Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Need windshield advise  (Read 4705 times)

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
Need windshield advise
« on: April 15, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »

I know the topic of windshields is not a new one on this forum, but I could use some help with regards to passenger comfort.  I have a 6.5 klockwerks on my bike and it works great for me.  Unfortunately, when my wife gets n the back, she complains that the wind hits her square, and has asked if there is a windshield out there that would cut some of the wind for her.

I'm thinking the only way that is going to happen is if I'm looking THROUGH the windshield.  I'm 5'8", and my wife is 5'5".  We're riding on a Corbin with passenger pillion.

Thanks.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Need windshield advise
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:45:01 AM »

You might check out Freedom Shields. Their unit looks like the stock unit with the exception that they add a "flip" at the top. Supposed to perform as if 2" taller. Zero Distortion in the viewing area unlike the Klockwerks.

They are listed as one of the vendors here and we get 15% off. Just type CVO in their special code area. It ends up under $90. When you order one you can install it and test ride it.(Don't remove protective stuff) If it's not right you can send it back for a different dimension or your money back.

I have not tried one yet but I'm 5'-8" as well (wife if 5'-1") and they tell me the 7" will work. I measured and the 8" just creeps into my view. I think within the next month I'll order one.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:23:02 AM »

Clearview is another company that offers a great product and great customer service. They are on this site and have the flip at top and a good return policy.
They have an article on their site on how to select the height of the shield. Just your height can be compaired  to someone but other things like body type (long or short torso) and riding style (straight up or slouched)can affect height of shield. Then you have helmet type too.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=11

Fxr4Rider

• More to come
  • Full CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, it's the journey.
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 Yellow
    • CVO2: 2012 Flhxse3- Build Date 01/12
    • CVO3: 1985 FLT (SOLD)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 12:19:53 PM »

I replaced my stock shield with an 8 inch dark tint from Longshields. I am 6 foot using the stock seat. I find the 8 inch a little high and blocks to much of my vision for night driving, so i am ordering a 7 incher as well.
It looks good and has reduced the buffeting over the shield. (Now if i can just get the buffeting reduced by the forks and over the lower fairings!)

I am only endorsing the fact that this is what I currently use and my personal experience. I am happy with the difference it makes over the stock shield and my BSR also finds  the ride more enjoyable.

http://www.longrideshields.com/  (they currently have 25% off and the next 10 customers as of 10 am today who use code "springsale30" will save 30% of the regular price.

Just my 2c worth of info.   :bananarock:

Fullsac w/ 2" cores
Zumo 665
LED Spots with Led Trim Rings
HID Headlight
Red LED under glow street kit
Kury Curved Lic plate
Ultimate seat with backrest
FUN AS HELL TO RIDE!!
King Matched Tour Pak
Ultimate Seat
LRS Windscreen
More Chrome
Andrews 54's
.30 head gaskets
Chubby's and Heated Grips!

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »

Thanks for the responses!  I'm pretty sure that I'm going to end up with a shield that I have to look through for my wife to get out of the wind in the back.  I'll have to swap out the windshields when she's riding with me.  It sounds like Clearview or Windvest are the best options to look at.  I'll have to get my wife on the back and measure it out to be sure.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

Bigtow

• Junior CVO Member
  • Double Diamond

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:06:13 PM »

what the stock size FLHXSE3 ?

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 07:04:24 AM »

I think it's just a 6" standard type shield.  I went with the windvest 9".  I sit a little higher on the '12.   I really do like their shields. 

LincolnUSA

• LincolnUSA
  • Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac B X-Pipe, 2.0" Baffles, TTS Mastertune
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:43:25 AM »

Go with the Freedom Shield...the curved lip at the top does a great job of deflecting the air upward.

mrbhd

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2008 Flhtcuse3
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 01:51:52 PM »

+1 on the Windvest.  I have had 3 on 3 differnt bikes.  Great product and exceptional people to deal with.  Highly recommend :)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 02:04:39 PM »

Thanks for the responses!  I'm pretty sure that I'm going to end up with a shield that I have to look through for my wife to get out of the wind in the back.  I'll have to swap out the windshields when she's riding with me.  It sounds like Clearview or Windvest are the best options to look at.  I'll have to get my wife on the back and measure it out to be sure.

We both use the Windvest as well.

But for your wife.....have you considered a modular helmet?  The new Nolan N-104 is a really nice helmet. :2vrolijk_21:  If she's opposed or resistant to a full face type, just tell her to leave the face shield up (even the whole chin bar and all).  Once you get rolling and the wind hits, it'll come down.  Just be sure she knows how to open both the face shield and the chin bar for when you stop. 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:57:09 PM »

JC,

My wife does not wear a helmet.  Funny, ever since we rode out west many years ago, she went from always wearing one to never wearing one.  She doesn't mind the wind, it's hjust that my 6 " klockwerks outs the wind flow right her head.  It's perfect for me ;) but doesn't work for her n long rides.  When I get my new Corbin sears from HD-Dude, I think I'll put her on the back and try some measurements ( of the height :)) And then decide how tall a shield I need to go with.

As usual, there are lots of great opinions on the. Different types of shields, if I'm going to have to look through a shield, I'm really going to have to look for clarity as well as the recurve which I love.

codten

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 04:34:51 PM »

I just received my longrideshield and must say that I love it.  Easy to install and looks great. I ordered the 11 inch smoke tint.    I took it out for a test ride and I was so surprised at how well it worked.  At one point I even took off my sun glasses, there is no wind.....

In this day and age it great to receive a product that does what it promises.

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 08:33:54 PM »

I know exactly what you are talking about.
I was using a 6.5 inch recurve that worked well for me but my wife also complained.
I went with a 8 inch-I can still see over it, I'm 5'7"- flat top long ride shield with recurve. The flat top adds to eliminating the wind, and it does it well.

the etching was extra

dd
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 04:02:09 PM »

Ebay have just provided me with real top class used HD Winsplitter screen.
Fitted the screen this evening.
Looking forward to test the screen as soon as the rain stops falling.

I must clean up my garage.  :jalapeno:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.