Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modular helmet purchase  (Read 1873 times)

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7(traded)
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE(traded)
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE(traded) ‘19 FLHXSE(traded) ‘21 FLHXSE
Modular helmet purchase
« on: September 02, 2019, 04:37:41 PM »

Hi all. So yesterday I purchased an LS2 Valiant modular helmet. I can’t report on it too much, but I did wear it riding home after the purchase. One thing I noticed when closed up, it really cuts down on hearing the sound system.
I own a 2019 FLHXSE, so it already has the WHIM. I have my HD Sena mounted on my 1/2 helmet now, and if I have the phone plugged in, I’m able to make and hear phone calls via the stock speakers.
Also, I knew buying the LS2, it has the slide lever for the tinted visor right where the HD Sena should be mounted. I wasn’t too concerned about that, but on my way home, I believe now I’ll need to put speakers in the helmet.
I could probably make the Sena fit, but it will take some modifications to the lower edge of the helmet.
Or, the LS2, uses the LinkIn ride pal 3. I’m new to this stuff, so my question is, should I try to fit the Sena, or how is compatibility of the LinkIn with the H-D GTS going to work? Plus, if I go the LinkIn route, that’s around $200. Any helmet gurus with any suggestions what I should do here?
Thanks, BF

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
Re: Modular helmet purchase
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 06:21:54 AM »

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-30k-20s-evo-20s-universal-helmet-clamp-kit-with-slim-speakers
You can get everything you need for the Sena for $85.00.  I had a similar issue with my Shoi Neotech but they give you lots of speaker wire to move the helmet clap around.  I also removed the long boom mic that comes attached to the clamp and installed the wired style boom mic that comes in the package, inside the helmet as the Shoi has the slots to install it.  Not sure about your new helmet but it likely does.  This way the wire on the start of the boom allows you to move the clamp back.

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 08:50:31 AM »

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-30k-20s-evo-20s-universal-helmet-clamp-kit-with-slim-speakers
You can get everything you need for the Sena for $85.00.  I had a similar issue with my Shoi Neotech but they give you lots of speaker wire to move the helmet clap around.  I also removed the long boom mic that comes attached to the clamp and installed the wired style boom mic that comes in the package, inside the helmet as the Shoi has the slots to install it.  Not sure about your new helmet but it likely does.  This way the wire on the start of the boom allows you to move the clamp back.
Thank you. I will definitely check it out. BF

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 09:21:49 AM »

Here is what i do, and so far it's working for me.

I ride with both a 3/4 open face and a half helmet with the Sena mounted on it. I used to ride with earplugs to cut down the wind noise, but found that I had to run the speakers at full volume to overcome both the earplugs and the wind noise. So I decided to combine both.

I got the Sena unit that accepts plug in head phones. Then I purchased headphones that were in the ear, ear-plug style. It works great! The silicon earplugs block out the wind noise, and I can run the built in speakers at a lower volume. It works so well, I hardly use the bike stereo as it cannot match the how good the head phones sound. If a call comes in I just look at my handlebar mounted smartphone and decide if I want to tap the Sena jog button to take the call.

Depending on which helmet I wish to use, I just clip the comm unit into the base, plug the headphone plugs into my ears, put on the helmet and off I go.

It works for me, might not work for everyone.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 01:36:07 PM »

Ironhorse, that’s another good idea. Do they stay in your ears well enough? I’ve never tried what you mentioned, but regular ear buds never want to stay in my ears very well. I’ve tried the ones with interchangeable silicon tips, but didn’t like them too much. Thanks for another idea. BF

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 03:13:52 PM »

Ironhorse, that’s another good idea. Do they stay in your ears well enough? I’ve never tried what you mentioned, but regular ear buds never want to stay in my ears very well. I’ve tried the ones with interchangeable silicon tips, but didn’t like them too much. Thanks for another idea. BF

So with the half helmet it's not a problem as I can easily get to them with the helmet on. With the 3/4 open face, I have to make sure they are in snug before sliding my helmet on. I can always remove a glove, or go with a finger less glove and just slide my finger along side the cheek pad and push it in.

One of the reasons I like the plugs I use is that they fit inside the ear canal. Once in, they don't move unless the wire snags on a collar. Like anything else, the more you do it, the easier it is.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »

Mark,

I love your idea and thanks for sharing it.  I can see this move in my future as I did not know this even exist.

All the Best

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 22 queries.