Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: More sales trouble for Harley-Davidson  (Read 22354 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: More sales trouble for Harley-Davidson
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 11:41:52 AM »

I think I remember that he was asking 9k over MSRP for the  CVO back in March at Bike Week. I did remind the sales guys that there is a recession going on. They just nodded their heads and replied "hey, I just work here." What's he thining now I wonder.

2 orange SERG3's on the floor. Someone I know (from the site) offered the salesman $32k cash OTD and he said "no".

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 12:18:50 PM »

They should give Kyle a call at Hot Rod H-D in Muskegon,MI 231-727-8427. They have had an O/B there for over a month and just got in a Silver
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

dagbre

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 SEFB
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 05:06:02 PM »

Its the same all over, but MoCo has done quite a lot to adapt, with great looking bikes in their dark custom line, which is more of a recesion look. A sober contrast to the easter eggs of the bonanza years behind us. CVO should take this signal soon, and modify the "screamin colors" policy.

Still, MoCo hasnt succeeded with their best bike so far, the xr 1200. Try it, folks! Its a great ride. If we can get rid of the awful 70s flattrack retro tank design that NOBODY wants, it might well be a great selling bike.
Måteleg klok kvar mann vere ovklok vere han ikkje for sjeldan er hugnad i hjarta å finna hjå honom som ovklok er!

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 07:17:19 PM »

Sierramadre, don't blame the MOCO for what dealers do. MOCO does NOT tell the dealers to sell their chit at MSRP or above. I am no MOCO defender , but lets put blame where it belongs.

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 03:40:26 AM »

I fully agree with dagbre. Had the xr 1200 for a weekend, absolutly great to ride, but change the tank-design and volume.
Have been riding a buell xb12 for a year and now have as a second bike the ulysess (for 3 years now), the xr 1200 is definitly
a big improvement.

bandit

:bananarock:
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 04:42:56 PM »

Sierramadre, don't blame the MOCO for what dealers do. MOCO does NOT tell the dealers to sell their chit at MSRP or above. I am no MOCO defender , but lets put blame where it belongs.

Not the MOCO's fault for what the dealer's do - correct.  Unfortunately many dealers have now built stores and associated overheads that cannot survive with current volumes and margins, including some really good dealers.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 05:08:51 PM »

Not the MOCO's fault for what the dealer's do - correct.  Unfortunately many dealers have now built stores and associated overheads that cannot survive with current volumes and margins, including some really good dealers.
It's not good to get in right before the bubble bursts.  :nervous: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 09:24:21 PM »

It's not good to get in right before the bubble bursts.  :nervous: spyder

Hind sight is 20/20 (Thank goodness!  ;D :2vrolijk_21:)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 09:32:54 PM »

Hind sight is 20/20 (Thank goodness!  ;D :2vrolijk_21:)

With that being said, why screw with the injuns when you can pick up the real thing at a firesale.

Just sayin,

Ahhhhhhhhhh, now your thinkin!

SBB

:2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:04:09 PM by SBB »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 06:22:16 AM »

Can't see this coming year getting any better for the Mo Co. This late in the year the local dealer is still jammed with 09's including 2 CVO Ultras & 2 SE Road Glides.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 07:27:59 PM »

you know that this is no "cheap" hobby, sport or whatever you would like to call it. People are so worried about having a job these days, that almost everything else has to wait or be passed by. They better start realizing this sooner because later will likely be too late.  At this time of the year, these dealers should not be sitting on these massive inventories with the next model year about to come out in 2 months.  I'm glad I don't have that pressure on me. But we all have enough of our own these days. Good luck to HD,  they're gonna need it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 08:11:29 PM »

you know that this is no "cheap" hobby, sport or whatever you would like to call it. People are so worried about having a job these days, that almost everything else has to wait or be passed by. They better start realizing this sooner because later will likely be too late.  At this time of the year, these dealers should not be sitting on these massive inventories with the next model year about to come out in 2 months.  I'm glad I don't have that pressure on me. But we all have enough of our own these days. Good luck to HD,  they're gonna need it.

Yes, you would think there would be a lot more effort to move some of that iron sitting in the showroom and still sitting in crates in the dealer's warehouse.  And it's not just '09 inventory, there are plenty of '08 bikes still unsold as well.

Motorcycles aren't even close to being a necessity, so in this economy and with all the uncertainty about the future, it makes perfect sense that sales are down.  I'm totally amazed that the decline isn't a lot worse than what's been reported; must be a bunch of the rich guys from this site buying up several spare bikes that's kept the numbers from dropping like a rock.  If you can afford it, having spares sitting around is a good idea when you ride a Harley. ::)

I still expect to see a fire sale eventually.  H-D and most of the dealers are trying their damnedest to keep from breaking their MSRP or higher pricing policies, but eventually the mortgage on that nice new building, and the interest on the floorplan loan for all those bikes, and the interest on the parts and accessory inventory's, and the payroll for all those lovely Motor Clothes girls, and the payroll for all those so-called technicians, and the payroll for the wife's deadbeat brother who supposedly manages parts and service, etc., all start to add up and get into some serious cash outlay.  Even the ones who made serious cash over the past 15 years probably didn't keep it all in a mattress just waiting for this rainy day to come along.  Odds are they spent a ton on high living, and lost a ton in the market like many of us mere mortals.  And many are probably finding the same thing many consumers are finding, easy credit isn't so easy anymore.

Personally, I'm holding out for the BOGO deal.  For those guys who don't have to go shopping with their wives (one of the drawbacks to retirement, btw), BOGO stands for "Buy One, Get One free".

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »

FROM THE HORSES MOUTH...

Details on First Quarter 2009 Results

Motorcycles and Related Products Segment - First Quarter Results
Revenue from Harley-Davidson motorcycles was $1.01 billion, a decrease of $2.7 million or 0.3 percent versus the same period last year. Shipments of Harley-Davidson motorcycles totaled 74,670 units, an increase of 2,802 units or 3.9 percent compared to last year's first quarter. Shipment guidance for the quarter was 74,000 to 78,000 Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

Revenue from Parts and Accessories (P&A), which consists of Genuine Motor Parts and Genuine Motor Accessories, totaled $169.8 million, a decrease of $12.2 million or 6.7 percent versus the year-ago quarter. Revenue from General Merchandise, which consists of MotorClothes apparel and collectibles, totaled $75.2 million, a decrease of $8.8 million or 10.5 percent from the year-ago quarter.

Gross margin for the first quarter of 2009 was 36.9 percent of revenue compared to 36.4 percent for the first quarter last year. Operating margin was 17.7 percent, compared to 20.0 percent in the first quarter of 2008. Operating margin was adversely impacted during the quarter by $34.9 million in restructuring costs.

Motorcycle Retail Sales Data
During the first quarter, worldwide retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 12.0 percent compared to the prior-year quarter. In the U.S., retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 9.7 percent from the year-ago period. In last year's first quarter, U.S. retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 12.8 percent compared to the prior year.

Industry-wide retail sales of heavyweight motorcycles in the U.S. declined 22.3 percent during the quarter.

In international markets, retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 17.2 percent during the first quarter of 2009 compared to the first quarter of 2008, reflecting the impact of the severe economic downturn in many markets. In last year's first quarter, international retail Harley-Davidson motorcycle sales grew 16.8 percent compared to the prior year. In Canada, first-quarter retail sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles decreased 30.4 percent on a retail unit volume decrease of 816 motorcycles; the Europe Region was down 17.4 percent on a decrease of 1,761 units; the Asia Pacific Region was down 7.2 percent on a decrease of 382 units; and the Latin America Region was down 26.3 percent on a decrease of 488 motorcycles.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 04:50:39 AM »

In Canada, the HD stores are giving a Harley authorized $1,500.00 instore gift certificate for any new 09 purchased. Its a start anyway..

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 07:56:21 PM »

I'll drink to that one!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.