Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: How to get black heel mark off pipes  (Read 21809 times)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: How to get black heel mark off pipes
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2007, 09:58:16 PM »

I guess my attempt at humor was lame.

Good luck removing the boot rubber.

It's funny, :) but you would think that after awhile the ratio of failed humor attempts to home runs would improve. I'll lay some of my best stuff out there, and often get it stuffed right up the ol' caboose.

Don't stop trying.

BTW, for what it's worth, it was way over my head. :)

djkak

mdduce

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2007, 10:23:18 PM »

You should try the stuff,( GOOF OFF )It works great just soak your polishing cloth with it hold it on it for a couple min.wipe off if it's real thick just repat until gone then wax!Hope that works for ya it leaves no abrasion!!!

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2007, 01:29:35 PM »

You should try the stuff,( GOOF OFF )It works great just soak your polishing cloth with it hold it on it for a couple min.wipe off if it's real thick just repat until gone then wax!Hope that works for ya it leaves no abrasion!!!

Totally agree..... best stuff to use ... works EVERY time with no hassle, no scrubbing, no scratching ... AND you can do it when the pipes are cold. Remember to use a liberal amount and turn your cloth frequently.  :2vrolijk_21:

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2007, 02:22:50 AM »

I was going to try the Goof Off but by the time I got to the hardware store they were closed. So, after the pipes cooled down a little, I tried to scratch it off with my finger again. This time it worked. I guess the repeated heating burnt most of it off. There is a small amount still visible so I may try it tomorrow.

mdduce

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2007, 07:17:22 AM »

It will it's great stuff! GOOD LUCK

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2007, 07:26:22 AM »

Another product to add to the stuff on the cleaner shelf - Goo Off.

May need to start another cleaner shelf soon..... ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »

Totally agree..... best stuff to use ... works EVERY time with no hassle, no scrubbing, no scratching ... AND you can do it when the pipes are cold. Remember to use a liberal amount and turn your cloth frequently.  :2vrolijk_21:

Couldn't agree more!  This stuff is great.  I use a small sheet of a paper towel soaked thoroughly with Goof Off and lay it over the rubber marks and let it soak for a while (the paper towel works great at keeping the product where you want it).  Come back later and wipe it clean with a soft cloth and Voila!  Ms. Bear is always letting her foot drop onto the pipes and leaving her mark.  I've become pretty familiar with this cleaning routine, and I must say, it works great.  I have started using the "Glare" polish after cleanup and it seems to clean up much easier on the subsequent occasion!

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2007, 09:10:04 PM »

I've had a pair of the Harley lace up boots for a long time, and since I've had those boots, heal marks on the pipes aren't a problem.  A couple a weeks back, we we're heading off for a three day ride to Palo Duro Canyon, and lot's of rain was in the forecast, so I decided to wear an old pair of boots that were slip ons, not lace up, thinking they might be drier. They were, but when I got home, I had boot marks all over the right pipe. After reading this thread, I used the new razor blade method, whith a little goof off added. Came off very easy. Never would have believed it. It must have been over 1/8 of an inch thick.  Guess it says something about the quality of the Harley boots too.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

DavRex

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2007, 11:45:10 AM »

I've had this problem also. I started by using a heat gun get the pipes nice and hot, then I used a Popsicle stick to lightly remove as much of the hard plastic as possable. I then let the pipes cool down and use a good solvent remover like 3M adhesive remover or PPT paint prep. Remember the chrome on our bikes isn't like the chrome on your cars bumper (its very thin) you will scratch it if you use a razor our any harsh chrome cleaner. They also have blue be gone for pipes and simi chrome you can purchase these at any Bike shop....

Glarepro

• Vendor
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2007, 03:05:42 PM »

Before trying some of the more aggressive suggestions like using Acid, Goo, Razorblade, and such, try cleaning the burn mark area first with a good degreaser (GLARE Turbo Action Wheel Cleaner is an Excellent choice since it is a non acid formula). Next give the burn mark a good rubdown using the GLARE Knockout Compound, dig deep to get it all out.  That normally works 9 out of ten times, and its always best to try the safer route first before trying something that could scratch up and ruin your pipes like razorblades, acid and what not.  In the worst case scenario if it doesn't work, you'll have the best scratch and oxidation remover for your paint in your arsenal for when you need it, then you can always try plan B which would be the razorblade and some acid LOL! (and even if you do in fact have to resort to plan B you can use the GLARE Knockout to remove any residual burn stains that may be left on the pipe). But Im sure that it will work and that you wont have to resort to plan B and bust out the blowtorch. LOL!   8)
You can buy it here:
www.glare.com
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 04:11:37 PM by Glarepro »

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2007, 03:08:07 PM »

Hey GlarePro,  Sounds like great advice. I am going to have to get me some of this Glare products.  After hearing so much about it and not able to keep my own feet off my own pipes, I can use something less abrasive than the over cleaner I've been using.   :cherry:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 24 queries.