Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: 17 Shady Reasons Why Harley-Davidson Motorcycles Are Struggling  (Read 13925 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
17 Shady Reasons Why Harley-Davidson Motorcycles Are Struggling
« on: December 29, 2021, 04:05:13 PM »

I would really like to disagree with some of this but can't. Let's hope 2022 is a good year for the motor company.

17 Shady Reasons Why Harley-Davidson Motorcycles Are Struggling

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: 17 Shady Reasons Why Harley-Davidson Motorcycles Are Struggling
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 06:07:07 PM »

Somewhat repetitive, but HDs problems are also somewhat repetitive.  Agree with most of the points made here.

Unfortunately, nobody with the ability to do so seems to have a clue how to turn it around or change things for the better.  I remain hopeful that the MoCo remains intact, but it seems ripe for a buyout & destined to be more of a marketing logo at some future point more than a manufacturer of American iron.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

mark

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 08:10:57 PM »

Maybe the soup and cereal bar executive the MoCo hired/fired could come back to save the company…
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 06:00:55 PM by Mark »

Phaedrus

• Totally tubular!
  • Junior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2009 XR1200 (modified)
    • CVO3: 2003 FLSTFI (modified)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 08:19:54 PM »

Hard to get too worked up, considering how many times over the past almost 120 years, people have said HD is done.  And yet....

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 08:29:02 PM »

HD will survive, it always has. 

The MoCo needs to address issues of putting riders ahead of profits. While one has to admire the capitalist attitude of making money regardless of the cost (think Ford with the exploding Pinto) HD needs to step up their quality.  I know there are dozens on this site who have never had a lick of problems with their bikes, however we seem to hear more from those who do.  It shouldn't be that way.

But HD does have one Ace up their sleeve, the undying loyalty of their base.  Buy a 110 and it grenades, go out and buy another.  Watch that one grenade, go out and buy another.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

hogsty

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 10:47:04 PM »

The idea that any company would care less about profits and more about their customers is ridiculous. They are in business to make money.  CEOs have to answer to the shareholders, who care only about making money. 

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 10:54:03 PM »

Hard to get too worked up, considering how many times over the past almost 120 years, people have said HD is done.  And yet....
....if they do go under......my '20 will get along just fine using the aftermarket exclusively, seeing as how I seem to be moving that way now.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 11:15:44 PM »

The idea that any company would care less about profits and more about their customers is ridiculous. They are in business to make money.  CEOs have to answer to the shareholders, who care only about making money.

But it is possible to make money and build a good product, lots of manufacturers do. Honda, Toyota, Nissan all make good dependable products. And they make money for their shareholders. So is it unreasonable to ask the same of HD?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 05:17:47 PM »

HD will survive, it always has. 

The MoCo needs to address issues of putting riders ahead of profits. While one has to admire the capitalist attitude of making money regardless of the cost (think Ford with the exploding Pinto) HD needs to step up their quality.  I know there are dozens on this site who have never had a lick of problems with their bikes, however we seem to hear more from those who do.  It shouldn't be that way.

But HD does have one Ace up their sleeve, the undying loyalty of their base.  Buy a 110 and it grenades, go out and buy another.  Watch that one grenade, go out and buy another.

Loyalty dies if it's taken advantage of too often..... Or if your lifters implode on one to many vacation trips  :soapbox:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 07:08:05 PM »

Loyalty dies if it's taken advantage of too often..... Or if your lifters implode on one to many vacation trips  :soapbox:

And yet members here have taken to swapping out lifters every 2nd oil change as the answer. Is that really the answer?  Would we accept this with our cars and trucks?  No. But somehow it’s what we do when we buy an HD. And as long as we keep accepting their screw up and finding our own workaround HD will continue to sell us lemons.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 07:54:57 PM »

I’ve always said if they warrantied their bikes for 3 or 4 years they would go out of business on warranty claims.  Sad we are there testers and pay the bills to boot on our dime.  I’ll never spend $40k on one of their bikes again.  There used to be so much excitement on the new model year change and now no one even notices.   :soapbox:

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 12:52:19 AM »

And yet members here have taken to swapping out lifters every 2nd oil change as the answer. Is that really the answer?  Would we accept this with our cars and trucks?  No. But somehow it’s what we do when we buy an HD. And as long as we keep accepting their screw up and finding our own workaround HD will continue to sell us lemons.
We must all like lemonade pretty well!!
Most great stores start with a bad decision

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 12:17:57 PM »

Same was said about many car Manufacture, like Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Mercury and so on.

I do not think HD will go away, but they will continue to have less and less sales.  Yes there are younger people in late 20's and early 30's being the, but not near enough to replace the HD loyalists that are dying or giving up riding.

The Harley touring line is the Most expensive motorcycle out there, yet the others have a much more modern frame design, suspension design, better power, better handling, Ride modes, and the list goes on.  Only categories Harley wins in are Looks and options for customization. 

Hopefully, Harley does more with the Pan America motor.  That bike is a step in to a new market, and is very advanced.  ADV bike of the year, here in USA and in Japan and a few other countries.

Harley really needs to update the touring line bad. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 12:49:12 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:  18th Reason, not so shady.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 03:42:41 PM »

And they will, they always have. 

But HD is stuck with "tradition".  By that I mean to appease their aging loyalists, the new bikes need to appear the same as previous years, minus a few tweaks like a mail slot in the fairing and different shaped tour pack.  To the untrained eye, a 2021 ElectraGlide looks almost like a 1977 ElectraGlide, and therein lies the tradition.  Now HD has done excellent over the years with adding fuel injection, ABS, and water cooling, all modern updated stuff. 

Where HD fails is in price and dependability.  No one wants to spend $45,000 on a bike that needs to have the lifters swapped out every other oil change.  No one wants to buy a touring bike that will break a compensator in the middle of Yellowstone National Park.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.