no problem. 

Now perhaps by now, there have been enough reports on this that there is a TSB out of the MoCo on it....I will check with my guys tomorrow...

Carbon 60

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 01:04:33 PM »

Couldn't agree more GRC.  I found the thread you mentioned and at least I'm glad it's not just me.  I'm wondering if I am going to have to run the bike down to where the fuel light comes on, THEN take it to the dealer.  You know how that goes, if it's not acting up when they check it, there's no problem. 

Now perhaps by now, there have been enough reports on this that there is a TSB out of the MoCo on it....I will check with my guys tomorrow...

Hi ZO6,
 you are correct, intermittent problems are quite difficult to diagnose.
So, what happened when you "checked with your guys".
I won't have my bike till sometime in April so I'm trying to anticipate and prepare for all bad things that I might encounter.
Garr

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »

Hi ZO6,
 you are correct, intermittent problems are quite difficult to diagnose.
So, what happened when you "checked with your guys".
I won't have my bike till sometime in April so I'm trying to anticipate and prepare for all bad things that I might encounter.
Garr

Hey Garr,

Nothing.  They talked with their MoCo service rep just yesterday to get an update on all TSB's impacting all the models and there is nothing for the Breakout.

The service mgr at my dealership suggested I ride the bike down to about an R60 or 70, then drop it off with them.  They will draing the bike down slowly the rest of the way to ensure they are test riding it when the fuel light comes on, then stay on the ride until the issue occurs....

Carbon 60

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »

Hey Garr,

Nothing.  They talked with their MoCo service rep just yesterday to get an update on all TSB's impacting all the models and there is nothing for the Breakout.

The service mgr at my dealership suggested I ride the bike down to about an R60 or 70, then drop it off with them.  They will draing the bike down slowly the rest of the way to ensure they are test riding it when the fuel light comes on, then stay on the ride until the issue occurs....

ZO6, thanks for the info on TSB's.
Waiting to hear when the shop will tell you what they might find.
Thanks Again,
Garr

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.