CVO Technical > Twin Cam

01 fltri cam chain tensioners

(1/3) > >>

donutsrd:
bike was in 4 40k service so i had the mech check the cam chains&tensioners just 4 peace of mind.it seems that runnin amsoil after break in and syn3 since its "approval" has paid off.tensioners show very little wear and the mech asked if i had swapped my cams recently.i said no why whats wronghe said nothin its just that they look new.
 just thought id share this with you after reading about some real nightmares.maybe now ill stop waitng 4 it to blow up.ha ha

DavidB:

--- Quote ---bike was in 4 40k service so i had the mech check the cam chains&tensioners just 4 peace of mind.it seems that runnin amsoil after break in and syn3 since its "approval" has paid off.tensioners show very little wear and the mech asked if i had swapped my cams recently.i said no why whats wronghe said nothin its just that they look new.

--- End quote ---

mackcr:
Below is the link to pictures of the tensioners that came off my SERK. The one on the right was on the outside and showed some wear. It was the shoe on the inside of the cam plate, shown on the left, that was the problem.

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=eg_gen;action=display;num=1110595812;start=45

At first glance when the cam cover was pulled off everything looked normal. I am not sure if you can see the inside tensioner without pulling the cam plate. Make sure your mechanic checked it.

donutsrd:
mech said checked both inner&outer both looked fine,hope he did i sure pais 4 it!

Willie D:

--- Quote ---
You need to know if he checked the tensioner on the inside chain. The outer one will look great and the inner one thats hard to get to will be crapped out.
Just passing on what I have seen.
Dave
--- End quote ---

Right on Dave, I had checked mine at 50K, and then got a bit nervous after seeing a set out of a buddies 2000 TC-88...at 40K, I decided to get it done, man am I glad. I will post some pics as soon as I get them loaded, and can figure out the method. The rear one was down to the side plate holder, NO damage to the chain, Luckily.

Willie D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version