Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Red Sox threatening Japan boycott if staff isn't paid  (Read 668 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Red Sox threatening Japan boycott if staff isn't paid
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »

Email|Print|Single Page| Text size – + By Nick Cafardo and Jackie MacMullan
Globe Staff / March 19, 2008
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Red Sox third baseman Mike Lowell confirmed to the Globe that the team voted unanimously this morning not to make the scheduled trip to Japan or play its final spring training game against Toronto this afternoon unless the coaches, training staff, and equipment staff were going to be compensated for making the trip to Japan.

The players are adamant that this was negotiated in their agreement to play in Japan and that it has now been reneged.

''When we voted to go to Japan, that was not a unanimous vote,'' said Lowell, "but we did what our team wanted us to do for Major League Baseball. They promised us the moon and the stars, and then when we committed, they started pulling back. It's not just the coaches, it's the staff, the trainers, a lot of people are affected by this.

"I'm so super proud of this team. When we put it to a vote it was unanimous, we're all in agreement that we're not going to put up with this.''

As of 12:06 p.m., the Red Sox stuck to their word and did not take the field for today's Sox-Blue Jays game at City of Palms Park, which was slated to begin at 12:05 p.m. Players sat in the dugout rather than take the field. Team captain Jason Varitek told reporters, "We're not playing until this is resolved."

According to the Red Sox media relations staff, if the game does not begin by 12:30 p.m., players will instead sign autographs for fans.

Manager Terry Francona and his players were extremely irked after learning the team's coaches were not going to get the $40,000 stipend they assumed they'd be getting for making the trip to Japan (players will also receive a payment). Francona had informed the coaches they'd be getting the stipend.

However, the Sox manager was told by members of the Oakland coaching staff that they were not being paid. Francona had thought it was unusual that one team's staff would be paid and the other not. So he checked into it and found he and his coaches were getting nothing.

"I had to go back and tell the coaches not to spend the money some of them had already spent," Francona said.

According to NESN, the Sox are fighting for compensation for about 10 staff members.

The Red Sox are scheduled to leave Fort Myers after today's Grapefruit League finale against the Blue Jays (12:05 p.m.), but now it appears both the game and the flight are somewhat in question. The Sox are scheduled to bus to the airport for their flight to Chicago and then Japan at 4:45 p.m.

"That's one of the things we've been talking about," David Ortiz said of the potential Japan boycott. "It's really [expletive] up."

The scene here in Florida is an odd one, for sure. There have been conversations going on about this fluid issue among the Red Sox staff, including one between Lowell and Francona and between Lowell and Theo Epstein. Meanwhile, there are a couple hundred suitcases outside the locker room being tagged and weighed for the trip to Japan.

Francona said he doesn't care about himself but that in some cases the $40,000 represents some two-fifths of a coach's salary. The Red Sox are scheduled to face the Oakland Athletics in two season-opening games in Tokyo on March 25 and 26.

Oakland general manager Billy Beane was driving to his office in Oakland when informed about possible boycotts by the Red Sox players not to play today's final exhibition game or to take the trip to Japan.

"I first found out about it yesterday when I had dinner with my manager Bob Geren, and he told me about it," Beane said. "I think everyone on our staff, from what I was told was disappointed. I think that's safe to say."

Asked whether he knew of his players or coaches taking the action the Sox have taken he said, "I'm not aware of that. I'll probably know more when I get into the office. Looks like the Red Sox players have mobilized their forces."

Geren is the one who informed Francona that coaches and support staff, like trainers, were not being paid.

Red Sox first base coach Luis Alicea said he appreciates the support of the players and feels the entire issue is "embarrassing."

"We all like to feel as if we're part of the team," Alicea said. "We help the players and we appreciate what they're trying to do. We thought this issue was resolved a long time ago. To have it come down to the final day is embarrassing. That's about all I can say about it."

Curt Schilling was one of the players involved in the negotiations last fall.

"We had an agreement. We had an agreement in October," Schilling said. "I was one of the five or six players on the phone call. Some of the things they promised they've already taken away. From the players point of view, we all felt the same way. They can't do this. This can't happen."

Schilling said a few things have already been "taken away" by Major League Baseball.

"In October when we were on the phone call, they wanted this trip to happen so badly, and now they've fallen by the wayside time and time again. The things we were adamant about at the time we reiterated time and time again, and it was never an issue."

What things?

"Different personal things that were supposed to happen from an accommodations standpoint. Little things that tend to make trips like this easier. It's been more than one thing. Hopefully, it's just miscommunication, and it will be fixed," Schilling said.

While Mike Lowell confirmed the players voted not to play today's exhibition game with the Blue Jays if the issue is not resolved, Schilling wouldn't go that far.

"We've met and we've talked. We're trying to get the issue resolved right now," he said.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:25:03 PM by naitram »
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Red Sox threatening Japan boycott if staff isn't paid
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Red Sox ended a threatened boycott today of their final spring training game in Florida and their flight to Japan, resolving a dispute over paying coaches for the season-opening trip overseas.

The game against Toronto started an hour late when the team voted unanimously not to play or go to Tokyo after learning coaches and staff would not get a $40,000 appearance fee for the Japan trip. Players said they believed that fee was part of the deal.

Team spokesman John Blake would not say how the dispute was resolved.

"We're going to Japan," he said.

Earlier, catcher Jason Varitek said the team would not take the field or go to Japan until Major League Baseball agreed to pay the coaches and staff.

Manager Terry Francona and his players became upset after learning staff members were not going to get a $40,000 stipend.

"I did not have an off day yesterday. I had the phone glued to my ear because I was promised some answers, and I haven't even received a phone call," Francona said this morning. "So I'm a little bit stuck. What I want to do this morning is get excited to play a baseball game and what I ended up doing is apologizing to the coaches and being humiliated."

The players were adamant that the payment for coaches and staff was negotiated in their agreement to play in Japan and that it had been reneged. Third baseman Mike Lowell confirmed to the Globe that the team voted unanimously this morning not to make the scheduled trip unless the situation was rectified.

''When we voted to go to Japan, that was not a unanimous vote,'' said Lowell, "but we did what our team wanted us to do for Major League Baseball. They promised us the moon and the stars, and then when we committed, they started pulling back. It's not just the coaches, it's the staff, the trainers, a lot of people are affected by this.

"I'm so super proud of this team. When we put it to a vote it was unanimous, we're all in agreement that we're not going to put up with this.''

Daisuke Matsuzaka, who had been scheduled to pitch today, left the stadium to pitch at a game against Minnesota's Triple A affiliate. David Aardsma started in his place. Matsuzaka is scheduled to be the opening day starter in Tokyo next week against Oakland.

Varitek said players thought it was necessary to take a stand on behalf of the coaches and staff.

"They're the basis of what takes care of us," he said.

Oakland pitcher Alan Embree said he supported Boston's stance.

"I think we'll get together and talk about it. I was under the impression that everybody was taken care of," Embree said. "I don't care how they split it up, who's at fault, they just need to fix it."

He said a Boston player contacted him this morning. Oakland players planned to meet to discuss the situation before their exhibition game against a Chicago Cubs' split squad.

"For those guys to take that stance -- they're veterans. They feel strongly about it, and they brought it to the attention of higher-ups," Embree said. "We have to fix it one way or the other. ... Coaches deserved compensation. They're going over there, too, and every little bit counts."

Boston pitcher Curt Schilling said they learned Tuesday the deal was not what the players and coaches thought they'd agreed to with baseball.

"I think everyone was kind of caught off guard," he said.

Red Sox first base coach Luis Alicea said he appreciated the support of the players and feels the entire issue is "embarrassing."

"We all like to feel as if we're part of the team," Alicea said. "We help the players and we appreciate what they're trying to do. We thought this issue was resolved a long time ago. To have it come down to the final day is embarrassing. That's about all I can say about it."

Red Sox batting coach Dave Magadan also said he appreciated the players' support.

"It means as much as the money itself," he told ESPN.

Schilling was one of the players involved in the negotiations last fall.

"We had an agreement. We had an agreement in October," Schilling said. "I was one of the five or six players on the phone call. Some of the things they promised they've already taken away. From the players point of view, we all felt the same way. They can't do this. This can't happen."

Schilling said a few things have already been "taken away" by Major League Baseball.

"In October when we were on the phone call, they wanted this trip to happen so badly, and now they've fallen by the wayside time and time again. The things we were adamant about at the time we reiterated time and time again, and it was never an issue."

What things?

"Different personal things that were supposed to happen from an accommodations standpoint. Little things that tend to make trips like this easier. It's been more than one thing. Hopefully, it's just miscommunication, and it will be fixed," Schilling said.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:04:12 PM by naitram »
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.