Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Traxxion Brake Upgrade  (Read 9382 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Traxxion Brake Upgrade
« on: June 28, 2007, 06:59:14 PM »

I went by Traxxion Dynamics after work and picked up the new brake pads to try out. First impression is that they look like, well, brake pads. The pad material did look thinner than what I expected, more on that later.

Here's a shot of the new and old. The new pads have a gas groove to help expel the gases generated when braking.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Traxxion Brake Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:02:14 PM »

Here's a shot of the side of the pads. It is clearly visible that the new pad has a much more substantial base then the OEM pads. But, because there is only so much room for the pads and rotor, material had to be removed from the brake pad material. Pad replacement life is a concern.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 07:03:40 PM »

Here's a comparison of the base material thicknesses: Harley Pad 0.126"

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 07:04:11 PM »

Traxxion pad: 0.159"

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 07:06:29 PM »

As for the pad comparison, the OEM pads I removed with 3,750 miles on them measured 0.185" and the new Traxxion pads measured 0.131"

Depending on wear characteristics, this may be a moot point.

As soon as the local thunder gets out of here, I'll get out and ride it some to see how they feel.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 07:15:18 PM »

Here's a shot of the side of the pads. It is clearly visible that the new pad has a much more substantial base then the OEM pads. But, because there is only so much room for the pads and rotor, material had to be removed from the brake pad material. Pad replacement life is a concern.
Are the hair looking things on the old pads brake fibers (dust) or did you find Don's dead cat? ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 07:17:50 PM »

Thanks Chief, wear could be a concern. There's substantially less brake material. I never thought to compare the Lydall's to the stock one's when I changed them on the WG. But if braking is much better, it's worth the cost of admission! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »

Are the hair looking things on the old pads brake fibers (dust) or did you find Don's dead cat? ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

You mean this one?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 09:22:19 PM »

So much for testing and bedding-in the brakes tonight. We're getting some very much needed rain, so I guess I'll just have to do it tomorrow on the way to work.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 08:51:49 AM »

Rode the bike to work today and the new Traxxion pads feel good. They're still new and continuing to bed in, but right now they feel very comparable to the stock pads, if not better. My ride is only about 10 miles, so there is probably still more to be gained.

A lot of the braking improvement can probably be attributed to me paying more attention to stopping quickly and an improvement in my emergency braking skills.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 09:58:27 AM »

Rode the bike to work today and the new Traxxion pads feel good. They're still new and continuing to bed in, but right now they feel very comparable to the stock pads, if not better. My ride is only about 10 miles, so there is probably still more to be gained.

A lot of the braking improvement can probably be attributed to me paying more attention to stopping quickly and an improvement in my emergency braking skills.

I know after the Traxxion suspension replacement and the standard suspension dive being gone, I would rate my standard pads much better than before the Traxx upgrade.  I'll be interested to hear what you have to say when you get a chance to do a longer ride with some frequent braking, like on the dragon when your pads are tested during repetitive braking.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 10:08:25 AM »

I know after the Traxxion suspension replacement and the standard suspension dive being gone, I would rate my standard pads much better than before the Traxx upgrade.  I'll be interested to hear what you have to say when you get a chance to do a longer ride with some frequent braking, like on the dragon when your pads are tested during repetitive braking.

The plan is to get up to Traxxion today. That's why I stopped in yesterday to get the pads installed and bedded-in before going up for them to thrash it around a bit this afternoon.

Maybe once they're all bedded-in, I'll swap back to the OEM's for some comparison braking. This is when I'm thinking it would have been a good idea to mark the pads as they were removed.

I just hope the pad wear is less than the stockers since there is a good bit less of it to start out with. Maybe they could compromise on the backing plate thickness for another 30 mils of pad without losing all of the increased integrity of the thicker backing plate.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 10:20:48 AM »

The plan is to get up to Traxxion today. That's why I stopped in yesterday to get the pads installed and bedded-in before going up for them to thrash it around a bit this afternoon.

Maybe once they're all bedded-in, I'll swap back to the OEM's for some comparison braking. This is when I'm thinking it would have been a good idea to mark the pads as they were removed.

I just hope the pad wear is less than the stockers since there is a good bit less of it to start out with. Maybe they could compromise on the backing plate thickness for another 30 mils of pad without losing all of the increased integrity of the thicker backing plate.

Looks like a racing pad set up to me.  Backing plate for heat transfer with hard braking etc. and I would presume that the material is harder than the stock stuff so it would wear longer.

I would think that the Traxx guys know the compound and could give you a pretty good idea of the wear to be expected.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 10:25:30 AM »

Looks like a racing pad set up to me.  Backing plate for heat transfer with hard braking etc. and I would presume that the material is harder than the stock stuff so it would wear longer.

I would think that the Traxx guys know the compound and could give you a pretty good idea of the wear to be expected.

I agree. Since racing is their heritage I'm sure its some pretty good stuff. Hopefully less dust too. I wonder if these pads will turn our rotors into a wear item requiring more frequent relacement.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 10:27:59 AM »

I agree. Since racing is their heritage I'm sure its some pretty good stuff. Hopefully less dust too. I wonder if these pads will turn our rotors into a wear item requiring more frequent relacement.

Looks from the compound that the dust would definitely be less, not much graphite looking material there.  I doubt the rotor wear would be excessive for our purposes.  You would just get a big improvement when it is most needed.

Normal braking wouldn't cause wear issues.  Howie most likely would have them paper thin in weeks though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 21 queries.