CVO Technical > Intake/Exhaust/ECM

Removing The Cats Without Voiding Warranty??

<< < (2/3) > >>

vtwinjim:
Save the factory exhaust and if you have an issue which allows you to re-install the factory system you may get away with it when you take it to the dealer.
Depending on the after market tuner you install, you may be able to back it out and go back to factory settings in the ECM but the dealer may find out when they hook their computer up. Then you are back to no warranty. If you don't perform your own repairs, this is probably not a good option.

Some people have cut apart the header, gutted the cat mesh, and re-welded the header. If cut at one of the existing welds and re-welded by an experienced welder, you can't even tell it's been messed with. Not the same performance as a new header though. Then you could use the Fullsac inserts on your mufflers as mentioned above and the bike looks stock. The tuner change can still be an issue.

As mentioned, you just need to decide which is more important to you, stock with warranty or modified for fun and noise. I had to remove my cat header because it was cooking my leg on my 2015. Had the engine rebuilt under warranty at about 26,000 miles. I then modified the bike and change the lifters every 20,000 miles or so. So far so good.

iski:
What Twolane said.  Any aftermarket tuner will void the warranty.  After market tuners leave an imprint & it's one of the first things they look for on engine issues. Modify the exhaust to non HD with a non HD tune will void the warranty.  There are some HD options which will leave it intact but they require all HD parts & an HD tune.

1badbagger:
I'm aware of the Harley tuner but it's limited as to what Harley is allowed to do with it. I do all my own servicing on my bikes so I'd rather use a tuner I can program. I'll probably ride it as is this summer to make sure I don't have any issues...Then do my mods over the winter. Maybe bye then, someone will come out with a tuner for the 2021's.

Thanks Again For The Replies, Dean

CVODON:
I am sure someone will come out with a tuner for the new bikes but it is getting harder all the time. EPA is really clamping down on the manufacturers. Diesel guys got it first and so did HD. Now they are going after the manufacturer of the part as well as retailers.
They just fined a small Honda Dyno shop in Colorado (PFI) $18K for selling tuners out of state that were marked "off-road use only" and manufactured and sold to them by a large tuner company.
To each his own but as I've gotten older, and more hard of hearing, that HD warranty is worth more to me than a louder muffler.
Also one of the comments above states as long as you don't tune that exhaust changes are OK. This is maybe true somewhere, but NOT here where I live. You change the header/delete cats and your warranty is gone.

HOGMIKE:
None of my bikes have any warranty but I’m ok with that.
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version