Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Traxxion Brake Upgrade  (Read 9386 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Traxxion Brake Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 10:39:38 AM »

Looks from the compound that the dust would definitely be less, not much graphite looking material there.  I doubt the rotor wear would be excessive for our purposes.  You would just get a big improvement when it is most needed.

Normal braking wouldn't cause wear issues.  Howie most likely would have them paper thin in weeks though.

;D ;D ;D

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 11:35:15 AM »

Chief-I appreciate yours and Terry's efforts in getting/trying the new pads from Traxxion.  It is going to be extremely hard to find something better than the Lyndall Z's for my riding style.  It is great to have all these choices.  I personally like the Z's because:
1) no brake dust
2) no rotor wear
3) no brake noise
4) much better brake feel thru rear pedal and front lever
5) stops better but no scientific measuring data

I just put new Z's on my wife's FBoy along with ME880's and she can even tell the difference in the Z's.

Again, I am thankful for your report(s) and testing and they may be the next pads(s) for us.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 11:47:09 AM »

Chief-I appreciate yours and Terry's efforts in getting/trying the new pads from Traxxion.  It is going to be extremely hard to find something better than the Lyndall Z's for my riding style.  It is great to have all these choices.  I personally like the Z's because:
1) no brake dust
2) no rotor wear
3) no brake noise
4) much better brake feel thru rear pedal and front lever
5) stops better but no scientific measuring data

I just put new Z's on my wife's FBoy along with ME880's and she can even tell the difference in the Z's.

Again, I am thankful for your report(s) and testing and they may be the next pads(s) for us.

Boatman,

I'd like to try a pair of the Z pads too. I haven't ever used them before. The last bike was a '99, so just the 2000 up stock brakes are better than what I was used to. Then these came along. It just keeps getting better.

I'm not doing stoppies yet, but there's always the ride home.  :D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 12:01:33 PM »

We don't want racing pads. Lyndall makes both the racing compounde and the Z pads. The racing pads require too much heat for proper braking with them. We don't use them or get them hot enough to work properly. The Z pads compound is more suited to street riding. If the Traxxion Pads are racing compound, they'd not be best for the street. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 12:15:50 PM »

We don't want racing pads. Lyndall makes both the racing compounde and the Z pads. The racing pads require too much heat for proper braking with them. We don't use them or get them hot enough to work properly. The Z pads compound is more suited to street riding. If the Traxxion Pads are racing compound, they'd not be best for the street. Hoist! 8)

My assumption is the compound used is the correct copound for how these big bikes are ridden. This is based on nothing more than Max seems to know his chit.  :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 12:29:53 PM »

It's the same compound they are using for the Wing pads.  Things I know:  Stock Wing pads are on par with stock HD pads, perhaps better.  A simple pad change on Traxxion's Wing produced DRAMATIC differences in stopping distances with this product.  No heating up of the pads was necessary to see this with my own two eyes.  Drive bike up the street with stock pads...lock the ABS system up.  Ride back to shop, change pads (cold pads, but bedded in to rotors from prior testing), do exactly the same run up the street...stop some 20 to 30 feet sooner.

Chief...it took me about 100 miles or more to bed the Lyndal Z pads into my new PM rotors completely.  Big huge difference now over stock.  The interesting comparison would be between the Lyndal and these, but you are going to see a big improvement.  Unfortunately, it's not easy for us to duplicate situations with our bikes because we don't have ABS, so it's going to be a subjective evaluation.  We know that the Lydalls are great pads...if these are a bit better, it'd just be gravy.

Max and Traxxion started in Racing applications, but their focus now is on street bikes, so the products they are having us test are the best they can find for street use.  So far, so good.  Racers want chit for free, and then put a sticker on their bike advertising the product.  It's hard for a place to stay in business like that.  Out of all that experience with racing has come great products for street use, like the AK-20's.  Hopefully, this will be another.

Can't wait to hear about the testing done today on Chief's bike. :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 12:43:34 PM »

It's the same compound they are using for the Wing pads.  Things I know:  Stock Wing pads are on par with stock HD pads, perhaps better.  A simple pad change on Traxxion's Wing produced DRAMATIC differences in stopping distances with this product.  No heating up of the pads was necessary to see this with my own two eyes.  Drive bike up the street with stock pads...lock the ABS system up.  Ride back to shop, change pads (cold pads, but bedded in to rotors from prior testing), do exactly the same run up the street...stop some 20 to 30 feet sooner.

Chief...it took me about 100 miles or more to bed the Lyndal Z pads into my new PM rotors completely.  Big huge difference now over stock.  The interesting comparison would be between the Lyndal and these, but you are going to see a big improvement.  Unfortunately, it's not easy for us to duplicate situations with our bikes because we don't have ABS, so it's going to be a subjective evaluation.  We know that the Lydalls are great pads...if these are a bit better, it'd just be gravy.

Max and Traxxion started in Racing applications, but their focus now is on street bikes, so the products they are having us test are the best they can find for street use.  So far, so good.  Racers want chit for free, and then put a sticker on their bike advertising the product.  It's hard for a place to stay in business like that.  Out of all that experience with racing has come great products for street use, like the AK-20's.  Hopefully, this will be another.

Can't wait to hear about the testing done today on Chief's bike. :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Terry. I'm very happy with the AK-20 front end and am sure I'll be happy with the BiTubo's too. They have a great reputation as well. Just thought I'd mention that there's a big difference in racing and street compounds. If they're making a street performance pad, I'm sure it will be fine for our bikes. Better than the Lyndall Z pads? Time will tell! ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 01:24:44 PM »

1) no brake dust
2) no rotor wear
3) no brake noise
4) much better brake feel thru rear pedal and front lever5) stops better but no scientific measuring data

Boatman,

Your #4 is my #1.  The stock pads never did have a decent "feel" and seemed to be off or on with nothing in between.  The Lyndall's have a very linear feel which makes modulating the brakes for best stopping distance (without locking) much easier.  I fully agree with the rest of your points also, especially like not having instant black all over the rims immediately after cleaning them. :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 01:50:10 PM »

Jerry-

I just typed as my brain worked, which isn't that great sometimes.  They were not in order of signifigance.  The "feel" is what I like also.  It is going to be tough to be better than these.  Bob

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 04:26:41 PM »

Conclusion of testing....  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

The linear feel of these pads is great. What I mean is I squeeze harder, I stop faster. It seemed that with the stock pads, this was true to a point and then the pads just couldn't provide any more stopping power. With these pads, it just doesn't quit. You start putting some gorilla grip on the lever and you had better be ready to stop. No joking.

Very impressive to say the least. It takes a lot to get me excited about new parts, but these are really good.

Max said these pads will be around $75 per caliper. HD stockers are $36 and Lyndalls are $48.

So, how much better are these than the $48 Lyndalls? I don't know. I'm working on getting that comparison set up, because without it, I can guess how fast these pads will sell.

As for the compound... This is a different compound than on the Wing pads. This compound is one step more aggressive than that on the Wing pads. The reason for this is the manufacturer of the Wing pads does not have rights to the HD backing plate shape, and the company that has the rights for the backing plate does not have rights for the compound on the Wing pads. Therefore, the HD pads get a slightly different pad composition.

I'll continue to ride them and see how they last. The material is an endurance material, so hopefully they will give good pad life.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2007, 10:12:20 PM »

Added about 200 miles to the pads and shocks today, with a bunc of that in the twisties os North Georgia. It's scary how quickly the new pads haul the bike down now. They do seem to benefit from warming up as first thing out of the driveway in the morning they're nothing special, but soon come up to snuff.

Riding with two fingers for the brakes is all it takes now riding in the curves. If you give a full hearted squeeze, you really need to give a real good press on the bars to stay in the seat. It's freakishly fun stopping that quickly.

I'm hoping to work it out so I will be able to get a comparison with the Lyndalls soon. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to provide some stock vs Lyndall vs Traxxion (Versha) comparisons. I should know more this week about comparing to Lyndalls.

One small problems is that with this much stopping force up front now, getting the front end done is much more important that it was before. With a firmer front-end, it will be even better.

shrtyonaflht

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 10:45:07 AM »

Does anyone know if these pads will be available for older bikes w/ single piston front dual brakes??
i don't have a cvo. but i think traxxion is a good company. 75 bucks for pads is ridiculous, i don't care how much money you got.
peace
shrty

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 10:52:45 AM »

Does anyone know if these pads will be available for older bikes w/ single piston front dual brakes??
i don't have a cvo. but i think traxxion is a good company. 75 bucks for pads is ridiculous, i don't care how much money you got.
peace
shrty

It is a safe bet to say no. I wouldn't think there is enough of a market out there for the single piston caliper pads to make it attractive for them to go after.

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 02:35:26 PM »

peace
shrty

Good afernoon shrtyonaflht !

:welcome_005: on the CVO website.

I send the  :welcome_005:  from FRANCE.

It'll be nice for the other members if you present you in the thread "New Member Introduction"
with a pic of your bike  :2vrolijk_21:

Best regards

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 02:40:05 PM »

It is a safe bet to say no. I wouldn't think there is enough of a market out there for the single piston caliper pads to make it attractive for them to go after.

No market. They've been making those calipers since the early 80's. There's millions of them around. I have them on 2 of my 3 bikes. I use Lyndalls in them now. Why wouldn't you think, if the word got out on these, that there'd be no marketfor them? :nixweiss: Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.