Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Pan America & BMW GS Comparison  (Read 4749 times)

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Pan America & BMW GS Comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 09:41:28 AM »

Just remember Revzilla sells way more stuff to BMW owners than HD owners. Follow the money...

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 10:08:35 AM »

True.  Took several bike mags back in the 1970s & 80s & each had their "favorite" brands.  Reviews were subjective.  Very subjective.  Not that much has changed as far as bike mag reviews go.  BMW is the 500 pound gorilla in this category, no doubt about that.   BMW has another contender.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 11:06:00 AM »

Rode the Pan Am 2 days ago for about half an hour. Impressive machine! We'll have to try the BMW for my own comparison.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

mark

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 09:31:13 AM »

Just remember Revzilla sells way more stuff to BMW owners than HD owners. Follow the money...
How do you know Revzilla sells more to BMW riders?  Nevertheless, I’ve never seen a bike publication review of adventure bikes where the BMW GS didn’t finish first, with KTM, Ducati, Honda, Triumph, etc. all coming in second, third, etc.  The GS is the King of the Hill in the Adventure class.  It’ll take quite an effort to dethrone the GS.

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 05:20:18 PM »

Well, I will let you know when mine arrives as I decided to forgo GSA #5 in favor of a PAS. Dealer network and piss poor BMW dealer customer service were major deciding factors.  Now if HD could get the bike delivered to me before the snow flies, all would be good with my world.

blueglide88

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 04:56:02 PM »

That comparison is a joke. What does most every test ride include?

1/4 mile times
0-100 time
stopping distance from various speeds

The fact that they don't include this tells me the PA stomps all over that BMW. For as long as I recall every test of a Harley panned it's lack of HP. Now all of a sudden they are interested in torque? LMAO

What I really don't get is the need for valve adjustments every 12k?
What year is this? 2021 or 1963? How time consuming and expensive is THAT at a BMW dealership considering the fact you have one within maybe 500 miles of you? Does the BMW come standard with drum brakes too?

Pure bias on Revzilla's part. I think the review from Baldy out of ADV Rider was much more honest
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 05:47:40 PM by blueglide88 »

mark

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 06:01:55 PM »

That comparison is a joke. What does most every test ride include?

1/4 mile times
0-100 time
stopping distance from various speeds

The fact that they don't include this tells me the PA stomps all over that BMW. For as long as I recall every test of a Harley panned it's lack of HP. Now all of a sudden they are interested in torque? LMAO

What I really don't get is the need for valve adjustments every 12k?
What year is this? 2021 or 1963? How time consuming and expensive is THAT at a BMW dealership considering the fact you have one within maybe 500 miles of you? Does the BMW come standard with drum brakes too?

Pure bias on Revzilla's part. I think the review from Baldy out of ADV Rider was much more honest
Like many bike comparisons, you find ratings vary due to the evaluators.  But, you have to concede, BMW is the king of the adventure class and there is a reason for that.     

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 11:25:03 PM »

I have 190 miles on my PAS. Shifter lever way to close to the motor, have to access with heel rather than toe. Bike is quick...faster than any of my 4 GSA's were. Screaming Eagle exhaust has good bark to it. Bike is a bit buzzy in the bars, but no worse than the BMW. Bike is more compact than a GSA. I have full set of bags and they hold a ton of stuff. Like most bikes it needs to be modified to fit your needs. Accessories are tough to get currently.  Aftermarket is slow to respond to this bike. Decent bike. But if I can't find a solution to accessing the shift lever....it will be gone.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 06:57:09 AM »

Like many bike comparisons, you find ratings vary due to the evaluators.  But, you have to concede, BMW is the king of the adventure class and there is a reason for that.   
BMW has been king of the Class.  Pan America Special is giving it a heck of a run, especially for a first attempt at an Adventure bike.  Most tests are saying this.  Local dealer has had two BMW riders trade for a PAS.

Hopefully, mine will be here soon.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 07:19:11 PM »

Rode the Pan Am 2 days ago for about half an hour. Impressive machine! We'll have to try the BMW for my own comparison.

Greg,  what were your likes and dislikes about the Pan American?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

blueglide88

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 04:23:02 PM »

"Like many bike comparisons, you find ratings vary due to the evaluators.  But, you have to concede, BMW is the king of the adventure class and there is a reason for that."

I don't concede that at all. It depends on what you think an ADV bike should be. It seems pretty obvious the PA is faster, handles better at speed, and brakes better than the BMW.
And since most if not all ADV bikes spend more time on the road than the dirt, the PA is going to be the better bike.

Do you think KTM owners concede the BMW is king? Triumph owners too? Ducati?

If you own a BMW and think it's best good for you. But again it's painfully obvious
which bike has better road performance. Not even having ridden both bikes off road I'll throw you a bone and say the BMW is better. However if I wanted to do serious dirt and not just be a poser, I'd buy a real dirt bike, not the PA or BMW

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2021, 09:43:26 AM »

Ok, time for my biased opinion on the BMW vs Pan Am thing. I have owned 4 GSA's and now a Pan Am. I am 6'4" 225. The GSA has a more roomy cock pit, definitely better leg room, has better positioned bags, and to me is a better integrated bike as it should be given its 40 year history. The PA has a better exhaust note, a bit more buzz in the bars at speed, is rock solid stable, it is faster but softer out of the hole. The PA is a really decent bike, but the GSA fits me better. But thats just me. No contest in dealer network, attitude, and service, PA hands down. Bottom line for me, unless I can get the PA sorted out ergonomically, its shifter, pegs, ect. I will sell it and get another GSA.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 09:51:16 AM by spook120 »

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 08:57:11 PM »

My Pan America goes to a new home at weeks end. Decent bike that has ergonomic issues I didn't want to deal with over time. My 22 GSA is supposed to land in April. Guess that says something re the BMW vs Pan America debate...for me.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 01:36:44 PM »

I test rode the Pan America last weekend at the Tomahawk motorcycle rally. It was at the official H-D demo tent so all kinds of new H-D bikes were there. Now I am 185 lbs and my 128 lb wife was on the back so add 2 leather jackets, boots, and helmets and we got 320 lbs on the bike. The riding position was great for my 6' 0" frame and the seat was pretty comfy. The suspension was very harsh and damn near rattled the fillings out of my teeth on a section of washed-out gravel. I'll say that's because the suspension was not set-up for 2 people on the back.? The throttle was very lazy- had to turn the throttle quite a bit to get a response out of it. Maybe not adjusted right? Then I told my wife to hold on and I did a 2nd gear full throttle roll-on. WOW! What a disappointment!!! That's 150 Hp? NFW!!! Yes, it was in "Sport" mode. My wife suggested that maybe the demo units are detuned so lunatics (like me) would NOT attempt 3rd gear wheelies or top-speed runs. (I would NEVER do that on a demo...) So I return the bike and the guy asked "what did you think?" I said it was underpowered and his reply was "well, at least you can say you tried it". The closest bike I currently own that is kind-of adventure-ish is my Honda XR650L. I would NOT trade it for a Pan America. Since I was bored with their "version" of 150 hp I decided NOT to test ride the new Sportster with the same engine but detuned. This is my opinion and my opinion only. You're results may vary.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.