Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: SOLVED ... Boom Audio Rear Speaker Pods - why not for FLHXSE2?  (Read 13855 times)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
SOLVED ... Boom Audio Rear Speaker Pods - why not for FLHXSE2?
« on: November 28, 2010, 03:00:03 PM »

I'm gonna add a King TourPak (detachable) to my '11 SESG2 and wanted to add the rear speaker pods. The P&A book shows that the Boom Audio pods will not work with the FLHXSE2 and wondering if anyone has a definitive answer as to why not:

Boom!™ Audio Rear Speaker Pod Kit

Fits '06-later Touring models equipped with an Advanced Audio Radio and a rigid mount King Tour-Pak® luggage system. Requires installation of Wiring Harness P/N 70169-06. Does not fit '11 FLHXSE2 models.

I am pondering a couple of reasons:

1. They say they won't work because all speaker taps  from the amp on the SESG2 are from the front channels only, so they won't work with the amp and maintain fade control. Looking at the wiring diagrams for the SESG2, they do provide wiring for rear speakers (with the caveat mentioned).

2. Because of the 1-ohm load speakers that come with the SESG2, they say they won't work because of the load of the rear pod speakers.

I am just specualting above - anyone know for sure? Local dealer is looking into it but so far has no answer.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:40:29 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Boom Audio Rear Speaker Pods - why not for FLHXSE2?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 04:36:02 PM »

The rear speaker connectors shown on the wiring diagram don't make sense since there is no provision for passenger control functions, e.g. PTT, volume, etc. that come with the HD rear speaker pods/speakers, and the amp is not wired to the HK head unit to accommodate those functions.  So in terms of the "rear speaker" connectors from the amp, HD doesn't seem to offer a product that would work with those connectors.

In a non-SESG2 installation of the speaker kit, you'd use the 70169-06 non-Ultra overlay harness to provide the connection to the 35 wire connector on the back of the HK radio to access the rear speaker pinouts, passenger controls, etc.  The SESG2 already has a 35-wire connector installed but only uses 4 or 5 of the pinouts for the ipod interface.  Perhaps the "no fit" for the SESG2 is due to the ipod connection already being there at the back of the HD radio.

Having said that, however, it's clear that Ultras without the ipod interface can add the ipod interface by adding the wires to the pre-existing 35 wire connector.  Don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same thing to an SESG2 by adding the wires necessary for the rear speaker kit, and leave the amp wiring alone.  Probably time to call Harley Tech Services.

Carl

PS:  No, I don't know for sure.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »

TIF2, hd-dude (Jim) related that the 6.5" speakers in the fairing lowers of the SESG2 are 1 ohm impedance.  Have you looked at your fairing speakers to confirm that they, too, are 1 ohm?

Also, if you look at the wiring diagrams for the '11 CVO Ultra and Road Glide, they use only the front speaker outputs (and not the rear speaker outputs) of the HK radio.  The front signal is sent to the amp on those bikes and the amp then provides the separate, amplified front and rear signals to the speakers.

Carl

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 05:44:33 PM »

Thanks for the reply Carl ... I am already planning to get the non-ultra overlay and move the ipod wires over to it (I'll be adding the NIM as well). As it stands I'm thinking of just doing away with the stock setup and having Iron Cross do low-level connections (with fade control) to the back of the HK unit. Then getting a JL Audio M400/4 amp to light them all up. Rear pods and lowers will be tied together off the rear outputs - when the TP is on the pods will work along with the lowers. When the TP is off (most of the time) the lowers will function with fade control.

Anyway ... just brainstorming at this point. My '11 doesn't ship 'til 01/05 so still have tme to lay everything out.
TIF2

Rogzy

• Rogzy
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 05:15:52 AM »

I am not an expert on the issue but i was told that since the SESG'11 has an 6 channel amp and already 6 speakers are installed, you simply cant add more. Does it make any sense??
Four Wheels move the body. Two Wheels move the Soul

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 09:53:33 AM »

You can look at the wiring diagrams in this thread, particularly the one for the SESG2 in reply #4 which shows how the amp and speakers are wired:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53364.msg774823#msg774823

The amp is two-channel, but wired to provide audio signals to six speakers and there is no fader control to adjust the volume to the different pairs of speakers.  The amp gets the audio signal that would, on non-CVO bikes, go to the front speakers.

Carl

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »

I remember a post from someone doing a full replace on a 2011 with Focal speakers and an Alpine PDX 4.100M amp. They posted a picture of the boxed components.
Can't for the life of me find it now - anyone else remember that?

Appreciate it if the OP responds or if someone can find that post for me ... driving me crazy!
TIF2

olivier105

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 11:53:41 AM »

I am not an expert on the issue but i was told that since the SESG'11 has an 6 channel amp and already 6 speakers are installed, you simply cant add more. Does it make any sense??
you can add the two of a tour pack... but not with de control..
see the plan..

there is 2 rear speakers...

olivier105

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 11:54:27 AM »

an this..

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 02:45:53 PM »

Yeah ... I've seen the wiring diagrams. That just makes it all the more puzzling in my opinion. It doesn't qualify these against an FLHXSE even though it has no additional wiring or amps - in other words - you would need to puchase the overlay harness and the Ultra boom amp for the remote switches to work. Clearly they will not just bolt on and be functional on an FLHXSE, but it doesn't say they won't fit.

I'm still perplexed and wish I could get the real answer. I would call H-D but really don't have any confidence on the answwer I would be given. Example: One Service Manager I spoke with told me the reason they say it won't fit the FLHXSE2 is because it doesn't come with a King Tour Pak.   Sheesh
TIF2

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 04:09:13 PM »

The wiring diagram wire assignments for a non-CVO Ultra are in reply #5 in this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53364.0

And shown below:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/harleypingman/2011%20Wiring%20Diagrams/AudioWiring0001.jpg[/img]]

I added this information to allow comparison to the 2011 wiring diagrams and show the differences among the various models.

For purposes of adding rear speakers to an SESG2, the non-CVO wire assignments for rear speakers use pinouts in the 35 wire connector that are not used on the 2011 CVO models because the '11 CVO EG Ultra and RG Ultra use only the front speaker pinouts and send that signal to the OEM tour pak mounted amplifier.  Using the non-Ultra overlay harness, 70169-06, for rear speakers on an SESG2 would appear to work since the radios in all bikes (CVO and non-CVO) is the same, and the wiring involved is to access the appropriate pinouts on the radio's 35 wire connector; there are no electronic/resistor/etc. issues--just running wires.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:22:48 PM by Harleypingman »

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »

Regarding the addition of XM, NIM, and/or CB, another wiring problem with the SESG2 is that it doesn't have the 6B connector found on the 2010 SESG or other non-Ultra fairing models.  Here is the interconnect harness wiring diagram for 2010 and shows the 6B connector, "Audio Harness," at the bottom:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/harleypingman/2011%20Wiring%20Diagrams/2010WiringDiagramnon-CVO0001.jpg[/img]]

An important function of the 6B connector is to provide power (red/orange wire) and ground (black/green wire) to the accessory modules.  The non-Ultra Overlay harness has a connector to connect to the 6B connector labeled "interconnect."  So, even adding the non-Ultra overlay harness to an SESG2 there is not 6B connector to connect to.  The solution is to simply create one using the appropriate Detusch connector and tap the power and ground wires already inside the fairing.  The NUOH's 6A connector (labeled "Interconnect") can now be connected to the fabricated 6B connector to supply power and ground to the modules.

Personally, I haven't done this 6B connector fabrication on an SESG2.  However, I did do so on my '04 EG when I retrofitted the Harman Kardon radio and installed CB/Intercom, rear speakers/passenger controls.  The 6B connector on my '04 wiring harness was different in size and wiring, but I used the 6B parts that would be used for the suggested modification (replicating the 2010 interconnect 6B connector) and tapped the appropriate wires inside the fairing.  Everything functions as intended.

Carl

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Re: SOLVED ... Boom Audio Rear Speaker Pods - why not for FLHXSE2?
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »

TIF2, as for amplifiers, J&M has announced they will introduce a 500W four-channel in-fairing amp in early 2011.  Since you're not in a rush, this would be worth considering.

Carl

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 04:48:02 PM »

TIF2, while I was typing you edited the title of this thread and added "SOLVED."  I look forward to reading the solution.

Carl

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 04:54:36 PM »

TIF2, as for amplifiers, J&M has announced they will introduce a 500W four-channel in-fairing amp in early 2011.  Since you're not in a rush, this would be worth considering.

Carl

I have the 125.2 version of that amp and not very impressed (it's "ok"). Looking at getting a JL Audio M400/4 amp for the juice.
Also going to move to component speakers for the fairing - trying to audition a pair of Hertz Mille MLK 165.
TIF2
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 21 queries.