Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: International Motorcycle Show  (Read 1274 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
International Motorcycle Show
« on: July 17, 2021, 11:37:48 PM »

I went to the IMS at Sonoma Raceway today.  It was so light I didn't take any pictures.  Quite a few major vendors did not attend.  No Honda, BMW or Ducati.  There were more than a couple of bicycle vendors pushing their latest electric models to compete with Livewire and the like.  I guess it was an attempt to broaden the appeal to include bicycle riders.  The only bike I sat on was the HD Pan America.  I like that bike.  I'd like to see them go 65k without grenading.  Oh, I also sat on the Kawasaki Z900. I know that bike will go 65k without grenading.

There was a distinct lack of vendors.  No representatives from Bates Leathers, Fox Creek, Schott or Hein Gerike.  Not even the Cordura stuff from Motorport.  No heated gear from Powerlet or Gerbing.  Not even the cooling hydrovest.  One sunglass vendor selling the usual stuff.  The antifog spray guy and one vendor for soft luggage.  There was one booth selling the boxy hard bags for adventure bikes.  There was one tent selling the usual obnoxious t-shirts, buttons and patches and cheap gloves and vests from Pakistan.  Michelin and Dunlop were there.  No helmet vendors at all.  Cardo was there selling headsets.  There was one vendor selling a front and rear camera system.  One beef jerky guy.  One prepacked caramel corn vendor.  No representatives from Corbin, Saddleman or Mustang.  No one showing custom painted tins. No Amsoil, but there was Liqui-Moly. Clearwater Lights was there, but no MotoLights.  No cleaning products, polishing products and bug removal products.  No plexiglass windshield products. I found myself walking around the parking lot looking at the bikes there.  I guess all the missing vendors are heading to Sturgis.  I hope Reno Street Vibrations is better.

Times must be tight as there were no freebies.  No key fobs, no kick stand plates, whistles, reflectors, pens or zipper pulls.  The only things I purchased were admission, hotdog and fries and iced tea.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2020 CVO Limited
Re: International Motorcycle Show
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 06:51:56 AM »

Cleveland used to have a show every February, loved going there but the Center closed down last year due to Covid so nothing in this area.  Never been to the show you are referring too but I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 12:12:32 PM »

I went and was happy with the test rides and displays of new bikes from those manufacturers who attended. This is a new way to do the show and I am sure it will expand. I really like the ability to take a longer test ride than when the show was at San Mateo.  I hope the outdoor show continues but it does need to expand with more dealers but the COVID thing has really put a damper on businesses.  We can only hope.

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 02:50:25 PM »

I was contemplating going.  Glad I didnt.  Sounds like a bit of a bummer.  Hopefully this next year of trade shows will improve.  I suppose its better than nothing!  ;D
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 23 queries.