Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 0000 steel wool - I've been missing out  (Read 2857 times)

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
0000 steel wool - I've been missing out
« on: February 07, 2023, 04:51:29 PM »

I feel a little hesitant to post this as I feel as though everyone may have known about this already. Bottom line up front: I dry rubbed all my chrome with 0000 steel wool and now my bike shines more than I ever remembered it.

Detailing my bike the other day, I noticed that my chrome just wasn’t sparkling like it used to. I tried Capt Richards, Bug Slide, HD Chrome polish, Rubbing Alcohol, Acetone and no matter the method, I wasn’t seeing a difference… no scratches, just dullness. I would rub my finger along the heat shields and just feel (and hear) the grittiness from road gunk. I took to Google (something I don’t know why I never researched before) and looked for basic chrome cleaning and came across this video from V&H (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3kR3Uekw2U). Here, they showed before/after using 0000 steel wool. WTF?? I never imaged taking steel wool to anything chrome as I assumed it’d scratch the sh!t out of it… but there was proof.

I decided to go remove one of my saddlebags and found a nice part of my muffler that wasn’t exposed in the event this experiment was a mistake. Around 2 hours later, every bit of chrome on my bike was sparking like a mirror in the sun. All the pitting, grit and dullness was gone and NO MICRO SCRATCHES AT ALL. I brought it out in the sun and shined a light on every angle possible looking for scratches – nothing. Running my finger along the chrome and it felt like glass. I ran over and grabbed my neighbor to tell him about it (20+ year motorcycle cop) to which he replied, don’t ever f#cking take steel wool to your chrome. I left a little spot under my other saddlebag for him to see with his own eyes… that’s all it took.

You all might already know this little trick, but I feel as though I want to share with the entire world. If this is news to you… give it a shot and thank me later.
-Joe

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 0000 steel wool - I've been missing out
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 05:32:40 PM »

:worthless:

Congratulations. I'm reminded that a wadded ball of aluminum foil works very well, too.  :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 05:53:31 PM »

Glad you discovered another use for that stuff. I bought a used bike 3 years ago and the  PO had melted a vinyl engine cover in places on the exhaust. WD-40 and 0000 steel wool took care of it.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 06:18:37 PM »

0000 works great on GLASS windshields.  I wouldn't use it on our plastic bike windshields.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 09:29:47 PM »

That sounds great if the 0000 steel wool works for you but it would be interesting to see the chrome after this application under fluorescent light.
Not picking just my observation.  :2vrolijk_21:

I would have though anything other than a non abrasive cleaner and microfiber towel (with all tags removed) would be the best to clean chrome.
I use either a quick detailer or Glass cleaner for general detailing or chrome cream to remove tar and baked on bugs followed by the before mentioned cleaners but only after a wash with Meguires Gold Class detergent.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 10:38:49 PM »

Chrome is a coating, just like paint. No long term good will come from using an abrasive item on chrome. You need to look at it under a reflection light or small cheap magnifying glass. No matter what the number steel wool scratches and starts the breakdown of the chrome. I personally haven't used any of the products you describe but I recommend a dedicated chrome cleaner/polish like Mothers or Meguairs. If they are really grimy and have brake dust and tar then definitely use Iron-X, it will clean all the metallic scum safely. After getting them clean use a drying aid like P&S Beadmaker or Obsessed Garage after washing, every time. This will guarantee no water spots and leave the chrome so slick that build-up will not occur in the future.

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2020 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 06:46:06 AM »

I never tried the steel wool but my go to is Nevr-Dull, I had some burnt on rainsuit on my heat shield before, nothing would take it completely off, when I got home I broke out the Nevr-Dull and boom shiny as can be again.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 01:47:19 PM »

I use it to get melted stuff off pipes.  Spray a little WD40 and use the 0000.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 06:04:46 PM »

Today’s bath
-Joe

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 06:05:57 PM »

Derby cover
-Joe

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 06:07:52 PM »

-Joe

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 09:13:39 AM »

I have used ultra fine steel wool - sparingly - to spot clean something burnt onto a muffler, etc.  Key word is - sparingly - & always with something liquid like lots of soap or wax to minimize any scratching. As soon as the gunk began to give way I would switch to a microfiber & then that microfiber became an oil rag or a shop rag.  20 or so years back a friend was using 0000 steel wool to clean his wheels. Did this for a while - maybe 1 1/2 or 2 years. After the chrome gave way he was left with spotty unchromed wheels.  He was quite displeased.  Lots of great cleaners are out there.  Have found that waxing or polishing chrome makes it easier to clean, just like waxing/polishing the painted parts.  Works for me.  Your results, as the ads say, may vary.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

B-rad2

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 12:20:32 AM »

Flintz works good.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 10:32:35 AM »

good old copper penny has been used on my chrome for over 40 years
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.