Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 03 Serk Footboard Vibration 50-70mph Bike has 750 miles on it?  (Read 5916 times)

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF

Just picked up a 03 Serk with 740 miles on it and today I took its first ride on the expressway. It seems like the floorboards started vibrating about 50mph up to about 70mph.

What would cause this? It was windy out and I was thinking that it was perhaps the wheels but again the bike was handeling ok.

The bike does have the front and rear lowered suspension if that helps.

I doubt that the front motor mount could be at fault due to the mileage as well as the original owner was up in years.

The vibration was bad enough to vibrate my feet untill they started to get numb and I even had cushoned walking shoes on?

What gives?

TIA,

John
JR

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

Re: 03 Serk Footboard Vibration 50-70mph Bike has 750 miles on it?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 02:41:58 PM »

Have You checked the pressure in the tyres ?

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 04:27:35 PM »

Have You checked the pressure in the tyres ?

Jacques
Yup 40r 36F, I just got back from another speed run but this time I took a different expressway. The vibration is now less so I suspect that the roadway is to blame as it was not even close to how bad it was before. Phew, so thetr is no major issue

Well exept one! Boy does that stock seat suck! I even had a Butt Buffer installed with only marginal results..

Thanks,
John
JR

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 03:40:47 PM »

Does your scoot, still have stock exhaust or aftermarket exhaust?  :nixweiss:

If aftermarket I am thinking maybe your headpipe might be rubbing just a slight bit....just a thought

jeffj

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »

Does your scoot, still have stock exhaust or aftermarket exhaust?  :nixweiss:

If aftermarket I am thinking maybe your headpipe might be rubbing just a slight bit....just a thought

jeffj
Reinheart True Duals, I just detailed the bike (good way to look over everything) and I saw no rubbing.

What I did find was that there were never any wheel weights mounted on the wheels. I know that for a fact due to the mileage. That may very weel be the problem.
John
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 03:44:44 PM by JjR »
JR

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »

Reinheart True Duals, I just detailed the bike (good way to look over everything) and I saw no rubbing.

What I did find was that there were never any wheel weights mounted on the wheels. I know that for a fact due to the mileage. That may very weel be the problem.
John

You may want to check the Reinhardt headpipe and make sure it's not slightly rubbing the brake pedal to cause the floorboard vibration
Lots Some of the Reinhardt owners have experienced similar vibrations over the past few years, very tight fit

Take your scoot out for a ride and see if the rear brake pedal vibrates....Just a thought  :nixweiss:

Not all tires need to have wheel weights if the tire and wheel were match mounted...key words "not all"

jeffj

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 06:00:36 PM »

You may want to check the Reinhardt headpipe and make sure it's not slightly rubbing the brake pedal to cause the floorboard vibration
Lots Some of the Reinhardt owners have experienced similar vibrations over the past few years, very tight fit

Take your scoot out for a ride and see if the rear brake pedal vibrates....Just a thought  :nixweiss:

Not all tires need to have wheel weights if the tire and wheel were match mounted...key words "not all"

jeffj
Jeff,
The brake pedal is no where near the head pipe , the the closest point I would say its 3/4" away.  EVen it was touching I imagine the it would not cause both boards to vibrate. I believe perhaps you thinking of a different year RK?

As mentioned different type of roadways cause it, it not always constant  and never at a exact speed. I wondering if crosswind on those solid wheels would cause it.

It may be the the road surface or lack of wheel weights or both of the above. The tires are OEM LN new with now 950 miles on them from the showroom back in 03.

JR

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 06:05:04 PM »

I wonder if with the limited miles and tires almost being 4 - 5 years old could they have developed a flat spot from sitting? :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 06:55:42 PM »

All great responses. Take the primary inspection cover off and see how loose your primary chain is.  Most need adjusted by the 1,000 mile mark.

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 09:18:24 PM »

I wonder if with the limited miles and tires almost being 4 - 5 years old could they have developed a flat spot from sitting? :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Had the bike up on the lift and did not see anything that would look like a flat spot. Also if that was a issue I suspect that the problem would be all the time, not just at certain times on differenty paved roadways. The bike rides great up to about 50mph and usually higher than that but as I'm on different types of pavements some seem to cause it more then others.
JR

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 09:25:46 PM »

All great responses. Take the primary inspection cover off and see how loose your primary chain is.  Most need adjusted by the 1,000 mile mark.

The bike will be going for the 1k service this week so it will be looked at, but if that was the case would not the chain be making a racket.

One thin I did notice on the 600mi receipt when the bike was lowered front and back, true duals, stage 1 and PCII were installed also the front tire was replaced. Perhaps it was replaced as a fix to a already existing problem.

The thing is that I see no charge for balancing. Also as I mentioned neither wheel has even had balance weights on them, that I know for sure.

As a rul of thumb arn't all wheels balanced at the factory? I have yet to see a perfect wheel, perhaps they were on the 03 SERK? Or would it have somthing to du with the wheel being solid?

Thanks,
John
JR

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 09:33:33 PM »

As a rul of thumb arn't all wheels balanced at the factory? I have yet to see a perfect wheel, perhaps they were on the 03 SERK? Or would it have somthing to du with the wheel being solid?

Thanks,
John
Neither one of my wheels/tires came from the factory with weights on them. I have since replaced the back tire and weights were used when replacing tire. I don't know how this is done, but I think someone mentioned in another post about them matching tire w/wheel so weights aren't used. That would seem like a lot of extra effort to find that perfect match, but I guess it's possible. I also know from driving a bus that you can insert a liquid type balancing agent in tires that is supposed to go to spots that are needed and balance the tires, but I wouldn't think the MoCo would do that either. I don't know how it's done, but I know mines didn't have weights and I didn't have any problems w/them. When the rear was replaced it didn't show any signs of uneven wear that is normally noticed if a tire isn't running true or balanced.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 09:40:19 PM by Fired00d »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 09:42:08 PM »

Neither one of my wheels/tires came from the factory with weights on them. I have since replaced the back tire and weights were used when replacing tire. I don't know how this is done, but I think someone mentioned in another post about them matching tire w/wheel so weights aren't used. That would seem like a lot of extra effort to find that perfect match, but I guess it's possible. I also know from driving a bus that you can insert a liquid type balancing agent in tires that is supposed to go to spots that are need and balance the tires, but I wouldn't think the MoCo would do that either. I don't know how it's done, but I know mines didn't have weights and I didn't have any problems w/them. When the rear was replaced it didn't show any signs of uneven wear that is normally noticed if a tire isn't running true or balanced.

You know what I'm thinking is that perhaps that there is no problem and its just the different compositions of what the road was made out if, but I do not know?

The other is that I have never had any vibration in the handlebars or wobble.

Matching a tire to a wheel, now I have heard it all , as every tire had a different weight. I have seen a shop mount a new rear tire on one of my jap bikes years ago and not rebalance it. They told me that the rear tire was not that important balance wise, the tire rode fine but after hearing a answer like that I never went back to them.

JOhn
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
JR

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 10:40:02 PM »

Actually, the method used to mount and balance tires at the factory is very similar to that used in auto plants.  Tires come from the supplier with a mark or label on the sidewall indicating the light spot.  This mark is aligned with the valve stem (heavy spot) on the wheel during mounting.  This matching of tire light spot to wheel heavy spot is called indexing, and it minimizes the amount of weight required for final balance.  I have seen many tire and wheel assemblies over the years that did not require weights to achieve acceptable balance, but it is just a random "luck of the draw" type of occurrence.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 10:55:54 PM »

Actually, the method used to mount and balance tires at the factory is very similar to that used in auto plants.  Tires come from the supplier with a mark or label on the sidewall indicating the light spot.  This mark is aligned with the valve stem (heavy spot) on the wheel during mounting.  This matching of tire light spot to wheel heavy spot is called indexing, and it minimizes the amount of weight required for final balance.  I have seen many tire and wheel assemblies over the years that did not require weights to achieve acceptable balance, but it is just a random "luck of the draw" type of occurrence.

Jerry

You know what when I bring it in for the 1k service, perhaps I will not say nothing and see if the tech picks it up when he does the test drive?  I really have to ride the bike more as perhaps all it is is the roadway surface.

Again the only other thing would be the wheels balance.
JR
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.