Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Velva-Ride front motor mount  (Read 4046 times)

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
Velva-Ride front motor mount
« on: March 19, 2007, 12:01:44 PM »

I started installing a Velva-Ride front motor yesterday in my 05 SE glide and ran into a few minor questions.  First off, the old mount is a bitch to get out once you have the oil cooler and regulator out of the way.  You really should loosen the top mount plate that hangs off the motor a bit(I didn't), this will keep you from having to jack the hell out motor in order to get the rubber mount out. 
OK, on the my questions. 
The Instructions say to torque the mount to frame bolts (which need to be swapped out to 1.5" from the stock) to 15 ft-lbs.  This seems way too light, the shop manual calls out 33-38 ft-lbs for these.  Second, after torquing the engine mount center bolt to 25 ft-lbs (per instructions), the bottom bushing can still spin a little.  I read somewhere on this site that someone recommended taking about .04-.05 off of the spacer to get better results.  So what are others experiences with this mount install? 
BTW-I was really uncomfortable jacking up the motor far enough to remove the old mount, I thought for sure I was gonna put the rocker boxes into the tank.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Velva-Ride front motor mount
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 02:47:48 PM »

Matt-
I'm not a tech but did the install myself early last year.  Like yours, after I tightened the down bolt, I could still spin the lower bushing.  I rode it like that for a week or so, called Vthunder, talked to several people and none could help.  I took a fibre 1/16" washer that had the same ID as the outside of the spacer tube and tightened mine up against that and it does not spin.  I have rode it that way for over 4,000 miles.  Motor did not shake any more or less whether the bottom mount spun or not.  A fellow on another forum cut a little off the spacer tube and he said that was a wrong idea as engine was too solid and vibrated badly.  He was going to order another spacer tube.
I feel the velva ride mount is much better than my stock that was not broken-just wanted something better.
You will also have to grind a little off the oil cooler mount to clear the new velva ride mount.  I just torqued per their spec's and what was in the MOCO service manual.
In removing the old mount, I loosened the 2 bolts on the front of the engine so the upper mount had some movement and the old mount would clear as I too thought I was going to break something gettin the old mount clearance to remove.  The new  3 piece velva mount is easy to then get in place.

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 03:36:08 PM »

I started installing a Velva-Ride front motor yesterday in my 05 SE glide and ran into a few minor questions.  First off, the old mount is a bitch to get out once you have the oil cooler and regulator out of the way.  You really should loosen the top mount plate that hangs off the motor a bit(I didn't), this will keep you from having to jack the hell out motor in order to get the rubber mount out. 
OK, on the my questions. 
The Instructions say to torque the mount to frame bolts (which need to be swapped out to 1.5" from the stock) to 15 ft-lbs.  This seems way too light, the shop manual calls out 33-38 ft-lbs for these.  Second, after torquing the engine mount center bolt to 25 ft-lbs (per instructions), the bottom bushing can still spin a little.  I read somewhere on this site that someone recommended taking about .04-.05 off of the spacer to get better results.  So what are others experiences with this mount install? 
BTW-I was really uncomfortable jacking up the motor far enough to remove the old mount, I thought for sure I was gonna put the rocker boxes into the tank.

:worthless:

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 05:43:27 PM »

I posted in the STA BO thread about milling some off of the center of the bushing. It was explained to me just as you described it that it won't tighten up if you don't.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.