CVO Technical > Twin Cam

Warning lights - water pump failure?

(1/2) > >>

CruisinEagle:
I have a Road Glide CVO 2015 (Twin Cam 110). Two warning lights appeared: red temperature light and orange check engine light. When I noticed this I stopped and let the engine cool for a while, but the lights came on again just a few minutes after I started rolling again. I have checked the coolant fluid level and oil level. Both ok. The oil gauge I have installed showed an oil temperature of 130 C/ 265 F which I believe is somewhat too hot. The fan does not start automatically, but starts when operated manually (twisting the throttle with ignition on). I have checked the fan/cooling fuses and they seem ok. Could this problem be caused by a failed water pump?   ???

wmustang:
Yep mine did same thing Daytona last fall rode for couple more days with no problem. Go ahead and get you a upgrade kit its not to hard to put on

Boatman:
I would replace the coolant temperature sensor when you replaced the pump as it goes in the clutch side radiator and you don’t want to take the lower apart again to replace it.
When you roll the throttle and the fans come on, take the water pump cover off and feel the pump to see if it’s running.
After you have ridden it see if both water pipes going up frame are hot.
The code set should be P1019.  Hold trip meter down while turning ignition on to get code.
ECM comes up first.  If code says Y.  Hold trip meter down and code will show.  Hold trip meter down again and clear code and ride and see if comes back.
But when it’s all said and done replace the water pump as stated previously.
Good luck.

CruisinEagle:

--- Quote from: wmustang on July 19, 2021, 07:38:47 PM ---Yep mine did same thing Daytona last fall rode for couple more days with no problem. Go ahead and get you a upgrade kit its not to hard to put on

--- End quote ---
Thanks  :) I have also been riding the bike for a few days after this issue occurred. I was thinking that this is an air cooled motor in the outset so it shouldn`t break down immediately because of this  ::)

CruisinEagle:

--- Quote from: Boatman on July 19, 2021, 08:04:14 PM ---I would replace the coolant temperature sensor when you replaced the pump as it goes in the clutch side radiator and you don’t want to take the lower apart again to replace it.
When you roll the throttle and the fans come on, take the water pump cover off and feel the pump to see if it’s running.
After you have ridden it see if both water pipes going up frame are hot.
The code set should be P1019.  Hold trip meter down while turning ignition on to get code.
ECM comes up first.  If code says Y.  Hold trip meter down and code will show.  Hold trip meter down again and clear code and ride and see if comes back.
But when it’s all said and done replace the water pump as stated previously.
Good luck.

--- End quote ---

Thank you Boatman for your detailed and helpful reply :) The water pump has definitely failed. I will replace it and the coolant temperature sensor at the same time. I have just checked with my dealer and these water pumps were out of stock in Europe so there will be some delay in getting it delivered.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version