Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: MILES  (Read 9304 times)

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
MILES
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:32:45 AM »

Surely someone that has purchased a 2017 HD has had the opportunity to ride the heck out of it and has several thousand miles on their bike already. Is there any feedback yet?

I have found reviews from reporters and from people that have taken one for a test ride but have not found anything from an actual owner that has put on a lot of miles.

Are the new bikes so great that the new owners are not getting off of them long enough to post up a review or two about their experience? quality? Problems?

Or are the new bikes so bad everyone is afraid to admit they actually bought one?

ultrarider123

Re: MILES
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:58:40 AM »

Hey Chief, it may still be a bit early for a good, miles-driven review.  They only came out officially on August 23rd and began showing up in the showroom the following week.  I would give it to the end of September or so which would put it after the MoCo US meet-greet-ride Sept. 23-24.  Plus, there is a MV GTG this week and some of our number may be on new 2017 that can comment after that.  In addition, it's that time of year to get out and look at the Fall colors....just a lot coming up that gives the new 2017 owners the opportunity to air them out a bit to get over the initial rush of that first ride of ownership and be able to give a good review.

I'm like you, however.  I am looking forward to an extensive review from actual owners/riders, not just the paid unbiased motorcycle press... :drink:

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 10:18:21 AM »

Not sure if this qualifies, but I put about 400 miles on my bike this weekend. I picked it up Friday and had a stage I done with the new harley street tuner and street cannon mufflers-the bike already had the high flow air cleaner.  It did 91HP on the Dyno and 118 ft lbs of torque. I've been impressed with it so far.  The lack lack of noisy valves and lifters is one of my favorite things.  Power delivery is remarkable-very smooth and linear throughout the gears. It's easy to exceed the speed limit if you're not paying attention.  Thought I was doing 50mph and looked down and I was doing 65. It runs much cooler and has less engine shake at idle....but it still shakes which I think is a good thing. The suspension is a huge improvement.  Front end feels much more solid and the rear shocks are better but still not world class in my opinion.  Didn't notice any significant  difference in the clutch feel or transmission. I  Both felt very similar to my 2015 CVO Streetglide. I had no difficulty in finding neutral and the clutch engagement point was similar to my previous CVO.  The exhaust sound is going to take some getting used to.  It's deep and has a good tone when you crack the throttle but its a little muffled at idle.  Coming off a Thuderheader and D&D on my last two bikes, I would like a little more volume....its disappointing not to set off all the car alarms in my neighborhood...Overall, my initial impressions are very positive.  It's still a Harley just a little more refined.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 11:22:08 AM »

I'm hoping its good as well. But stopped by the local dealer to look at the new CVO's and the one my dealer was riding at the dealer show was up on the lift with the covers off and gauges hooked to it. Oil light was coming on and they are not sure why?

BigLew

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 11:32:59 AM »

I'm hoping its good as well. But stopped by the local dealer to look at the new CVO's and the one my dealer was riding at the dealer show was up on the lift with the covers off and gauges hooked to it. Oil light was coming on and they are not sure why?

BigLew
...and so it begins....

More and more I am considering doing major upgrades and rebuilding instead of buying new.
When Ruby starts getting 'tired' ....spend $10 or 15g......to have a bike the way it should have been in the first place. By definition...buying CVOs is insanity!!
Having a motor that is built to tight tolerances.....and runs properly....a good suspension......good tires... It would cost way less than the difference at trade time....and you have to spend 'a few thousand' to 'fix' a new bike anyway.
As a bonus.....The Moco won't have a grip on the short and curlies!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 11:47:26 AM »

BigLew

Several folks on HDforums is reporting the same problem.  Replacing oil pumps.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 11:52:50 AM »

And so it begins. :( :'(

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 01:45:55 PM »

They must have missed that during the 1,000,000 miles of testing.   :oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 04:03:10 PM »

Yeah but its easy to miss when you only put 1,000 miles on 1,000 different bikes. LOL :D
 :orange:

BigLew

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 04:17:50 PM »

Yeah but its easy to miss when you only put 1,000 miles on 1,000 different bikes. LOL :D
 :orange:

BigLew
Sad as it is... I'd bet that is how they got (and can get by saying) one-million miles of testing (as is probably done by other manufacturers claiming significant miles of testing). I doubt it was one bike/motor that has accumulated a lot of miles of testing. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 08:56:51 PM »

Haven't  rode one but they started one inside the Dealership and it could have killed Sika Mosquitos. Blue smoke rolled out of it.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 09:16:56 PM »

I tried to find this but am woefully unskilled at the task.  Can anyone guide me to the info on that site.  A PM will be good so as to not dilute our fine CVO HARLEY site.  Thank you.

Thanks to those who responded.  I'm now scared chitless with anticipation. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 11:24:44 AM by Panhead_Jimmy »
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 10:00:35 AM »

I posted on another thread my initial thoughts, but here they are again.
The clutch hits very late. When I shift I can feel it in the clutch lever. The idle is very low. Makes you think it will stall but doesn't. Handles very well. The new suspension doesn't seem much different to me. The motor is strong and pulls hard. So far I am happy with the bike, but It's not even ready for the 1K service yet so we will see in the future.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 10:06:33 AM »

I posted on another thread my initial thoughts, but here they are again.
The clutch hits very late. When I shift I can feel it in the clutch lever. The idle is very low. Makes you think it will stall but doesn't. Handles very well. The new suspension doesn't seem much different to me. The motor is strong and pulls hard. So far I am happy with the bike, but It's not even ready for the 1K service yet so we will see in the future.
I noticed that also when I test rode a 107" Limited.  Wonder what causes that and if there is a remedy or is this just the design and the way it is an shall forever be.   :nixweiss:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultraswede

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 02:37:57 PM »

When I shift I can feel it in the clutch lever.

So does my 16 CVO ltd, more so when the engine is hot and when shifting at mid to high rpm and high load.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.