Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New owner of almost new 2006  (Read 4619 times)

Madmanmike

• Life is a hiway.
    • AL

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTFSE2
New owner of almost new 2006
« on: June 22, 2020, 04:27:33 PM »

Hi guys

Just bought the bike, awaiting the shipper to bring it.

My first CVO, and my first question about it. Where can I go to find out the difference between the CVO and the regular model?

I know I have the 103, but, get example, is the motor still at risk for the worn cam tensioners? Or did the factory use a great drive in this motor? Are there more specific engine differences between the 103 and the 88?

Yes, I know, RTFM, but I don't have one yet.

Thanks
Michael
My last rides:
2014 FLHTK (Gone and good riddance)
2011 FatBoy Lo (Gone and missed)
1982 FXSB Low Rider, 6 Speed Tranny (Gone)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: New owner of almost new 2006
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 05:32:29 PM »

A Google search of 2006 Screamin Eagle Fatboy and a separate of just 2006 Harley Davidson Fatboy should give you the information you seek.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 05:46:20 PM »

Hi guys

Just bought the bike, awaiting the shipper to bring it.

My first CVO, and my first question about it. Where can I go to find out the difference between the CVO and the regular model?

I know I have the 103, but, get example, is the motor still at risk for the worn cam tensioners? Or did the factory use a great drive in this motor? Are there more specific engine differences between the 103 and the 88?

Yes, I know, RTFM, but I don't have one yet.

Thanks
Michael

Michael,

2006 still got the "old" mechanically loaded cam tensioners.  Those were notorious for earlier than expected and catastrophic failure.  Before the hydraulic tensioner upgrade option came out my personal service interval on the mechanical shoes was to replace every 25,000 miles.  I know some that died and took an engine with them as early as 19,000 miles.

No factory gear drive on Twin Cams.  Gear drive went away with the Evo engines.  The engines didn't get special internals just because they were on Screamin' Eagle bikes though.  You had the larger displacement, but that was about it.

Madmanmike

• Life is a hiway.
    • AL

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 05:55:51 PM »

Michael,

2006 still got the "old" mechanically loaded cam tensioners.  Those were notorious for earlier than expected and catastrophic failure.  Before the hydraulic tensioner upgrade option came out my personal service interval on the mechanical shoes was to replace every 25,000 miles.  I know some that died and took an engine with them as early as 19,000 miles.

No factory gear drive on Twin Cams.  Gear drive went away with the Evo engines.  The engines didn't get special internals just because they were on Screamin' Eagle bikes though.  You had the larger displacement, but that was about it.

Ahh. Bummer. But thank you for the reply.

Michael
My last rides:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 08:53:26 PM »

How many miles on the bike? If it's as low as the thread title suggests you don't have anything to worry about for a while. Then later do the cam plate change to upgrade to the new retentioners or even go to hotter cams too and make it a two for one.

Madmanmike

• Life is a hiway.
    • AL

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 09:00:43 PM »

How many miles on the bike? If it's as low as the thread title suggests you don't have anything to worry about for a while. Then later do the cam plate change to upgrade to the new retentioners or even go to hotter cams too and make it a two for one.

2300 miles on the clock. Yah, I know right? Heh heh. Crazy.

But actually, I'm worried more about the age of the factory tensioner shoes. I mean plastic just gets old and brittle, regardless of the miles on the bike.

Yah, I've already been eyeballing the S&S kits. Something fire a winter project.

Michael
My last rides:

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 09:19:57 PM »

I would check the bike over top to bottom...that low mileage can have issues as well....original tires???  Dry rot might be a concern.

Madmanmike

• Life is a hiway.
    • AL

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 09:31:31 PM »

I would check the bike over top to bottom...that low mileage can have issues as well....original tires???  Dry rot might be a concern.

Yes. Already priced new tires. They have gotten a bit more expensive since last time I bought bike tires. For friggin Dunlops.

Guy is a real collector. 29 other bikes in his heated 'garage'.  Oil changes for all bikes every year. Puts at least 100 miles on every bike, every year. Brake fluid flush every 5 years. Guy seems pretty serious about maintaining his toys.

Pretty cool find, I think.
Michael
My last rides:

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.