CVO Technical > Milwaukee-Eight

Consistent ping

(1/8) > >>

rayson56:
Looking for insight from people in the know here please. My bike is a 2018 CVO RG 117 and has had a pretty consistent and bothersome ping at 2900 rpm which is not noticeable when cold and much more apparent as the engine gets warmer, and terrible when hot. Does not appear to be fuel sensitive as I only run 91,92 octane and have even tried non ethanol when it's available. I have had my bike dyno tuned after adding the Fullsac header and 2"cores with TTS, then on a local dyno after adding a cam chest upgrade which included a RS 468 cam. Then by another tech on a 3rd Dynojet, and while the bike runs pretty good (it's possible they each needed to remove some timing to ease the pinging) the pinging at that RPM is still consistent at temp. I also have added the oil cooler fan.
I'm wondering since 3 tuners have failed to fix this problem if there is something physically wrong inside the engine? Some sort of carbon build up, bad valve seat, cracked intake?  :nixweiss:

Any insight, especially by you builders would be greatly appreciated.

Unbalanced:
What tuner are you using?   Is the knock sensor turned on?   If it is, what is max degree of retard?

Can you data log the ping so you can address specifically where it is happening?

You hear the ping?   Or something (logging) is telling you it’s pinging?

If your using the Power vision and have the unit - you could do a few trials on the road using the quick tune as well as the log capture.   In the quick tune you could remove timing in the mid range in steps to see if you can get it to disappear And / or capture the data to remove timing specifically where it occurs you can also do this with TTS as well.

rayson56:
As mentioned above TTS Mastertune is and has been the tuner. And yes the ping is audible. Tuned by 3 different tech's, one of which was Steve from Fullsac. But thanks for your input.

HOGMIKE:
You might want to check the TTS website and maybe try one of the tuning files that matches your build and see how your bike reacts. There may be a mechanical problem if all 3 tunes didn’t solve the issue.
Nothing to lose and easy to check.

Just a thought.
 :nixweiss:

HD Street Performance:
Perform a compression test with the throttle open and disconnect the ACRs. I agree with the plan to data log for timing events. The m8 has knock sensors,  it is possible one or both can be bad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version