Custom Vehicle Discussions > CVO™ Limited

Looking for proven methods to remove tank console numbered insert

(1/2) > >>

VRODDAVE:
Hello again,  I need to replace my fuel tank console due to scratches where the seat meets to console.

My local dealer tells me that the original numbered insert cannot be ordered as a part. There is a part number but they say the production number is not asked for during the order process leading them to believe its the generic insert.    if someone knows otherwise please enlighten me.

so,  i need to remove and reattach the insert to a new console.   My first thought is that once the console is removed a heat gun can be used on the back side to release the insert.    anyone ever done this?    I don't want to risk ruining it if there are any other methods that are tried and true.

thanks for any feedback on the subject.

Dave

hd-dude:
Those inserts are nearly impossible to get off without damaging them. They are made out of very thin metal and use a thin double sided adhesive to attach to the console. I have tried several and can only recall getting one off and being able to reuse it. Heat from a heat gun from the underside and dental floss gently in a sawing motion down the length of the insert is how I've done it. If you pull up on it and it bends it will not lay flat again.

Good luck!

VRODDAVE:
 I was afraid that would be the case.   I guess it might be best to Leave it attached to the old console and do Somthing custom with a new insert.    My old flhtcse I bought a really cool art glass insert but I don’t think anyone is making anything like that anymore.   At least not that I can find

Thanks for the feedback

paulblk:
My dealership ordered one for my bike as it was scratched with details and paperwork with
Production numbers it took a couple of weeks and I received new one with my number on it

VRODDAVE:
COOL!     Thank you for letting me know. I tried going through parts department and they told me I could not be done but I will go back and try again.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version