Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD commercial: How bad have you been?  (Read 1740 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: HD commercial: How bad have you been?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 11:43:32 AM »

Saw it the other night on the History Channel. If things keep up the way they are now, the History Channel is where we'll be watching all the programs about Harley.

:indian_chief:

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 12:03:21 PM »

Saw it the other night on the History Channel. If things keep up the way they are now, the History Channel is where we'll be watching all the programs about Harley.

You must have stock in HD too!  :(

Wish I had sold mine this time last year when it was $30 a share higher!  :nixweiss:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 01:02:57 PM »

I bought mine before it split twice and doubled again in price.  Could have paid for the latest bike if I'd sold it near the peak.  But then I wouldn't get that annual report that looks like it costs more than the R&D they put into the latest bike.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 01:19:33 PM »

I bought mine before it split twice and doubled again in price.  Could have paid for the latest bike if I'd sold it near the peak.  But then I wouldn't get that annual report that looks like it costs more than the R&D they put into the latest bike.

Yep, what a story this stock has been. Looking forward to seeing what blah-blah they say in the annual report.
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 01:23:18 PM »

The commercial is a fun looking visual.  They're obviously marketing to the unwashed though.  The folks that itch for the image but don't care (yet) about riding the road.  Looking from the perspective of the bikes it's a commerical showing bikes chained together on rails that can't even stand up or go down the road on their own :nixweiss: .

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 02:36:13 PM »

I remember we were saying similar things back before they came out with the Evo motor.  Back then, I really believed we might see them go under.  I don't think they're going to be going anywhere for awhile.

But, on a side note........I did sell all my HD stock a little while back.  I needed the money more than they did. :)
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 03:17:02 PM »

I remember we were saying similar things back before they came out with the Evo motor.  Back then, I really believed we might see them go under.  I don't think they're going to be going anywhere for awhile.

But, on a side note........I did sell all my HD stock a little while back.  I needed the money more than they did. :)

:D :D :D ;)  Good one JCZ. 

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 03:42:18 PM »

Better watch out!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 03:48:35 PM »

Remember some months ago a conversation here with Roger and others considering who is becoming the new market segment for HD bikes.  Future riders aren't like most of us who do HD almost despite the company sometimes.  And certainly it seems all too often to spite ourselves.

The most current generation and those that follow have grown up with all the data available to comparison shop before they ever leave the house.  Their tastes are quite simply different as well.  They may be intersted in an image.  They may even interested or amused by the "Harley image."  But it's not the foremost concern.  It really does seem that something is going to actually have to be a good, modern and reliable machine first before the image can come to play.

In response to that change in its client base Harley continues, at least in this ad, to market image.  So....  we know they're a bit "slow" at times.  Guess it shouldn't surprise that this manifests across more than one area.

Sad thing is it wouldn't be that difficult to begin cross the bridge more aggressively if there was the product to support the claims.  They could combine image and reliability, feeling and fact, emotion and modernity's reliability. 

If there was currently the product and network to back it up something as simple as two still images side by side.  On the left a bike setting on an open road.  Some beautiful vista evoking the emotion the most of us recognize immediately.  The other half of the frame put a Kevlar jacket with a slug's dent prominently seen.  Two words across the top of the image "Twin Cam."  Two words across the bottom "Bullet Proof."

Something that simple gets a message across that says far more than "hey stupid, if you like feeling like you're a bad boy come give us $20k."  Advertising that only says that much, while cute or even amusing, is also a little insulting.  I don't think that works with the new crop.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 03:54:24 PM »

Bullet Proof, only works if it is, and it isn't.

Also,  I don't know many of my friends who want that dirty, smelly ugly rider image either.  The image of the wide open vistas, now that one I like, I buy and actually even subscibe to, as often as possible.  Thanks for the mental image. 

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 12:17:04 PM »

It's entertaining , but a little out of touch with the real demographic of the owners these days.
As much as HD wants to market the bad ass biker image , the average age and income of the owner these days just doesn't meet that.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 22 queries.