Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Flush Gas Cap & Gauge..  (Read 22533 times)

HongKongMike

Flush Gas Cap & Gauge..
« on: July 17, 2008, 02:56:12 AM »

Has anyone fitted the flush fuel gauge and cap from the '08 Rocker to their Deuce? I read on another thread that this is possible, but I haven't seen anyone say that they have actually done it.

Thanks

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Flush Gas Cap & Gauge..
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 10:39:54 AM »

I'll have to take a close look at a Rocker to see what they look like. I would imagine you'd want the matching gas cap too.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:44:54 PM »

The standard Rocker setup (62811-08) fits fine and looks great. I installed it on my 04 CVO Deuce. The only issue I had was it was a bit hard to press down onto the gauge to turn/lock it down inside the tank. It wasn't an issue of the Deuce tank vs. the Rocker tank but I guess just poor HD quality fit overall between the 2 pieces. Nonetheless, it fit and locked down fine with some persuasion. The blue LEDs are really bright and as best as I can tell, are quite accurate and no worse than the analog gauge it replaced.

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 02:19:29 PM »

The standard Rocker setup (62811-08) fits fine and looks great. I installed it on my 04 CVO Deuce. The only issue I had was it was a bit hard to press down onto the gauge to turn/lock it down inside the tank. It wasn't an issue of the Deuce tank vs. the Rocker tank but I guess just poor HD quality fit overall between the 2 pieces. Nonetheless, it fit and locked down fine with some persuasion. The blue LEDs are really bright and as best as I can tell, are quite accurate and no worse than the analog gauge it replaced.

Do you have a pic.  Please post I would like to see what it looks like on the bike.  Thanks...
SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 02:31:36 PM »

Some are junk too...My serk, junk, the missus dyna, fine...

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 03:13:56 PM »

Some are junk too...My serk, junk, the missus dyna, fine...

Some are junk, some aren't, but they all can be fixed! Or ya can take the easy way out and buy another 110 Ultra (and go thru the samechit!) ::) :P ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 06:31:07 PM »

Finally had some time to shoot and upload.

For those who 'need to know', the gas gauge is not a "wet" gauge. Its basically sits in a cup in the tank and does not come in contact with the gas. The sensor wire basically runs right through the bottom of the left tank. In my head, since I never did changed a fuel gauge before, my first impression was that the fluid level sensor was attached to this guage. It aint!

Without further adieu, a few pics...

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 06:32:33 PM »

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 06:34:45 PM »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 06:40:01 PM »

That's how it should look!!! Nice job Craig! Should'a came that way! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 09:12:33 PM »

Too bad the color isn't red to match the guages! My tach and speedo is backlit red, so blue would look a little goofy? Even the stock white looks weird.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 09:57:28 PM »

That's how it should look!!! Nice job Craig! Should'a came that way! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
Thanks! I have to agree. I'm a 'boob' guy just as much as the next guy, but 2 boobs on the tank just wasn't my thing. Flush looks much cleaner.
I think the cool thing about is when the power's off, it looks identical to the gas cap, just chrome. Not sure how they get the light to light up inside the gas gauge but nonethless, as Mr. magloo says, it's not matching red but still better looking than the stock boob.
I think I even might be getting 1 mpg more due to the reduced wind resistance!

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 12:55:05 PM »

Sharp looking!  Great job thanks for the pics!  :2vrolijk_21:
SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)

kev

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2 2008
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 03:14:49 AM »

Just a thought
Is it possible to change the colour of the speedo and tacho to blue to match the led's in the fuel gauge. I have
never had one to bits so I do not know if it has led's or bulbs in the the speedo and tacho.
On the other hand my springer SE 08 already has the red led's in the flush mount gauge,  but I do not know
if the profile would fit the deuce tank

biz44

• F-around...F-around, soon you wont be around!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 11:56:34 PM »

I love the way that looks.....the one thing I dont like though is the chronic inaccuracy of the HD fuel gauges. I was just wondering if the accuracy was any better with the flush mount LED gauge, as opposed to the analog unit?
I guess you could just pull the float up out of the tank, and bend the rod on it until it is reading perfect....it may take a bit of time though. Heck if I am going to change out the stock fuel gauge on my SE-Deuce to one of those flush mount LED kits, I may as well go the full route and adjust the arm on the float....no?

Just a thought
Is it possible to change the colour of the speedo and tacho to blue to match the led's in the fuel gauge. I have
never had one to bits so I do not know if it has led's or bulbs in the the speedo and tacho.
On the other hand my springer SE 08 already has the red led's in the flush mount gauge,  but I do not know

Yes....you could install a blue bulb, or just get the blue "shade" bulb cover....I think Auto Meter sells them in all colors, and a white light bulb will shine blue.
03'FXSTD-SE CVO Screaming Eagle Deuce.
 08'FLHX Street Glide in Dark Blue Pearl.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 11:55:26 PM »

Just a thought

the gauge and gas cap will fit with no problems.

it's the trim ring for the gas cap that causes the issues. before the rocker flush gauge set came out, the only thing that you needed to do to install the "softail" or "touring" flush gauge and gas cap set on a Deuce was to "form" the gas cap trim ring to the contour of the Deuce tank with a heat gun or hair dyer.

the trim ring was the only reason HD said it would NOT fit the Deuce....

now about your LED issue....
it's probably much easier to change the LED's in the flush gauge to orange than to change the speedo and tach to blue.

I have had the flush gauge apart and the LED's are fairly easy to get to.. :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 11:59:05 PM »

I love the way that looks.....the one thing I dont like though is the chronic inaccuracy of the HD fuel gauges. I was just wondering if the accuracy was any better with the flush mount LED gauge, as opposed to the analog unit?
I guess you could just pull the float up out of the tank, and bend the rod on it until it is reading perfect....it may take a bit of time though. Heck if I am going to change out the stock fuel gauge on my SE-Deuce to one of those flush mount LED kits, I may as well go the full route and adjust the arm on the float....no?

Yes....you could install a blue bulb, or just get the blue "shade" bulb cover....I think Auto Meter sells them in all colors, and a white light bulb will shine blue.

if your original analog gauge was off then the flush digital gauge willl be off too, the only way to make it accurate IS to adjust the float arm in the tank... :2vrolijk_21:

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 02:37:28 PM »

As everyone said, if your analog gauge was off, so will the digital LED one.
Overall, it seems pretty accurate and when I have 2 -3 LEDs remaining, my "low gas" idiot light on the dash fires up. One thing however, is I do notice that the LEDs range is not entirely 'equal' throughout the empty to full tank. Almost  all of them tend to stay lit (showing full) and only after around 80-90 miles, does the first 1 or 2 LEDs go out. After that, it starts to begin 'counting down'.  I wouldn't call them "all on" and "all off" but certainly doesn't appear to be a even as I would hope. Maybe it just needs adjustment but overall, after multiple tank fills, I know when I'm down to 2-3 LEDs, I know I need to go find me a gas station and my odometer confirms its pretty consistant.

Looks way better than the stock and I'm real happy with the results.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 12:19:46 PM »

Mine is the opposit....

when I'm down to 2 -3 LED's I still have about 1/2 tank of fuel left!
my low fuel "idiot" light in the speedo doesn't come on until I hit 1 LED...
but there is still about 1/4 tank left at that point, and I usually just fill up from there...

my float needs to be adjusted a little... :2vrolijk_21:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »

I use the trip odometer as the fuel gauge is nfg.

jdawgdeuce

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to thank the guy that posted pics of his flush mounted fuel cap and gauge! I was told no way I can do anything on my cvo 04 deuce, and was stoked to find out the 08 rocker ones will fit. Ordered the black, can't wait! J

gmpartsman

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 09:34:59 PM »

very easy to do and looks great..old on the left and new flush mounts on the right

both done... :)

jdawgdeuce

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 10:08:40 PM »

That's sweet looking! I had a hard time deciding chrome or black, decided I hadn't seen any with the black, so hoping it gives the stretched look. The chrome ones definitely look awesome, thanks for posting!

Trivisonno

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 11:21:54 PM »

I cant thank you all enough for this one!!! They look way cool. Since mine is a California model, I had to tap the filler neck insert out. Other than that they are perfect.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 11:51:45 PM »

Does look great!
Alan

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 12:07:07 AM »

Great look! May try this with my wife's SE Deuce.

Richyunker

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 08:14:07 AM »

gmpartsman, I want to do this to my '03 deuce. So the prior posts were correct? no issues with the "rocker" kit? Please let me know if anything had to be modified, or persuaded? Your ride looks really good, as does the prior.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 07:36:23 AM »

They do look great, i put them on my Convertible, just wished you could get them with Red LEDs
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

eztigersmc

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 11:10:40 AM »

So sorry about bringing up an old thread but I can't find an answer to my question here.  I am trying to figure out if there is a low fuel light on the flush mounted gauge or not.  I have an '03 SE Deuce that I am considering getting these for.  I noticed that the '04 Deuces have the low fuel light on the dash while the '03 has the little LED inside the gauge.  I am pretty lucky in that my low fuel light is pretty accurate for me.  I sorta need it due to the fact that I'm on the highway and in town a lot.  My mileage varies quite a bit. 
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.