Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: 2000 Classic SERG owners / Site Registry ( let me know if I missed someone)  (Read 64792 times)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Re: 2000 Classic SERG owners / Site Registry ( let me know if I missed someone)
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »

Have a fuel tank, a pair of side covers and a rear fender that are redundant spares just listed in the selling section.  All stuff obsolete from Harley in case anyone else would like to pick up some spares of their own.

How many pairs of Shark Fins are you hording ??  There's a pair on ebay right now for almost $300  :o

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2013, 01:36:26 PM »

Gentleman, First of all my apologies if you feel this topic doesn't fit here, but I thought I could get some valuable insite into these bikes from a group of owners. I was thinking of picking up a 2000 screamin eagel triple red Road glide to go along with my 06 ultra, and I have been following the
resale market, ebay, and others for quite some time. Are there any obvious issues i should be aware of with this model when I am looking at the bikes. There seems to be some great deals out there. Thanks
06 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic
01 Screaming Eagle Roadglide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2013, 02:49:03 PM »

How many pairs of Shark Fins are you hording ??  There's a pair on ebay right now for almost $300  :o

Have FatCats on the bike so none actually in service Lou.  Do have one pristine pair NOS in their boxes and one pair that's very good used mounted on the shop wall over the bike service area's work bench.  Just for decoration :2vrolijk_21: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2013, 02:59:27 PM »

Gentleman, First of all my apologies if you feel this topic doesn't fit here, but I thought I could get some valuable insite into these bikes from a group of owners. I was thinking of picking up a 2000 screamin eagel triple red Road glide to go along with my 06 ultra, and I have been following the
resale market, ebay, and others for quite some time. Are there any obvious issues i should be aware of with this model when I am looking at the bikes. There seems to be some great deals out there. Thanks

Personally I still think the triple red SERG is the best looking Road Glide ever produced.  #2 is the black and grey and #3 is tied between either of the orange and blacks.  The newer SERGs are nice looking backs.  But the fairing (especially) and the way it flows back to the tanks on the classic SERGs is a great look and a cool line.

Only "obvious" (known) issues that are of huge concern with these bikes are engine or engine management.

First is that the early twin cam engines have inner cam bearing issues.  That progressed in to the 2000 model year.  If you get a 2000 model bike and it's never had cams and cam bearings changed count on changing cam bearings.  Just to be safe.  Relatively inexpensive insurance against a failure that, should it happen, will completely ruin the engine.

Second is that many riders, especially this many years after the parts were current, don't like the M&M (Marelli) engine management system.  Of collateral concern is that parts specific to it will be allowed to go obsolete sooner than later.

The system isn't really that bad though.  It's quirky.  But if familiarity is gained with it the system is ok.  If you're considering seriously upgrading the engine's specs you can go past its ability to manage too.  Just something else to keep in mind.

There are options though.  S&S and Thundermax each offer kits that upgrades the Marelli system to newer Delphi including onboard o2 sensors; just like any newer Harley.  The kits work well.  The bikes work well with the kits onboard.  So either way the Marelli system shouldn't be a deal breaker.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »

...just to add to that I would mention the cam chain tensioners are another Achilles heal with the early twin cam engine. Many of us have changed them out to gear drive cams which would take care of the cam bearing issue at the same time. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2013, 12:08:41 AM »

...just to add to that I would mention the cam chain tensioners are another Achilles heal with the early twin cam engine. Many of us have changed them out to gear drive cams which would take care of the cam bearing issue at the same time. 

Sure are.  I was being way too narrow considering just the 2000 early model bikes rather than issues that persisted.  If he wasn't familiar with the tensioners that's a big one too.  My bad....

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2013, 01:14:39 PM »

very helpful guys. I did have a 99 glide way back when, and it sounds like the issues are much the same.
06 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic
01 Screaming Eagle Roadglide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2013, 01:17:51 PM »

very helpful guys. I did have a 99 glide way back when, and it sounds like the issues are much the same.

Very much so.  The 99 and 2000 model bikes had the inner cam bearing concern and both had the Marelli ignition.  Same questions on both years so nothing new that is worrisome for you.

jinxltd

Hello Classic SERG owners,  My name is Marty and I have been combing the site to try to find as many 2000 SERG owners as I can,  for the purpose of starting a registry so that we can communicate with other owners with common interests.  I have tried to categorize you by bike color, but in some cases I could not figure out what color your bike is.  If I have made any errors or omissions or if you are in the unknown color category please reply with the correct info and I will edit the list.  Through my research of the site I have found 73 currently registered members that own one of the original Screaming Eagle Road Glide which is also the First Screamin Eagle produced in the CVO line for Harley Davidson.

THREE TONE RED                              EAGLE 1
Triple Red                            Orange /Black/White                       Unknown Color

martys                                          100th FLSTFI-Y                                      DavidB
skullwrench                                  One_Screamin_Eagle                                BIg_Un  
 Whip                                             webjammn                                            
Twolanerider                                johnnymap                                             CO-Scream
 fads                                              103tHunDer                                            Ian88
Man_From_Nantucket                FREBRD                                                  
 rabsteve                                      hogdooz
 Ranchhand                                   SERGLIDER
grandpadoc                                   kng103
Sleepe                                           TerryT
piggs                                             H-D_Tech
2KSEI                                            SEvet
route66rider                                bad00serg
quickster                                      RAZ
knuck45                                        icybay
Hawnbear                                    screem
h-d mikey                                    goldwing
drcarter0734                                jack7507
 III                                                mlofton
Ogri                                              clegg
SteveD                                         Pigbeavis
hafbad0                                       2thplumber
hddave                                        trahog
lcfxdl                                           BadDawg
Road King Ron                            acevtwin
jayray00SERG                              jpro
SixdayJ                                        Gank
JMACK                                         TR6
fredflintstone                             rockboy13  
Rimjam                                       IGP1SG
kravmaga                                  screamin1    
jfo                                                teamlovett
DionM                                          WYD OPN
Hotd8                                          lchavez
cuzen                                          karlwithakay
dillinger                                        tireking
Opie                                             RGSRULE
Fingers                                         chaos901
harley5227                                     cfraser
                                                   johnnyflame
                                                  Harleywood

jinxltd=B/O/W

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide

Welcome to the Registry and to the site Jinxltd  :2vrolijk_21: I  have added your name to the list  :drink:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide

Just want to welcome Alian to the registry  :pepper: An original owner of a 2000 Triple Red  :2vrolijk_21:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

Alien

• Full CVO Member

And my poor bike has been ridden hard and put away wet!!

It now has a 117 inch motor, most of the chrome is now Black Powdercoat. I do have all the chrome new and a fresh set of factory painted Fairing, Tank, Side covers, and saddlebags. The only painted parts I don't have are the single color lowers and fenders.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

The only painted parts I don't have are the single color lowers and fenders.

The Midnight Red and Luxury Rich Red for the lowers and front and rear fenders are old colors with mix codes readily available.  So they're no trouble should you ever need them.

No such thing as a bad looking classic SE Road Glide.

Just this morning early had to go to the local Wally World (pancake mix and bacon to feed a horde of 10 year old girls doing a sleep over with my niece) and saw an 01 black and grey running across the parking lot.  Had never seen it before.  By the time I got parked the rider was already away and in the store but I still walked around the bike.

Another bike that had also been well ridden.  Some clear coat missing and other stuff.  Still had the thought "there's no such thing as a bad looking old SE Road Glide."

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

Alin , how do you like the 117?

Every time I take SERG out for a spin I get people giving thumbs up or saying Look its got eagles!

Love this bike
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

Alien

• Full CVO Member

Alin , how do you like the 117?

Every time I take SERG out for a spin I get people giving thumbs up or saying Look its got eagles!

Love this bike

Mixed emotions. I bought the bike new and except for exhaust and air cleaner I rode it stock for about 65,000 miles. Knowing about the cam chain tensioner issue I had aquired some woods TW6HG cams, cam gears, the necessary parts to convert to carb and a set of heads and cylinders reworked for the higher lift cam and higher compression pistons. Somewhere around 63-65,000 miles I heard a "noise" and knew it was time. When I tore into it the tensioners were shot with the outside one down about to metal.

It ran in that configuration until about 95-98,000 miles. It was weeping, leaking, popping and coughing and I didn't feel like doing it myself this time so I worked out a plan with a local well known builder for them to do a frshen up.

Famous last words. Upon dissasembly the lower end was found to be out of spec (loose). They quoted me a price to rebuild the lower end to stock stroke but in my wisdom I said what the hell the lower end is apart lets make it "BIGGER". I explained I wanted dependability, reliability and that I rode year round and all over the country (37 states so far) and could they do that? Sure they said and the work began. They basically did their typical 117 build and didnt listen to anything I said and of course blames it on the nature of the beast. Don't get me wrong the bike runs like a bear and is very quick, embarasses most of my friends and surprises many a foreign bike up to about 110/120 MPH.

I have been through 3-4 starters, a couple of batteries, a ring gear, and a few starter pinion gears. The bike will not start reliably under 50 degrees. So much for my trips. Many times I have woken up on a trip in NH or Maine to find frost on the bike in the morning but be 60-70 in the afternoon. They have had it in for the starting issue a few times (no charge) and it always starts for them. The bike is in their shop and the heat is turned off for the night but I doubt the shop ever gets down to 50. My bike is in an unheated shed that can be 30-50 degrees for days. I put a buddy heater next to it for 15-20 minutes if I want to go for a ride on colder days. After that initial start it will start fine all day as many times as needed but is one cold Bitch on the first start. If you don't get it on the first try you may as well change the spark plugs. Not a confidence inspiring situation for trips and adventures!

With all that being said it runs good and strong with no mechanical issues other than starter/pinion/ring gear. Alls Balls starters have been great about warranteeing their starters. The only starter clutch that works for any length of time is the Weldon HR1 and I swap that from one Alls Balls starter to the next. I keep a spare on the shelf and can swap a starter in about 3 hours. Return that one for warrantee and then put it on the shelf.

I have aquired all the parts necessary to convert to Delphi and am going to use the screaming eagle race tuner. The harness is from Dan Thayer. I have an HPI 58MM throttle body, a new in tank delphi fuel pump/fuel sender, a new coil, ECM. Funny thing is the shop just got finished doing the same thing to their shop bike due to some hard/cold starting issues LOL! They will be doing the initial start and tune after I install all the parts this fall/winter (want them to store it in an out building and gaurantee cold starting).  Would I do it again? NO I would have bought a 120R had the timken conversion done and lower end trued and welded by darkhorse. I would have used the delphi conversion on the 120R and still had my stock cases. But you know what they say about hindsight. Whats done is done and I do believe in the end it will be a fun reliable bike but it has taken a few years and is not 100% yet
Ask me again in the spring.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 21 queries.