Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Comparison / '06 CVO Ultra vs 2018 GoldWing  (Read 1034 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
My Comparison / '06 CVO Ultra vs 2018 GoldWing
« on: November 20, 2021, 09:46:04 PM »

Having both bikes makes me feel blessed. 

I recently bought the 2018 GoldWing DCT, and last Thursday I finally got the CVO out of the shop.  It had been sitting at Metal Dragon for about a month waiting on parts.  Jim did a top end job with new pistons and jugs and re-freshed the heads. I also had Legends suspension installed in the front.

I'll start with the Harley.  It's still fun to ride.  Even though I was taking it easy to seat the rings, I had a fun time riding it today.  Torque right where I needed it and WHAT A DIFFERENCE the Legends made up front.  The previous owner installed lower Progressive 440s about 90K miles ago so it was time.  Jim installed all new fork seals and I had the front end returned to stock height.  They make a great combination with my Ohlins out back.  For the last couple of years I had been riding with stock height in the rear, and lowered 440s up front.  The bike was always pointed down hill so to speak.  With the bike now level the kick stand comes right up without much lean.

Pros - Harley.  I'm loving the floorboards and seating position. Lots of room to move my feet about and stretch out, especially with the highway pegs.  The handlebars (HD Pullbacks) put my wrists at a comfortable angle.  And I'm loving the space in the bags and King Tourpack.  I love having pouches on the windshield and lower doors for all my stuff.  I have to admit I love the sound that 2-1 SuperTrapp SuperMeg makes, especially when I crack the throttle.

Cons - Harley.  Even with lowers on the crash bars and a recurve windshield I still get a lot of wind. The bike feels top heavy, and for that alone I am thankful I have a clutch to slip at slow speed.  The brakes are non ABS. The Twin Cam is air cooled so sitting in traffic I  felt the heat, especially with the Love Jugg fans blowing hot air onto my right leg.  It takes 91 premium or higher. I dislike that I have to use a "Cuff" or doughnut when refueling to lower the risk of splash back or spillage when using the California pumps with the condoms over the nozzle.

Honda Pros.  Such a fun bike to ride.  It's like a sport bike.  I'm still learning all the buttons and what they do.  I really like the water cooled engine.  Even in the Las Vegas heat a couple of weeks ago the bike ran fine.  No "Limp Mode" kicked in.  The windshield is motorized, it goes up and down.  However the aerodynamics are so good, I rode it all the way to LA in the lower position.  In fact overall wind protection is outstanding, however the previous owner installed all kinds of vents and wind deflectors so I'm sure that helps too.  The  brakes are phenomenal!  Race bike quality brakes with ABS.  The shaft drive is smooth and it has traction control. And it has the Dual Clutch Transmission.  It's an automatic with no clutch.  Not an easy adaptation for a rider like me.  The bike comes with four riding modes: Tour mode which is the default, Econ, Rain and Sport.  I ride mostly in Tour, Rain is good for slow cone work.  Sport mode,...you better hold on Cowboy. The suspension firms up, the power band rises and the transmission shifts faster.  I do believe it will run with the BMW1600. You can also use paddle shifters if you wish to manually shift up and down. The gas tank is actually under the seat.  This lowers the center of gravity and the bike behaves very well at slow speed, even without a clutch to slip.  It has an airbag.  If you have any questions as to why, just go to YouTube and search for GoldWing airbag videos. I like that it takes regular 87 gas.  No cuff needed for the nozzle, and I haven't spilled yet.  It has reverse. I like that I am not motivated to do lifters, cams, heads, dyno tune, suspension, compensator upgrade or change out the stator.

Honda Cons.  Right off the top, lack of storage.  I'm now looking to buy a pull behind trailer for when Denise and I hit the road.  It's enough storage for a day ride, or overnight weekends but not much else.  And the downside to having the air bag is that it takes up a storage compartment that the non airbag bikes have. No decent helmet locks.  They have a helmet lock system that sits under the seat, but it's a pain to deal with.  On Johns 2008 GoldWing he has helmet locks under the tour pack.  I had to buy a set of Lidloxs to convert the bar ends so the helmets can be locked and hung there.  The handle bars put my wrists at a position I have to get used to, or change out the risers.  Foot pegs.  They are great in the twisties as I can easily come off the saddle or slide around.  But for long distance, there is not enough space to move around.  The previous owner installed mini highway boards and I'm glad he did.  I can't imagine riding to Yellowstone with my feet in one position. The seat could use an upgrade, even for my skinny and boney butt.  As for the sound,....well it sounds like a Honda.

Summation.  Both are excellent in what they do. The Ultra is timeless (some may say well aged) and the Honda is all new.  My whole reason for getting the GoldWing is dependability.  Metal Dragon does excellent work, but on my last few tours it was the "little things" that left me stranded.  Just aged wear and tear stuff like stripped out shifter linkage and a failed horn isolator that dropped my Love Juggs and horn onto the freeway.  Blowing fuses due to vibration on aged wires.  I'm keeping the CVO because,...well it's a CVO.  And one of the last CVOs to actually be built back when HD had a CVO specific assembly line in Pennsylvania.  The CVO is perfect for day rides and overnighters and weekends. If I want to do cone work, I'm picking the Ultra. But for riding to Yellowstone, Glacier or really long distances, that's where the GoldWing comes in.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 09:54:43 PM by Ironhorse »
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: My Comparison / '06 CVO Ultra vs 2018 GoldWing
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 10:12:18 AM »

A great review Mark.

Sounds like it's time for a later model CVO...something with the hammock seat and ABS brakes at least.   :P

On the serious side, my 2013 CVO Ultra Classic has proven to be the most reliable motorcycle that I've ever owned....even after pulling that Bushtec all over the nation.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 03:56:06 PM »

I had a '13 CVO Limited and traded it for a '18 Honda Goldwing DCT. Biggest mistake I ever made in buying motorcycles. IMO. Other than a great engine and reverse it didn't have anything over the CVO. For me I didn't like the seat, hard as nails and could only ride it for an hour, didn't like the riding position compared to the CVO, put on footpegs but really not comparable to the comfort of the CVO Limited. I was so glad to get rid of that bike and buy another CVO, I will never go back.
JMHO to each his own..

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 06:44:21 PM »

Two bikes are 12 years apart. Maybe need to try a newer HD with the ABS, 6 spd and the Wonderful Hammock Seat. I thought I was interested in a GW around '17, until I rode one. To each his own but my legs and butt couldn't sit that still for very long and did not like the auto shift, regardless of mode.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 07:57:15 PM »

A good read on the comparison... Thanks. Let me join the bandwagon and say my 13' has never let me down. Also easy to work on. It pains me to hear about the HD scoots letting people down, that sucks.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 10:34:24 PM »

It pains me to hear about the HD scoots letting people down, that sucks.

I hear what you're saying.  My '06 has over 100,000 miles on it, I guess some issues due to age and wear and tear are to be expected.  As I stated earlier, while my issues have not been catastrophic, they never come at a convenient time.  I guess I could have bought another Harley (I even thought about a Dyna), but decided on the GoldWing as I wanted something different.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 06:39:54 AM »

It would have been more evenly balanced if the comparison were a 2018 CVO Ultra Classic vs. the 2018 GW.  Not a very level playing field.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 07:38:00 AM »

It would have been more evenly balanced if the comparison were a 2018 CVO Ultra Classic vs. the 2018 GW.  Not a very level playing field.

Fist thing I thought of when reading this comparison. 15 year old bike with considerable wear vs a 3 year old bike.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 09:18:29 AM »

Fist thing I thought of when reading this comparison. 15 year old bike with considerable wear vs a 3 year old bike.

Agreed 100%.  However I didn't want a newer CVO.  While I know we only hear from the problematic ones, the reporting of major engine issues and the MoCo denying warranty claims is a major reason I shied away.  For all of those who have newer bikes and 50K or more miles on them with nothing but gas, tires and oil I think that's great. You have found a good one.  But the idea of changing out lifters every third oil change, or changing out cam bearings "as a precaution" was not what I wanted to get into.  The reason I bought the '06 was that it was the last of the dependable 103s and still used throttle by cable.  Right now at Metal Dragon there's a newer CVO Ultra sitting there with a grenaded engine. The owner is frustrated and heart broken and looking to "just get it running good enough to sell or trade". That I can understand. I don't want that.

I love my '06 CVO Ultra, it still puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.  Last Sunday I rode through the Santa Cruz mountains for lunch at Alice's Restaurant.  It was a great and fun ride.  I could have bought another HD, and almost bought a Dyna.  But in the end I didn't.  Some folks on this site have bought BMWs or Indians.  I bought a Honda. 

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.