Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Help Me Decide Which Wheels  (Read 8389 times)

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
Help Me Decide Which Wheels
« on: April 06, 2007, 09:51:28 AM »

I am considering buying new wheels for my bike...a 2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King...I have narrowed my choices to three, as described in the pole.  I think that I want an 18" with a metzeler 140 for the front.  Attached is a recent photo of the bike.  Which wheel do you think would look best?  Any other comments?  Here is a link to XTreme Machine so that you can view the wheel choices. http://www.xtrememachineusa.com/custom%20motorcycle%20wheels-xtreme%20machine_010.htm
I'll give it a few days to see what folks think, then I'm gonna place an order!  Oh, and I understand that they have a backlog...I am in no hurry...I intend to go through HogPro.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Help Me Decide Which Wheels
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 12:32:34 PM »

Hey there SCRM-R

With the paint theme you have going, I'd opt for the Arson wheels. That pattern seems to match pretty well.

Have you given it any thought on going with a 21'' front?
The 21'' shows off more of the wheel pattern and handles great. I have no regrets with my 21''.  An 18'' w/ a 140 is a great choice as well.

If you go with the 18'' I'd be compelled to run a single rotor up front to show off your investment. That would look spectacular on your bike with the wheel exposed.

It doesn't look like you hold back at all when it comes to your scoot :2vrolijk_21: So you could also go with a different front fender to expose the wheel even more. Maybe a fatboy fender?

Take a look at this thread by Don (iselbulls) You'll see some different looks of before/after photo's.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=11746.0

Extremes finished product is outstanding :2vrolijk_21:

Hope all goes well,

Grover 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 12:56:52 PM by Grover »

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:44:16 PM »

Here's a shot of my Burnt wheel.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 12:53:55 PM »

Screamer....I like the Arson on your bike as well.  Particularly if you are going with an 18" front, I think you'd see more of the flame with the Arson than with the Burnt.  Those wheels would look awesome on your bike!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 07:22:26 PM »

Thanks for the comments thus far.  I'm a little surprised that noone favors the Eaglez...I think that they go well with the "Screamin' Eagle" theme, and I thought that I would be less likely to run into someone else that has them.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 08:28:59 PM »

Thanks for the comments thus far.  I'm a little surprised that noone favors the Eaglez...I think that they go well with the "Screamin' Eagle" theme, and I thought that I would be less likely to run into someone else that has them.

I would love the Eaglez; if it actually looked the Screamin Eagle eagle's head.  For what we end up having invested in these toys it's hard to accept close approximations though.

Granted, they feel they probably can't accurately copy HD's bird.  But that's what it'd need for my money.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 09:11:21 PM »

I am in the Arson group! john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 05:46:21 PM »

I would love the Eaglez; if it actually looked the Screamin Eagle eagle's head.  For what we end up having invested in these toys it's hard to accept close approximations though.

Granted, they feel they probably can't accurately copy HD's bird.  But that's what it'd need for my money.

My thoughts exactly Don. Their eagle head looks too much like a crow. That's why I decided to go with the burnt wheel.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 08:12:12 PM »

I'm leaning toward the arson...I think that I like it best, but I can't figure out why the burnt is higher priced? :nixweiss:
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 11:25:27 PM »

My thoughts exactly Don. Their eagle head looks too much like a crow. That's why I decided to go with the burnt wheel.

If anyone offered a wheel that was the "correct" head I'd know what wheels I was getting though.  Especially with the same head engraved in to the legs right next to the wheel now.  It'd finally be a no brainer.  As is, still waiting for something to speak to me.

Tros

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 11:43:51 PM »

Arson is probably the best choice. 

SCRM-R if you haven't already done it, I would suggest you ride someones RK with the 18" wheels & low pro tires to feel the difference before ordering.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 02:37:32 AM »

Add my vote to the Arson camp, but show some wheel, whether a single rotor or 21" wheel.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 07:09:12 AM »

...I would suggest you ride someones RK with the 18" wheels & low pro tires to feel the difference before ordering.
The new 2007 SERK's come with an 18" front wheel.  I don't know anyone that has one.  Is there a big difference in the way that they ride/handle?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 07:15:38 AM by SCRM-R »
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 09:42:10 AM »

If anyone offered a wheel that was the "correct" head I'd know what wheels I was getting though.  Especially with the same head engraved in to the legs right next to the wheel now.  It'd finally be a no brainer.  As is, still waiting for something to speak to me.

The eagle head needs to be further out towards the rim of the wheel, IMO.  With the ones pictured, and on an 18" wheel, I'm thinking the eagle head would be almost all covered up by the rotors, requiring the change to a 21" front or a 13.5 rotor on one side to be able to see the design well.  :nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 09:44:49 AM »

The new 2007 SERK's come with an 18" front wheel.  I don't know anyone that has one.  Is there a big difference in the way that they ride/handle?

The bike handles better than the standard RK's, but I'm not sure I'd attribute that to the wheels as much as the Radial Tires. It has 18" front and 17" rear. It's the best handling RK I've owned, but will imrove drastically with the Cartridge fork upgrade and better rear shocks. If I were looking to change wheells, I'd go with Radials on them! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.