Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HELP!!! This one has me baffled  (Read 1858 times)

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
HELP!!! This one has me baffled
« on: August 14, 2022, 05:10:59 PM »

04 SEEG: did a 1400 mile trip in early June, ran through some serious rain no issues.  Came home rode a few times, no issues.  3 weeks ago finally washed the bike (water hose, low pressure) like usual blew it dry with my blower.  Here’s the issue now: the radio will not turn off with the switch and the accessories stays on but will go off with some wiggling of the switch.  Turned the radio off on the unit, pulled the amp fuse but the bike is still pulling power.  Had to pull the Maxi Fuse to get it to stop draining the battery.

Thought I may have gotten water somewhere so I let it dry for a few weeks, took it for a ride yesterday but the issue persists.  Took the outer  fairing off and nothing seemed amiss, no raw wires nothing happened when I wiggled the wires, unplugged all the connections, no water in them.

Does it sound like a ignition issue?

Dinger1990

• Junior CVO Member
    • SK

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
Re: HELP!!! This one has me baffled
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 08:58:20 AM »

It maybe as simple as having to push down on the switch while turning it off to disconnect the ignition. I have to do that with mine due to wear and tear over the years.
Good luck.  :jalapeno:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 11:20:55 AM »

Don't forget that there is power to the radio even when the switch is off.  Both through the main radio harness and through the accessory overlay harness that exists on the SEEG.  I've seen a radio have internal issues that would keep it in various ways more live than it should be even when the ignition switch was off.

That would not account for other accessories staying on though (if that's what you were describing -- I wasn't 100% sure).  If that's what's going on you've got the range of potential problems from switch issues to wire chafes and contact.  Unless something is obvious and if it can't be directly diagnosed my troubleshooting mantra is always: easiest and/or cheapest thing to try first.

That being so with what you're describing I'd pull connectors and look for water intrusion (or signs thereof), corrosion, etc.  And when I say connectors I mean connectors everywhere.  ECM, ignition switch, etc.  While doing all that I'd spray electrical contact cleaner in the handlebar switches, ignition switch, anything else, blow it all out, rattle/feel test the switches, have an ohm meter handy.  All the basic maintenance stuff.  Be very methodical about it.  Do a thing, one thing, check to see if can reproduce problem, then move on.

Fortunately none of that really costs anything. It can take some time.  But eventually you'll track it down.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 11:53:32 AM »

Thank you guys for the suggestions.  Twolane, I have a GPS wired through the accessory switch on the acc toggle on inner fairing cap (if that’s what it’s called). And that is the other accessory that stays on but doesn’t stay on every time as I can turn the switch back and forth and get it to turn off.  The radio is different, it will not shut off no matter what I’ve tried.  Pulling the radio power fuse in the fuse box doesn’t turn it off but when I pull the radio memory fuse it will turn off.  I haven’t looked at the ecm but will today. Electrical gremlins are the worst!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 04:11:38 PM »

Thank you guys for the suggestions.  Twolane, I have a GPS wired through the accessory switch on the acc toggle on inner fairing cap (if that’s what it’s called). And that is the other accessory that stays on but doesn’t stay on every time as I can turn the switch back and forth and get it to turn off.  The radio is different, it will not shut off no matter what I’ve tried.  Pulling the radio power fuse in the fuse box doesn’t turn it off but when I pull the radio memory fuse it will turn off.  I haven’t looked at the ecm but will today. Electrical gremlins are the worst!!

You always like to hope for single solutions and combined problems at the same time are rare; but.....   well.... don't discount the possibility.  There is power to the radio even when all the switches are off.  I've seen radio failures that kept things on in the radio.  Though if that were the problem the strong probability is that it would be isolated to the radio itself.

Just for some step in the troubleshooting I might unhook first the overlay connector to the radio (that's the connector on the right side of the radio as you are facing the radio's ass end or the left side of the bike) and see if anything changes.  If it does would then trace back along that overlay harness to where it eventually ends up at the fuse panel and ties in to accessory circuits.  If that made no difference would then unhook the other harness from the radio and see if there was any difference anywhere.  From there it's just a continuation of troubleshooting.  I'd still open the handlebar switch caps and spray the crap out of the switches with electrical contact cleaner and, even more specifically, do the same and play close attention to the ignition switch.  Then its just working downhill checking and cleaning and paying attention everywhere.

Good luck getting it sorted. 

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 09:18:40 AM »

Definitely not the switch, unplugged it and the radio stayed on.  ECM plugs were clean and dry.  More troubleshooting on the docket for this afternoon.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 06:58:09 AM »

UPDATE: the aftermarket headunit is the culprit.  My brother came over and we hooked up a spare headunit he had and everything worked as it should.  New headunit on the way, should have it buttoned up and back on the road this weekend.  Although I’m glad we were able to find the problem and really glad it wasn’t a short somewhere in the wiring, I hate to replace that headunit because I really liked it and they don’t make it anymore.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 06:59:40 AM by SIKBIRD »

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.