Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021 SOUND SYSTEM UPGRADE  (Read 682 times)

AUDIOPRO69

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible
    • CVO2: 2017 CVO ULTRA LIMITED
2021 SOUND SYSTEM UPGRADE
« on: May 27, 2021, 04:58:55 PM »

Hey there CVO Convertible family I know there are other threads about this on here but most are dated and the speakers mentioned are discontinued.  I have had my new to me 2012 for about 2 years now and love the bike but miss having great audio like my RGS has.  So after digging around here found what I could and then started planning.  I am an audio engineer by trade and did car stereo back in the day so I thought I would provide some updated info  -

after a ton of digging finally found the sound system breakout CAD from HD - Looks like the GPS or Ipod/phone feeds the power/volume pod with the buttons and then that feeds the amp Several on here have commented about wanting to add an amp but wanting to retain the stock power and volume controls so....

you have to cut the feed from the volume pod to the stock amp in that feed is power wires (black and red) and the signal wires that will feed the line level inputs on the amp.

So wireing in the power leads from the pod to the amp power input will allow for using the power button, then you will need to add RCA ends to the Line level leads from the pod to the amp (depending on the amp chosen as some will take bare wire on terminals) and BINGO power and volume control

For the amp you really need a minimum of 50w to really make most 3.5 or 4" speakers sing and have some punch.  (audio rule of thumb is your amp should be 2x the watts of the RMS speaker rating) 25W RMS on speaker 50W amp.  So the amp I am pulling the trigger on is the Soundstream  ST2.500D  75wx2@4   https://soundstream.com/product/st2-500d/ and it will fit (90% sure)  (3”w x 1.5”h) in the existing space where the OEM amp is!  They do make a 4 channel ST4.500D that is 45Wx4@4 same size if you didnt want to have an amp in the rear bag but 45W to drive a great 6x9 is on the weak side. Hope to tackle all of this over the holiday

For the front speakers I am still on the fence as the GOAT Polk DB351 speakers are discontinued for 3.5"
have seen a few here have done the Infinity ref series, Going to have a listen to the new POLK line tonight along with several options from Ground Zero (german) that are used in cycle audio competition systems

Then the next phase will be to tackle a set of rear bags with speaker lids - plan is to split the audio output of the GARMIN 595lm (yes upgrading the 660 that came with the bike as it does not allow BT streaming) using an 1/8" Male stereo  to dual stereo female jacks one output feeds front amp, second output goes to 2 pin molex snap connector that runs out the bottom of the fairing to meet up with the other end (like the stock one does for power) so you can still remove the front fairing.  Then that run of line level signal follows the wireing harness under the tank and seat the the back to feed the bag mounted amp for the rear speakers.  (this allows you to use the volume pod for control of all 4 speakers)

Next challenge was to figure out how to have hard bags but make them detachable for keeping the naked custom chopper look of the convertible when wanted.  The adapter kits for adding hard bags are all bolt on so ok no biggie 15min and socket wrench to remove the brackets......but what about the bags themselves, fou7nd this https://www.americanhardbag.com/products/speaker-wire-harness-for-saddlebags-with-quick-disconnects?variant=13907728839&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplpshopify_US_4056657479_13907728839&sc_intid=shopify_US_4056657479_13907728839&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhr2FBhDbARIsACjwLo3QFQG0E_knsJAiw9AP28_Eyhzhd35dPZ2FGhoHpv6gQrCKfIH2_VMaAqG-EALw_wcB and they also make the amp harness kit. And boom quick detach hard bags with speakers

I'm going to try my best to photo document all of this for everybody here and feel free to hit me up with any questions.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
Re: 2021 SOUND SYSTEM UPGRADE
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 01:47:57 PM »

I have a "new" to me 2012 FLSTSE3 that I picked up about 7 months ago so I am very interested in your project. I think the little audio system is cool but it is super dated. Total honesty here: I have not even tried the system yet. The person I bought the bike from included EVERYTHING so I am in a good spot. It looks to me like the Garmin was never even removed from the box from new. So I got some questions... How are you using the audio system now? (in stock form) iPOD? (who even has one of those anymore?), iphone?, or what? How do you control the volume? How do you even turn the audio system on? I have an iphone and an ipad but I know Bluetooth is not an option so the device has to be plugged in. I was thinking of loading songs onto that Garmin thing. Is that worthwhile or should I throw that Garmin in the trash? That seems so complicated when the phone is so easy. I need to get started and just find a way to use it as is. Give me your best advice.

AUDIOPRO69

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible
    • CVO2: 2017 CVO ULTRA LIMITED
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 05:27:58 PM »

Hey 2Smoke, The audio system gets turned on by the power button dead center of the removable fairing and the volume controls are on either side,  I am upgrading my Garmin to the 595LM from the 660 HD Zumo that came with the bike from the factory because it allows bluetooth streaming of music (and control)

I could mount my $1200 iPhone and use that in it's place but i opted to have a dedicated GPS out in the open and keep my phone in my vest or saddle bag

If you look at the top of the black part between the speakers there is a little trap door, if you open it you will find the audio cable from the Garmin plugged into the input jack for the sound system

If you unplug it you can use the headphone out of your phone to plug right into the system and get an RAM mount

The original ZUMO 660 is a PITA to load music on and the interface is slow. very pre iPod

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 08:11:29 AM »

AudioPro69- Ok, I see what you mean by the controls in the middle of the speakers. I opened that little trap door and fished out the cord. I watched a video about loading songs on the Garmin 660 and you are right- that is a royal PITA! Talk about ancient!!! So I think I'm gonna go the phone route. I have a iphone SE and I have all my music already on it. I was thinking about a slightly taller windshield so I could scrap that bracket for the Garmin (or modify it for the iphone?) or buy a "RAM" bracket that you suggested. I think that would probably be the cheapest (and easiest) thing to get me started. Thanks.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.