Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I May Have Asked This Before...  (Read 617 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
I May Have Asked This Before...
« on: June 10, 2021, 01:12:54 AM »

Hi guys!

Since I've been designing in my head over the past several years about a Harley powered car, I've collected some good parts and some bad parts.  Not bad really, but originally it was going to be a three wheel like the Morgan and now it's morphed into a replica of an old MG M-Type car.

The thing I may have asked and forgot about is this.  How much fuel pressure can a S&S Super E carb take before it floods past the needle valve?

I will have to run a fuel tank in the rear that will require a fuel pump to get the fuel to the carb up front.  I've found electric pumps that are rated from 1.5 to 3.5 psi and some others that also range in the 2 to 6 psi range.

I car carb usually will handle 4 psi up to around 6 psi without flooding.  Edelbrock carbs are more on the 4 psi range and the Holley's can handle up to the 6 psi range.  I have experience with both applications, but that does NOT help me with my coming project.

Anyone over the years ever run a S&S with a fuel pump?

I had thought about possibly running a surge type tank or reservoir type tank that holds maybe a gallon of gas and then I just replenish that tank from the main tank.  But I'm not sure my body design would allow for that small tank under the hood and still be above the carb, time will tell on that route.

So for now, I'll just have to go with the rear tank pumping straight to the carb.

Any suggestion or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, my motor I have is an '05 CVO 103" "B" Fat Boy motor.  I have the S&S intake and carb.  I will be running a Thunderheart standalone ignition system so no computers.  But now that I said that, maybe EFI would be a better route to go, but how do I come up with a system that's not going to require me to go back to school to get my electrical degree??? :)

Thanks again for putting up with my wild ass dreams!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.