Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RADIO LOCKED IN UPDATE LOOP  (Read 632 times)

USNCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited - Black Earth Fade
RADIO LOCKED IN UPDATE LOOP
« on: June 15, 2021, 01:47:31 PM »

I tried to update the radio per HD instructions.  Radio is now stuck in an update loop that dealer says they can't reset.  Only option they say is a new radio.  4 days before a 1500 mile road trip.  Any suggestion or advise?

R/Don
2018 CVO Limited 140whp/152wtq
Previous
2015 CVO Limited
2007 Ultra 110whp/114wtq
2009, 2005, 2004 Hayabusa

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: RADIO LOCKED IN UPDATE LOOP
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 04:48:20 PM »

The problem is software and not hardware so recommending to replace the hardware is lazy, incompetent, or both.  It is very unlikely you've killed a radio.

One of the locals here had what sounds like a comparable problem and called me.  Over about a couple hours and two tall bottled beverages one evening we got out of it by putting the USB stick with the radio update back in and it started updating once again to go back to an older version. Then installed the dealer nav update.  Then installed the newest radio version update. 

We could reproduce the problem if we tried updating radio then nav.  Worked without problem if the updates were done the other way around.

USNCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited - Black Earth Fade
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 01:12:00 PM »

The problem is software and not hardware so recommending to replace the hardware is lazy, incompetent, or both.  It is very unlikely you've killed a radio.

One of the locals here had what sounds like a comparable problem and called me.  Over about a couple hours and two tall bottled beverages one evening we got out of it by putting the USB stick with the radio update back in and it started updating once again to go back to an older version. Then installed the dealer nav update.  Then installed the newest radio version update. 

We could reproduce the problem if we tried updating radio then nav.  Worked without problem if the updates were done the other way around.

I refused to accept that a computer could not be reset. I found out from MoCo that the Scandisk brand thumb drives cause problems.. long story short.. got a new thumb drive.. started the process over, worked fine ... radio back on line
2018 CVO Limited 140whp/152wtq
Previous
2015 CVO Limited
2007 Ultra 110whp/114wtq
2009, 2005, 2004 Hayabusa

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 01:27:50 PM »

I tried to update the radio per HD instructions.  Radio is now stuck in an update loop that dealer says they can't reset.  Only option they say is a new radio.  4 days before a 1500 mile road trip.  Any suggestion or advise?

R/Don
I refused to accept that a computer could not be reset. I found out from MoCo that the Scandisk brand thumb drives cause problems.. long story short.. got a new thumb drive.. started the process over, worked fine ... radio back on line
Glad you got it corrected/fixed... only suggestion I have for you is not take your bike back to the dealer that tried to sell you a new radio. The information you got from the MoCo could have easily been retrieved by that dealership if they truly were customer service oriented and not just part changers. >:(

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 05:01:47 PM »

Glad you got it handled....

Well said d00d!
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 05:27:48 PM »

Good deal.  A little perseverance and a tiny bit of homework is sometimes all the troubleshooting you need.  Like you it was just untenable to me that a software's attempted update bricked the radio.  Even more unacceptable was the dealership's response.  Glad you got it going.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 22 queries.