Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Low Oil Pressures AFTER Repairs  (Read 1085 times)

Rebel1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Ultra Limited
Low Oil Pressures AFTER Repairs
« on: July 29, 2021, 08:45:10 PM »

My 2015 Ultra Limited CVO, 110 engine, started making a tapping noise at 49K.  The stock lifters were replaced at 26K because of a similar tapping noise.  Suspecting the lifters were shot, I took it to the dealer for lifter replacement under my ESP.  They found the lifters shot, the cams had worn thru the "hard surface", the oil pump had "scoring" and the cam bearings, inner and outer, were "rough".  All of the above were replace, including the cam plate and tensioners, under my ESP including replacing the "springs/washers" in the compensater.  When I took the bike in I explained that I was seeing lower oil pressure than I had seen in the past.  The bike has always shown 20-24 PSI when HOT at idle and 30-34 PSI going down the road at 75MPH when HOT!
Note!  This bike has ALWAYS been the quietest of any Harley engine I have ever owned or worked on.
After the "repairs" the bike is now showing only 12-14 PSI at HOT idle and 26-28 PSI at 75 mph when HOT!   I also hear MUCH more noise/lifter noise, than ever before.  It now reminds me of my Panheads, more than the quite 110 I've ridden for almost 50K.  The stealership says this is perfectly normal.
What do the knowledgeable people here think?  Should I run it and possibly/probably blow it up?
Thanks
Bob

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Low Oil Pressures AFTER Repairs
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 09:29:41 AM »

Think of the word "normal". It could mean that there are issue(s) with many if not all of them. Is that right and are you OK with that? It is hard to play the warranty game.
If the dealer didn't pull the oil pan and clean the whole system you are probably looking at a total rebuild and oil system flush before this engine will be right and reliable again. Metal travels right to the lifters and that is a dead end where the debris sits so that could be the source of the noise. The oil pressure does seem a little low to me at full pressure, assuming the gauge is accurate, they aren't always. The stock relief valve blows off at about 35# but cracks sooner, if I remember correctly.

You are playing the warranty game, pull an oil sample and send it to Blackstone. If the results are as I suspect they will be use the data to lean harder on the dealer or go elsewhere.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 01:48:57 PM by HD Street Performance »

Rebel1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 02:56:08 PM »

Thanks for the reply.
They do say that they removed rear wheel and pulled the oil pan and "blew out".  Don't say WHAT they blew out.  I have only ridden the bike approx. 50 miles since repairs. 
I talked to the service manager today and he is not concerned and says 10-15 psi when Hot and at idle is Normal.  I have not put a gauge on it but what could have changed in the dash readout, or the sensor, from when I took it in and now after repairs?
How many miles would be needed to get an accurate reading in an oil sample?
Bob

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 06:17:03 PM »

Sample the oil right now. Look at the drain plug for fuzz and run the oil through a white sock for verification if there is metal traveling. Any or all of your findings will give you a case for a full rebuild or new engine. Partial engine repairs in cases like yours don't have the best success rate, my opinion and bias.
All that said the idle oil pressure is OK. The hot pressure is a little low, I explained.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.