CVO Social > Ride Report

2021 Laconia Bike Week

(1/29) > >>

Jock:
Ahhhhh…for many of you it has been ~ 15 months since you have attempted to return to “normal” as the world around you implodes.  For me, I have continued to live my life knowing I am not in control of it anyway. 

Therefore, as I was planning my year of riding, I had to consider a rally that it had been over 20 years since I had been there for this event.  In addition, knowing that there may be folks waiting for “normal”, this may be the time given a possible smaller crowd.

What rally am I referring to….Laconia Bike Week!  The Laconia Motorcycle Week rally is often mentioned in the same breath as events in Daytona, Florida and Sturgis, South Dakota. After all, these are three of the most popular motorcycle rallies in the country, drawing in over a million riders and motorcycle enthusiasts, combined, every year.  A smaller crowd could be appealing all things considered.

But Laconia can make a claim that the other two cannot. Often referred to as the Oldest National Motorcycle Rally, these roots reach back to the summer of 1916, when a Gypsy Tour gathered for several days at Weirs Beach on the southern shores of Lake Winnipesaukee.

In the early 1900s, Gypsy Tours were organized loosely and unofficially as a way for riders to gather and enjoy other related activities of interest including races and hill climbs. In other words, it was a way for motorcycle enthusiasts to share in their passions together. Each year, typically around the same summer weekend, riders would travel long distances, sleeping in tents and swapping stories around campfires, to converge on a favorite location.

This year, I have plans for my own Gypsy Tour while there and perhaps some other excitement too!

And so, I begin my journey, onward and upward to the New England area.  Who knows what I will encounter!  The plan – FUN!

Jock:
Day One – Savannah, GA – Aberdeen MD ~ 700 miles

I was not into the journey that long before the urge hit me!  All of a sudden!  Or perhaps it was the song I was listening to….

Jock:
Good thing I was near…    :drink: 

Jock:
Alright time to head back to my country!  Do you remember the “All-American City”?  Lumberton, NC! 

Jock:
Damn Right!  Bad Revolution Mad Indeed!  Let’s start it here!

BTW – These songs were actually playing at the time of my entrance into these areas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version