CVO Technical > Twin Cam

oil use

(1/2) > >>

BAKRDS:
Spent 2 months in Las vegas this winter. First place I've been where you can set the cruse at 90 for an hour at a time .I heard it wouldn't work over 85 but mine held 90 just fine. Anyway, after about 1500 miles ( not all at 90 ) I was down a quart of oil. Had never used a drop in the preveious 8500 miles at more sane east coast speeds. Was wondering if this is common. What's your experience with your 103 s ?

TB:
I go thru a quart every 2K or so.  Pretty common for the 103's.

mackcr:
Except for the brief time my oil pump was damaged I have never had to add oil between oil changes and I am at 36,000 miles on my SERK now. If you are going through that much oil take it back to the dealer and have them find the problem.

spydglide:
My personal experience and that of my riding friends w/ twin cams is that when you run 'em hard, they use up the oil, esp. the synthetic.  Seems as if you try to keep it up to the full mark, you're fighting a losing battle.  It seems to find a 'level' where it doesn't seem to go away as fast, though.  Normal speed limit riding doesn't seem to make it disappear. [smiley=confused.gif]

BAKRDS:
Thanks for the replys. Just serviced it today & haven't used any oil in the 1500 miles I've riden since I got home. Must be linked to the right wrist. Switched to Amsoil in crankcase & tranny , anxious to see if it quiets the top end noise and or effects the shifting.
       Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version