Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What Harley Should Have Done  (Read 3200 times)

WildClyde

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 FLHXSE
What Harley Should Have Done
« on: September 29, 2020, 11:21:59 AM »

What Harley should have done: partner with an industry leader who has been working on electric motorcycles since 2006.

https://www.polaris.com/en-us/news/company/polaris-announces-zero-motorcycles-partnership/

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

Clyde

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: What Harley Should Have Done
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »

Agree. HD missed opportunity.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

mark

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »

Once again the largest domestic motorcycle company is following, not leading.

mgallagher

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 09:21:09 PM »

Harley did do that and killed Alta after they took all of the technology Alta built a motocross  bike that was as fast as current Honda and KTM 250 race bikes. Harley. is not a little dumb but a lot dumb. Does anyone  think the live wire is profitable or a cheaper version will be made that is profitable. Not they have the shoe who championed the bike and the frozen chicken ladies steering the ship

DOCGSS

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2020 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 08:57:40 AM »

Actually this is the second go round for Polaris "teaming up" with electric manufacturers as they did with Brammo. I for one am glad HD developed their own electric bike as it is generally considered the best in class currently. Sales does not determine the best platform. At least HD is original while Polaris reminds me of the Chinese corporate mentality. For the life of me I do not understand why this forum has become a Harley haters trolling ground. No one forces anyone to buy a product from HD. If someone does not like a company, why not simple buy a product you do like. It is interesting that so many feel they are the corporate wizards that have the magic formula for HDs success if they would only listen. No company of HDs size is easy. What is the magic formula for the magazine industry. Markets give significant challenges.

WildClyde

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 11:47:50 AM »

For the life of me I do not understand why this forum has become a Harley haters trolling ground

I am not a Harley hater!  I currently own two Harleys: a 2016 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide; a 2019 XL1200X Sportster 48. In all, I have owned seven Harleys (three of them CVOs). I have also owned: two Triumphs; a Ducati; a KTM; and three BMWs. Every bike has something to love including the Harleys.

I want to support Harley and I would have purchased a new 2020 Harley but put the brakes on all future Harley purchases. De-committing HD-Connect after promoting it crossed the line for me because I have to be able to trust companies I do business with. If I were a current 2020 Harley HD-Connect user I would be angry as Hell that Harley took a feature away from me after the sale! Harley will have to re-earn my trust before I purchase from them again.

As far as the Livewire goes, others disagree on how competitive it is in the market - especially as compared with Zero:
https://electrek.co/2020/06/10/zero-srf-vs-harley-davidson-livewire-electric-motorcycle/.

Clyde

mark

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 09:37:41 PM »

Actually this is the second go round for Polaris "teaming up" with electric manufacturers as they did with Brammo. I for one am glad HD developed their own electric bike as it is generally considered the best in class currently. Sales does not determine the best platform. At least HD is original while Polaris reminds me of the Chinese corporate mentality. For the life of me I do not understand why this forum has become a Harley haters trolling ground. No one forces anyone to buy a product from HD. If someone does not like a company, why not simple buy a product you do like. It is interesting that so many feel they are the corporate wizards that have the magic formula for HDs success if they would only listen. No company of HDs size is easy. What is the magic formula for the magazine industry. Markets give significant challenges.
Is Harley Davidson dumb?  I don’t know, but many are perplexed by decisions the MoCo has made...like developing a $30k electric motorcycle that’s not going to sell because it’s too expensive, has limited range, and isn't cost competitive with other electric offerings.  It may be the best in its class, but if it’s unaffordable to the target audience, we know how that’ll turn out.   

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 01:34:18 AM »

Is Harley Davidson dumb?  I don’t know, but many are perplexed by decisions the MoCo has made...like developing a $30k electric motorcycle that’s not going to sell because it’s too expensive, has limited range, and isn't cost competitive with other electric offerings.  It may be the best in its class, but if it’s unaffordable to the target audience, we know how that’ll turn out.

Does anyone know a rider who bought the Livewire? Other than Jay Leno and Jason Momoa,....
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 07:21:36 AM »

Does anyone know a rider who bought the Livewire? Other than Jay Leno and Jason Momoa,....

Nobody I know.  I do know of a couple of HD owners who were "definitely going to buy a Livewire" but when they saw the price vs the competition they changed their mind.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

mark

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 09:50:37 AM »

I’ve never seen one at a dealership...only at the HD Museum in Milwaukee.  I suspect most dealers don’t want any.

DOCGSS

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 10:40:11 AM »

Great question. It was the same question they asked Elon Musk with the first Tesla Roadster built on a lotus frame. Or SpaceEx. Or flat panels that started dat 10,000 a piece. First entries into a market are expensive and at first niche pieces. Companies factor in the losses. Tesla lost money every year until this last year. But they needed to establish their position in the market. Wall street knew that which is why they have a larger capitalization than Ford. I do not mean to say that HD will become the Tesla of electric motorcycles. But I am happy that when HD produced an electric they took their time, got feedback and have a best in class product. As all best in class products, they will never be affordable to all.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 01:29:59 PM »

^ If best in class means 10 years late to the table to under perform the competition at 10k above the price of their competitors while having early charging issues which stopped delivery of the few that were purchased, then I guess it's class leading.  Be glad you have a 2020 with the 4th version oil pump assembly & primary mod and shouldn't have to live through a sumping issue or fluid transfer problem.  People on this site are true HD fans and love their bikes but when people are spending ever larger sums of money (40K+) and getting unreliable products in return it can leave a bad taste in your mouth.  Space travel was conquered in the 60's as were electric cars in the early 1900's (Miss's Ford drove one) so  I don't see the greatness in a guy who hired old NASA guys and built electric cars with loans, subsidies & selling air credits to show a profit..

2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

DOCGSS

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 03:14:46 PM »

My wife's 2018 Honda Odyssey has had 8 recalls. My BMW 440i oil change is unbelievable and it's reliability along with BMW Motorcycles are ranked at the bottom. My 2018 Ram 2500 Diesel Truck has had 4 major failures and each oil change is $600. I can continue, my point is few manufacturers will meet the standards that HD is being asked to by some people here. That primitive technology and engineering existed earlier does not mean that the issues were resolved. We all stand n each others shoulders and improvements are continuous. What electric motorcycle manufacturer has a significant market share and is profitable? The assessment about being best in class is not coming from me, but essentially every test and comparison I have read. It has no interest for me in its current form, I have no interest in sport bike ergonomics. I still will say again no one is forcing anyone to purchase an HD. They are most definitely not perfect, either is my Triumph, BMW or Vespa. When I was in college my 1975 Norton 750 Commando certainly was not, no bike is. If I purchased purely on reliability I would have bought a Yamaha or Gold Wing. I want a Harley and its quirks.

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 10:44:27 PM »

I’ve never seen one at a dealership...only at the HD Museum in Milwaukee.  I suspect most dealers don’t want any.

Local dealer here on Vancouver Island has lots of them.  They even have demo units and offer hour long test rides.  They have two other stores on the mainland BC and currently show 39 Livewire bikes in stock between them.  One of them has over $5000 cdn in customization done by the dealership. And yes they have sold some.

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

mgallagher

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 11:45:46 PM »

I don't think it is about being  haters but it looks like they are trimming the bushes when the roof is falling in. I think the money would be better spent on core products. Baggers are money makers and need r&d to keeps sales from falling
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 22 queries.