Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: What about Paul Newman?  (Read 3442 times)

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
What about Paul Newman?
« on: September 27, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »

Great guy! Sorry that we no longer can share his smile.  :bigcry:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: What about Paul Newman?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 01:27:23 PM »

Great guy! Sorry that we no longer can share his smile.  :bigcry:

Me too  :(  He was a great actor and person, as is his wife.  Sad to lose him...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 01:54:08 PM »

To everything there is a season.
Better to see Cool Hand Luke pass while we still remember him as such than to watch him become a sick and sad old man.

I'm sure he's up there in Heaven racing cars, raising veggies and shootin pool with St Peter

B B

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 02:47:34 PM »

To everything there is a season.
Better to see Cool Hand Luke pass while we still remember him as such than to watch him become a sick and sad old man.

I'm sure he's up there in Heaven racing cars, raising veggies and shootin pool with St Peter

B B

BB I have to agree. At work he is our hero. I can hear the guys now. Luke you just got yourself another night in the box!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 03:52:03 PM »

Wow ...  I must have watched Cool Hand Luke at least 10 times ...  wow

:coolblue:  :sad2: :bigcry: :bigcry:
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 06:58:27 PM »

Indeed, very sad to learn of the passing of Paul Newman. 

I am sure many of you have had the opportunity to meet and maybe even become friends with someone famous at some time in your life.  The famous person that I met many years ago and became friends with was Paul Newman. 

When Paul raced Nissan's and Oldsmobile's in the SCCA and raced the endurance races such as in Daytona, Watkins Glen, Sebring and other places, he and I became good friends.  In his early SCCA days, he raced in the same class as my father.  Both he and my father were very good, and for a few years, either he or my father won most all of the races in their class.  During this era, both he and my father won GT1 National Championships.  I can honestly say I have shared more then a couple of Budweisers in the motor coach or dinners on a Friday or Saturday night after a long day at the track with Paul.  I remember one occaision at a SCCA national race in Wentzville, MO., at Mid America Raceway.  After a long race where he and my father traded the lead multiple times in about 100 degree weather, he invited my father and I to his motor coach after the race.  Paul was sitting in his jockey undershorts and his wife Joanne was doing needle work.  Gene Crowe, his lead mechanic and Bob Sharp  (father of current Indy Car driver Scott Sharp), Paul's partner at the time were also there.  We drank beer and ate good food until quite late into the night.  I had to be back at school the next morning (about 7 hours away).  In fun, Paul wrote me an excuse for my 1st period teacher and signed it.  Of course, the next day, I was late and in a bit of hot water.  Racing caused me to miss more than a few classes and I was about at the end of the road with some of the teachers.  I was getting a fairly stern lecture about being late again - so I asked if a note from Paul Newman would be an adequete excuse.  Of course, the teacher thought I was either bluffing or crazy - until I pulled out the note.  I got out of the hot water!  Another time we were at a restaurant in Commerce, Georgia having dinner during a race weekend at Road Atlanta.  Paul was wearing tinted eyeglasses.  A waitress came up to Paul and ask him if he would show her his blue eyes.  He told her if she showed him her tits, he would show her his eyes.  She did - and he did - everyone had a good laugh.  Just a couple of many, many memories. My father retired from racing about 10 years ago.  I had not seen Paul for at least that many years.  But my memories of him are vivid.  In all the time I spent with him and around him while racing, he never once brought up movies or acting.  Neither did any of us.  I think that is one of the reasons we became friends.  We treated him like any other competitor, and never treated him like anything but one of the guys.  And I think he respected our accomplishments.  We were never one of the best funded teams, but we outperformed most all of them.  Paul was a great person - he donated much of his time and money to those who needed help - especially children.  He leaves a great legacy.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 08:07:21 PM »

Great memories sadunbar,

Thanks for sharing them.  Paul Newman RIP.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 09:24:52 PM »

sadunbar
             WOW ! what a great bunch of memories. Not only of knowing somebody as well liked and respected as Newman, but also sharing all those years with your Dad.

B B

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 11:39:05 PM »

Great racer and actor.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 12:27:54 PM »

All around a GREAT MAN. His Painted Turtle Camp is about 7 miles from me and I support his causes and what he did for others. I know, I will miss Paul. Bummer here.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 01:05:24 PM »

Great racer and actor.

Her would much be remembered for his CART-Champcar teams and his racing career than by being a actor.
He was always anti IRL (Tony George) and that was enough for me.    :2vrolijk_21:

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 09:27:07 PM »

He was a great guy.We dont have many actors like him anymore.RIP. :drink:
Ridin Legend

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 09:12:03 AM »

I am sure many of you have had the opportunity to meet and maybe even become friends with someone famous at some time in your life.  The famous person that I met many years ago and became friends with was Paul Newman. 

When Paul raced Nissan's and Oldsmobile's in the SCCA and raced the endurance races such as in Daytona, Watkins Glen, Sebring and other places, he and I became good friends.  In his early SCCA days, he raced in the same class as my father.  Both he and my father were very good, and for a few years, either he or my father won most all of the races in their class.  During this era, both he and my father won GT1 National Championships.  I can honestly say I have shared more then a couple of Budweisers in the motor coach or dinners on a Friday or Saturday night after a long day at the track with Paul.  I remember one occaision at a SCCA national race in Wentzville, MO., at Mid America Raceway.  After a long race where he and my father traded the lead multiple times in about 100 degree weather, he invited my father and I to his motor coach after the race.  Paul was sitting in his jockey undershorts and his wife Joanne was doing needle work.  Gene Crowe, his lead mechanic and Bob Sharp  (father of current Indy Car driver Scott Sharp), Paul's partner at the time were also there.  We drank beer and ate good food until quite late into the night.  I had to be back at school the next morning (about 7 hours away).  In fun, Paul wrote me an excuse for my 1st period teacher and signed it.  Of course, the next day, I was late and in a bit of hot water.  Racing caused me to miss more than a few classes and I was about at the end of the road with some of the teachers.  I was getting a fairly stern lecture about being late again - so I asked if a note from Paul Newman would be an adequete excuse.  Of course, the teacher thought I was either bluffing or crazy - until I pulled out the note.  I got out of the hot water!  Another time we were at a restaurant in Commerce, Georgia having dinner during a race weekend at Road Atlanta.  Paul was wearing tinted eyeglasses.  A waitress came up to Paul and ask him if he would show her his blue eyes.  He told her if she showed him her tits, he would show her his eyes.  She did - and he did - everyone had a good laugh.  Just a couple of many, many memories. My father retired from racing about 10 years ago.  I had not seen Paul for at least that many years.  But my memories of him are vivid.  In all the time I spent with him and around him while racing, he never once brought up movies or acting.  Neither did any of us.  I think that is one of the reasons we became friends.  We treated him like any other competitor, and never treated him like anything but one of the guys.  And I think he respected our accomplishments.  We were never one of the best funded teams, but we outperformed most all of them.  Paul was a great person - he donated much of his time and money to those who needed help - especially children.  He leaves a great legacy.
Scott,

Do you still have that note?  That is awesome.  He sure was a humble man.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 10:52:26 AM »

Scott,

Do you still have that note?  That is awesome.  He sure was a humble man.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Yes I do....it was thirty years ago...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 01:02:26 PM »

Great memories Scott, thanks for sharing.  A great man passed this weekend.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 10:43:26 AM »

RIP Paul! He was one of the good guys!!!

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 10:55:41 AM »

Got a little teary eyed last weekend when we rode past his Hole In The Wall Gang's Painted Turtle. I hate this getting old thing, we see more friends and family pass from us. Bummer.

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 12:10:59 PM »

Too bad a great American like Paul Newman isn't on the ballot instead of the four BS artists.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »

Too bad a great American like Paul Newman isn't on the ballot instead of the four BS artists.

He was a "gasp" Liberal.  Was even on Nixon's "List".

TTS Mastertune

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »

Yes but he was the rare exception, he was productive member of society.

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 05:35:32 PM »

Great memories

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 08:19:51 PM »

Very interesting, thanks for sharing the memories. :2vrolijk_21:

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 08:35:37 PM »

He was a "gasp" Liberal.  Was even on Nixon's "List".

Professed, or in your mind?  Please advise.  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 08:44:26 PM »

Sadunbar thanks for sharing the memories, We have lost a true legend.
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 10:51:47 AM »

Professed, or in your mind?  Please advise.  Later--HUBBARD 

All you've got to do is use Google...it's common knowledge.  He was a great actor and humanitarian, as is his wife.  Does it diminish the man in your mind?

"Of all his political work and support, however, it appears that nothing gave Newman more joy than his appearance on Nixon’s enemies list, initially compiled by Charles Colson and sent as a memorandum to John Dean in 1971. Newman wound up as the 19th name on the original 20-person list, with a notation next to his name that read “Radic-lib causes. Heavy McCarthy involvement ’68. Used effectively in nationwide T.V. commercials. ’72 involvement certain.”

In a fundraising e-mail for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee last year, Newman said of the disgraced president’s hit list: “It was one of my life's proudest achievements. More than the films, more than the awards — finding out that I was on Nixon's enemies list  meant that I was doing something right."

TTS Mastertune

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 11:24:44 AM »

Compare the "Liberals"

Joe Biden who contributed 300 bucks to charity, lives in a 3.5 million dollar house, yet is telling me it is "patriotic" to support Obama's higher taxes and socialist policies

OR

Paul Newman who has contributed over 200 million to charity and then donated the entire "Newman's Own" company.

Paul Newman a real American hero who walked the walk,    Biden and Obama BS artists who talk the talk.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 11:33:56 AM »

Compare the "Liberals"

Joe Biden who contributed 300 bucks to charity, lives in a 3.5 million dollar house, yet is telling me it is "patriotic" to support Obama's higher taxes and socialist policies

OR

Paul Newman who has contributed over 200 million to charity and then donated the entire "Newman's Own" company.

Paul Newman a real American hero who walked the walk,    Biden and Obama BS artists who talk the talk.

I thought we were talking about Paul Newman here, and not presidential politics.  He was a great man, a great artist, and philanthropist.  That he was liberal in his politics is a side bar.  Enough said.

TTS Mastertune

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 12:40:38 PM »

All you've got to do is use Google...it's common knowledge.  He was a great actor and humanitarian, as is his wife.  Does it diminish the man in your mind?

"Of all his political work and support, however, it appears that nothing gave Newman more joy than his appearance on Nixon’s enemies list, initially compiled by Charles Colson and sent as a memorandum to John Dean in 1971. Newman wound up as the 19th name on the original 20-person list, with a notation next to his name that read “Radic-lib causes. Heavy McCarthy involvement ’68. Used effectively in nationwide T.V. commercials. ’72 involvement certain.”

In a fundraising e-mail for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee last year, Newman said of the disgraced president’s hit list: “It was one of my life's proudest achievements. More than the films, more than the awards — finding out that I was on Nixon's enemies list  meant that I was doing something right."

No, No, No!  I think he was one of America's Greatest Citizens.  The question was, was PN a "professed" liberal?  You know, like in he admitted it publicly.  If in fact he did, and was, then I stand corrected, and there would have once been a liberal on this Planet I admired.  Now that he has passed, and again, if he was, the count is back to Nada.  Nixon and Colson tagging one a liberal, don't make it so.  A paranoid lot, to say the least.  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 01:04:37 PM »

No, No, No!  I think he was one of America's Greatest Citizens.  The question was, was PN a "professed" liberal?  You know, like in he admitted it publicly.  If in fact he did, and was, then I stand corrected, and there would have once been a liberal on this Planet I admired.  Now that he has passed, and again, if he was, the count is back to Nada.  Nixon and Colson tagging one a liberal, don't make it so.  A paranoid lot, to say the least.  Later--HUBBARD 

Trust me on this one, Hub...or if not, just use Google, or any search engine of your choice.  He was a self professed liberal, and contributed to almost all democratic candidates running for major office, including both Hillary and Obama.  He also contributed to Ralph Nader's campaign in 2000.  The last statement in my previous post, in quotes, were his words.

However, he hated the Hollywood "lifestyle"...that is why he lived rather quietly with his beautiful wife, JoAnne, in Connecticut.  He chose to keep a rather low profile in his personal life, and good for him.  One of my favorite quotes from him when asked in an interview if he'd ever been tempted to "stray" from JoAnne because of his good looks and all of the opportunities/temptations that must have brought him was "Why would I want to eat Hamburger when I've got Steak at home?"  He and JoAnne starred together in "The Drowning Pool"...a great movie set in South Louisiana.

He was also a hellava good race car driver...

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 01:16:55 PM »

Yeah Carl, Newman was politically active.  Perhaps a bit more vocal in the pre-salad dressing days.  But in some form or another active in a number of areas.

Brings up a tangential thought.  So many "celebrities" choose some sort of political activism and think their celebrity is all they must bring to the table.  That and a gut (or publicist suggested) feeling on some matter or another.

Surprisingly few are invested in a matter or concern and also do the work to be truly informed and effective in their support of or opposition to something.  Redford and Newman are two who, generally, when they spoke knew/know what they were talking about.  Heston was the same on the other side of the political spectrum.  Willis seems to have the same intent though yet has not quite done the homework to show the gravitas that Newman or Heston or Redford might have shown.

There are others of course.  Just examples here.  But such examples are unfortunately few.  Fortunately for their "day jobs" all they have to do is entertain or amuse; we don't nor should we rely on them for information nor care what they say.  But it's easy to appreciate those few that make the effort to be actively engaged and effectively informed rather than just spouting off for TV.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 21 queries.