Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transmission Side Cover  (Read 1356 times)

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
Transmission Side Cover
« on: January 05, 2021, 02:58:44 PM »

Recently had to replace my transmission side cover on my '05 SEEG due to a damaged bleeder screw (hydraulic clutch).  Got it replaced and last thing to do is add tranny fluid and screw the cap in.  Only problem is that the cap won't thread in the hole.  Threads on the cap are fine (threads into the old cover).  Cover was replaced with an aftermarket cover from Mid USA Cycle.  This was recommended to me and other than the cap not threading everything was fine. 

Looks like there may be some chrome plating in the threads that may be causing this.  Does anyone know the size of the tap for this hole?  It appears to be at least 3/4".  I would like to try and clean the threads before pulling this cover back off.

Thanks.
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Transmission Side Cover
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 09:38:52 AM »

Recently had to replace my transmission side cover on my '05 SEEG due to a damaged bleeder screw (hydraulic clutch).  Got it replaced and last thing to do is add tranny fluid and screw the cap in.  Only problem is that the cap won't thread in the hole.  Threads on the cap are fine (threads into the old cover).  Cover was replaced with an aftermarket cover from Mid USA Cycle.  This was recommended to me and other than the cap not threading everything was fine. 

Looks like there may be some chrome plating in the threads that may be causing this.  Does anyone know the size of the tap for this hole?  It appears to be at least 3/4".  I would like to try and clean the threads before pulling this cover back off.

Thanks.
3/4" X 16 tpi. tap "should" do the trick.
John
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 05:31:07 PM by johnsachs »

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 10:21:42 AM »

Thank you.  Got one on order.
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

vtwinjim

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 11:13:54 AM »

If leaving the cover on, apply some sticky grease on the tap and it will help grab the chips as they get cut.

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.