Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: running lights - signals  (Read 4120 times)

ontcanuck

• 2014 CVO FLSTNSE Softail Deluxe
    • ON

• CVO1: 2014 CVO FLSTNSE Softail Deluxe
running lights - signals
« on: October 21, 2017, 08:16:37 AM »

I turned my sportster rear turn signals into running lights was very easy to do. Has anybody done this on their softail cvo?
2014 CVO FLSTNSE Softail Deluxe in Crimson Red

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: running lights - signals
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 08:52:24 AM »

Harley still sells the simple kits to convert turn signals to running/brake/turn functions.  This link will take you to one such kit that indicates it will fit a 2014 CVO Deluxe:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/auxiliary-brake-running-turn-signal-conversion-kit-pa-11-6946206b--1

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dirtyike

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 02:18:19 PM »

Hello the CVO Deluxe already comes that way. It only has the two tail lights which function as running lights, brake lights and turn signals.

ontcanuck

• ON

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 02:13:42 PM »

Not sure why yours does as my bike when its running , lights on the only thing that is on is the taillight. The signals are not running lights or brake lights you have to install a conversion kit worth $ 69.00 the Harley dealer told me they sell a lot of them. Maybe us Canucks don't have them "eh" :-\

ontcanuck

• ON

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 07:25:23 AM »

I bought the kit from HD and the one side of the harness plugged in the other side wasn't close. I double checked and the part # was correct?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 08:50:09 AM »

Not sure why yours does as my bike when its running , lights on the only thing that is on is the taillight. The signals are not running lights or brake lights you have to install a conversion kit worth $ 69.00 the Harley dealer told me they sell a lot of them. Maybe us Canucks don't have them "eh" :-\

Canadian bikes have different rear lights and a different lighting wiring harness, so I'm guessing that's why yours doesn't work the same as a US model.  That's also the most likely reason that conversion kit I mentioned previously doesn't connect properly on your bike.  I didn't see a note on the listing saying it wouldn't work on a Canadian bike, but obviously based on your result it isn't made for a Canadian model.  Sorry about the misinformation.

No doubt it can still be done, just not as simply as it should be.  I'm guessing it has to do with different lighting regulations between the two countries.  If you have amber rear turn signals, to legally make them running lights I'm pretty sure you have to change to red on the rear.  Amber is for the front, red for the rear when it comes to running lights.  It would probably be too expensive to swap over to the US version lights, and if you did it may cause issues with the Canadian authorities.  We need another Canadian to chime in here who is more familiar with this situation.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ontcanuck

• ON

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 07:19:12 AM »

The kit comes with 2 red lenses but the harness ends are different . I turned my sportster rear turn signals into running lights was very easy to do it also came with extra red lenses

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.