Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Electric Deer Whistle / Kuryakn  (Read 5730 times)

eddieboy

• write on!
Electric Deer Whistle / Kuryakn
« on: July 19, 2004, 07:15:25 PM »

Anybody have any opinions out there, if this electrically-driven device works?
eddieboy

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Electric Deer Whistle / Kuryakn
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 10:35:34 PM »

somebody's gonna have to got out in the woods and interview some deer, and see if these deer whistle's work............he he he [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 12:06:56 PM »

i read an article in some magazine about this whisle and its suppose to be very effective& the only dc powered devise like it. if you ride where the deer & the antelope roam then you might want to test this product out & lets us know how good it is   good luck<a href="http://" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://</a> [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 11:31:42 AM »

Anybody have any opinions out there, if this electrically-driven device works?

I have not personally met a deer with a vehicle under my control, but I know of many instances where others have. Those that believe in whistles say they save your life and have them on all their vehicles. My Dad sent us four a few years ago, and I am not saying I don't believe in them, but none of them have made it on a vehicle. A quick search of the web provides some interesting opinions;

Motorcycle Consumer News says; bad news is that MCN actually tested those deer whistle thingies and they proved useless. Deer oil, as it were. About the only thing you can do is slow down, stay aware and say your prayers regularly.

Oh Dear!- http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/deerohdeer.htm By David L. Hough
DEER ACCIDENTS ARE ON THE RISE (They sell them, so of course they like them) - http://www.safehomeproducts.com/SHP/SM/Hornet_Deer_Repeller.asp#V120
Deer Whistles, They Don't Work! - by BMW Riders (What they say about above advertised whistles) - http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/deerw.html

I know that one member of a former HOG chapter who spent more than a year mending him and his ride after an encounter with a deer, has the electronic HD deer whistle and he says that he has never even seen a deer since.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 12:19:13 PM by Mrs._WeCVO »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 12:19:17 PM »

Now, since my bike encountered a wild turkey when getting it home

Encountered?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 12:20:43 PM by twolanerider »

mfgreen

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 12:34:29 PM »

Encountered?  Mrs. We, darling, dear friend....   Encountered is what you do to a stranger or a cute guy/girl passing on the street.  From what I remember Mr. We writing the red bike didn't so much encounter a turkey as crash in to that little gobbler in an act of persecuting poultry predation, leaving all sorts of intestinal residue on the new bike and that bird's little dangling neck thingy flying off one direction while the rest of it flew off in some entirely different direction and then leaving the remains behind for Turkey Hash for anyone living nearby that might be so inclined.  If it was an "encounter" it was a Close Encounter of the Giblet Kind  [smiley=chef.gif]

Larue Hart, who has the longest membership in the Memphis Motorcycle Club and has been president several times. This picture was probably taken at one of the many Turkey Runs he has hosted over the years. His events are somewhat famous for being impossible to finish and having water hazards, beaver dams, and live animals. He once staged a turkey run that involved actually catching a live turkey while mounted on a motorcycle!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 12:35:44 PM by mfgreen »

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&amp;b
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 08:27:58 PM »

Look back on this same "other topics" and find a topic I started called "More About Those Deer".  I wrote about these whistles in there.  I was involved in a study of their effectiveness with a consortium of police departments using the whistles on their squads.  In short they were not effective.  In some cases the squads with them on actually had more deer accidents!

The reason is that, although deer can hear the whistles, they don't know what the whistle is.  They do not know that is attached to a vehicle and do not associate the noise with danger or anything else.  In most cases they will freeze when they hear the noise and try to find its sourse.  If they freeze on the side of the road and you go sailing by, that's good.  If they freeze in the middle of the road in front of you, that's not so good.

Electric powered, wind powered, nuclear powered.  The deer still don't know what is making that noise they hear so they don't automatically respond to it in any predictable way.
'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 08:46:25 PM »

I have long pondered the "to whistle or not" question.  Last summer, as I rounded an off ramp I observed a large buck centered in my lane.  As a motorcycle cop of many years one would think I'd have at least a few solutions to this dilemma.  I did not.  And I had not installed a whistler yet.  I pulled in the clutch and let my vance and hines (minus the baffles) sing.  He ran off like $hit thru a goose.  I'm still gonna buy those whistlers someday... just got lucky so far.  [smiley=drink.gif]

mfgreen

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 08:48:59 PM »

I have long pondered the "to whistle or not" question.

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 08:50:25 PM »

Glock of course  [smiley=drink.gif]

mfgreen

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 08:52:08 PM »

Glock of course

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 08:53:45 PM »

13+1  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 09:01:48 PM »

Sig 229 in .357Sig

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 11:10:39 PM »

Glock 23 in .40SW  [smiley=drink.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 10:04:27 PM »

I ran the Kuryakn Deer whistle on my '94 FLSTN for 97,000 miles. Actually two, as the 1st one stopped working and I replaced it.  They have to be mounted at the correct angle as per the included instructions to work properly.  We have a lot of deer jumping across the back roads down here in the southeast  and need all the help we can get.  I lost a long-time riding buddy who hit a deer in the afternoon on the way home while riding alone.  It is a common occurance for autos to crash into deer in these southern states.  The obvious difference for us on two wheels is the same as in any crash.....much worse.  I haven't installed one on my '04 SEEG yet (22,000 mi) but really should, I guess.  I don't know if they work or not....'cause I'm not sure how you would ever know.  The deer ain't talking!  
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.