Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hiding the trailer plug?  (Read 2778 times)

Glide Boy

• Full CVO Member
Hiding the trailer plug?
« on: May 01, 2021, 01:51:51 AM »

Hello,

Thinking of putting a hitch on a 2009 SE Road Glide.  What is everyone doing to hide the electric plug?

Thanks

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Hiding the trailer plug?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 08:11:51 PM »

Hello,

Thinking of putting a hitch on a 2009 SE Road Glide.  What is everyone doing to hide the electric plug?

Thanks

I have the same bike.  I used the Bushtec hitch and did the wiring to a 4-pin flat harness.  Didn't have the Bushtec harness or need the 5 or 6-pin connector they use.

My trailer has a longer pig tail and I just plug it in and put the bag back on.  When I unhook, do the same in reverse and cap off the 4-pin connector.

Hope this helps you out.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Glide Boy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 01:05:42 AM »

Thanks Dan!

Is your hitch completely hidden from the rear?

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 04:03:35 PM »

Thanks Dan!

Is your hitch completely hidden from the rear?

I bought my hitch used from a like model standard touring bike, not a CVO.  I thought it would be good to go, but the lower 1/4" flat plate needed another inch of tire clearance.  I drew up what I needed in AutoCAD and used our water jet at work to cut out the new hitch plate.  The height of everything is still the same, just more tire clearance.

From the rear, if you bend down or are about 20' behind, you will see about half an inch of the receiver tube.  Not really too visible from the rear.  From the sides, it's totally hidden.  I have a Harbor Freight Tag-a-Long small 16 cubic foot trailer I've pulled a few times.  I lengthened the tongue about 14" and added a cooler nest just in front of the trailer container.  I also upgraded from 8" wheels/tires to 12" wheels/tires.  The hub temp is much cooler to touch now with the 12" wheels/tires.

Don't know how much I'll use the trailer, but it's all there if I want to... :)

If you want more pictures, let me know and I can e-mail them to you.  I don't have a picture host anymore on the Internet, so e-mail only or one picture at a time in a thread.

Thanks, Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Glide Boy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 11:28:23 PM »

Thanks for all the info Dan.  I am heading this weekend to pick up an N Line trailer and really want to keep the hitch as hidden as possible.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 11:43:48 PM »

The NLine trailers are a slightly different animal so far as their receiver and connection is concerned.  Unless you're willing to fab up something of your own the receiver will be boldly exposed beneath the fender. 

Several years ago here Chip documented using a Bushtec receiver with an N-Line trailer.  It required fabricating the intermediate bits but it did keep a receiver that was nearly completely hidden beneath the bike.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.